30 replies to this topic

#1 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 859 Thanks
  • 372 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 07:41 PM

I wonder how many on here dislike Microsoft?  I battled their Anniversary Update for almost a week and finally removed it.  The update severely slowed my desktop and did not agree with the touchpad on two laptops.  And to top it off, today I go to check my Hotmail and now I have a differently looking Outlook.  The just keep shoving stuff at me i don't like.  Windows 7 was so nice, then they load a bunch of crap on Windows that took me a week or so to remove or disable.  Since they stopped support on XP I have been fooling around with Linux Mint & Ubuntu.  It was a learning curve to overcome, but I like the way they operate.  I am running those on USB sticks.  There is great support via their forums with great people on them who are willing to help out beginners.  Anyway now that I ranted about MS I feel better.  Thanks for the listening ear or eye.

• Gtractor, MH81, grnspot110 and 8 others have said thanks

#2 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 864 Thanks
  • 492 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 09:24 PM

Add me to your list.

I've got a perfectly good computer at my business running Windows XP.  It only runs 2 applications - an old version of Quicken for book keeping and my credit card processing.  Since Microsoft walked away from XP the credit card processor did too and it's hard to run cards with the error messages continually popping up.

Instead of sending $600 to Dell/Microsoft for a new computer I bought a credit card terminal - just like you see at many restaurants.  I'm going to move my book keeping to quick books and this winter I'll convert the computer to Linux.  I should get another 5 years out of it.

When they abandon Windows 7 my home computer will go to Linux too.

• MH81, Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 09:38 PM

Have a Linux unit here, but the wife wanted her 7 back. I understand.
  • WNYTractorTinkerer and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 08:02 AM

I run W7 and blocked all the update stuff from Microsoft.  MS wants to control your computer.  That is why they "gave" you W10.  I tried Linux Mint and Ubuntu and could not understand one tiny bit of it.   Could not get anything to work on it.  Took forever to load so dumped it.  Probably need another computer with that stuff on it and use it for learning, but why?  At 76 I have better things to do than try to learn a "foreign language".  What ever happened to KISMIF ??

• Gtractor, grnspot110, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#5 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 864 Thanks
  • 492 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 08:10 AM

I blocked the Win 10 upgrade too.  Someday though they'll end support for Windows 7.

• earthgrinder and chieffan have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 08:27 AM

Long time Linux user.  I got fedup with M$ back around 2002 and started messing around with Linux.  I currently use PCLOS and love it.  Rolling release, they have a very helpful community forum very much like here, a monthly mag and several services including a cloud service.  The wife is still on Win 7 but I hope to move her off before to long (I've been saying that for a while now.  :wallbanging: )

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 09:01 AM

Windows has been broken since it's inception. Now I'm too old to start messing with something new.  

Edited by Cvans, October 02, 2016 - 08:27 PM.

#8 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 09:33 AM

Basically have dumped M$, Have one laptop with 7 on it, My accounting package likes win7 and so do I.

As far as most other things I have gone to Android apps. I do check on this and a couple of other boards with my windows machine however I suspect that when the computer gives up the ghost I won't replace it with anything m$ on the sticker.

• chieffan said thank you

#9 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 859 Thanks
  • 372 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 12:25 PM

Long time Linux user.  I got fedup with M$ back around 2002 and started messing around with Linux.  I currently use PCLOS and love it.  Rolling release, they have a very helpful community forum very much like here, a monthly mag and several services including a cloud service.  The wife is still on Win 7 but I hope to move her off before to long (I've been saying that for a while now.  :wallbanging: )

That is one I have not heard of.  I use Mint & Ubuntu 16.04LTS

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#10 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 859 Thanks
  • 372 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 12:27 PM

I run W7 and blocked all the update stuff from Microsoft.  MS wants to control your computer.  That is why they "gave" you W10.  I tried Linux Mint and Ubuntu and could not understand one tiny bit of it.   Could not get anything to work on it.  Took forever to load so dumped it.  Probably need another computer with that stuff on it and use it for learning, but why?  At 76 I have better things to do than try to learn a "foreign language".  What ever happened to KISMIF ??

It took me many trys to start to "get it" with Linux, but it was worth the edit.  I am not quite at your age, but it was still a battle.  All of the ones I have tried have excellent support forums with people willing to help you.

Edited by earthgrinder, October 02, 2016 - 10:21 PM.

#11 chaoticmind OFFLINE  

chaoticmind
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 68718
  • 28 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 01:08 PM

I switched to Elementary OS (Linux) a while back. I got tired of always having to jump through hoops to get various open source software development toolchains to work on windows. On Linux, they just work.

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 06:17 PM

It took me many tired to start to "get it" with Linux, but it was worth the edit.  I am not quite at your age, but it was still a battle.  All of the ones I have tried have excellent support forums with people willing to help you.

I switched to Elementary OS (Linux) a while back. I got tired of always having to jump through hoops to get various open source software development toolchains to work on windows. On Linux, they just work.

You guys are a whole lot more computer savvy than I ever will be.  I had it for a week on a auto run CD .   May be a lot of guys willing to help but they all talk a different language (Linux) that I don't understand.  I don't mess with open source software or tool chains (what ever that is).  Just run the programs that I have installed and go to the web site I want  with no problem.  Guess when I can't run W7 any more will take a strong look at Apple.  Will never ever try to use a phone for anything but phone calls.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 07:12 PM

I will say that for just plain surfing and a little light computing, my ipad has been good.

#14 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 05:42 AM

Not affected but windows sounds like a real pain that comes back to bite you every few years. I'm still using a 10 year old MacBook Pro. 

#15 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 06:06 AM

I'm a Windows 7 holdout and have blocked all updates since early this year due to the Getwx B/S they threw at me.  I saved my favorites on a zip drive and wiped the machine and started things from scratch.  Yes, it was time consuming but my Win 7 is working perfectly and I also did the same thing to my Win 8 Laptop.  It works like a charm!  I've always used windows and have invested so much into it I really don't want to learn another OS until I absolutely have to..  

• Leonard VanCamp said thank you