• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jjln50 OFFLINE  

jjln50
  • Member No: 70768
  • 11 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 06:05 PM

I am removing a 25 hp briggs from a john deere 115c. Is there a place to mount lifting brackets? I'm by myself and its too heavy to lift. Thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 07:21 PM

If no other option is available, use a strap that cradles the entire engine. Make sure that you use additional straps to stabilize the lifting straps. Sometimes you can loosen existing bolts and bolt on lifting eyes. When I used to junk cars, I'd strip off any good looking eyes first. Couldn't find them last time I looked. Be carefull. Good Luck, Rick

• jjln50 said thank you

#3 Mtypython OFFLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 07:44 PM

take out ahead bolt go to hardware store buy eyebolts same size as head bolt

• jjln50 said thank you

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 07:56 PM

The small 10mm bolts that hold the blower housing on are to short to lift from.

They Used to have 2 lifting points on them.1 was part of the Fuel Pump bracket and the other was on the opposite side of the Dipstick that bolted to one of the rear Blower housing bolts.But they did away with those after the Vanguard engines for some reason.Newer Inteks don't have lifting brackets.

There 81lbs Not to awfully bad to lift out if you bear hug them and use your legs to lift.I'm 144lbs wet and my back is a mess.Not supposed to lift over 30lbs but I do all the time and suffer for it 30 minutes to an hour later.

If you have a ratchet strap you could wrap it around the bottom of the engine and up over the flywheel cover and use the ratchet part to hook your hoist up to.That should be more than enough for 81lbs.

• jjln50 said thank you

#5 jjln50 OFFLINE  

jjln50
  • Member No: 70768
  • 11 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up wrapping a ratchet strap around the engine twice and over the top to use as a sling for chain hoist worked great. Thanks all.

• Alc said thank you