5 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 05:03 PM

Put this under White as that is what the engine is in.  Where on the blower housing are the Model, Type, and Code numbers on a Briggs L-head?  I can only see the top without removing a bunch of tin work starting with the whole nose piece.  Thanks much.

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 07:57 PM

Most are along top of shroud right where it meets the head. Newer ones more than the older. SOME have it on side of shroud, stamped vertical, OR have even seen small plates with info riveted on same places. Even newer ones may just be stickers now days and many times worn off or gone. AND, have had some engines, like on my Speedex that NEVER had stampings  or other ID on them at all. Have had some pretty rusty and not seen till you blast the shroud and clean it good that way, but that would be a rare time. This also would include when people paint them, many times with a brush, heh!  Get a good light and one of those mirrors with flexible head on a pen like extension and look into tight spots with that. I use that method a lot now that I'm older and can't see as well.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,748 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 08:10 PM

Once again, I agree with Gary. Along with being a snappy dresser and a good dancer, he's a fountain of knowledge.
  • chieffan said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 09:07 PM

Thank much guys.  I agree that they put them in various places and ways.  The Briggs site said it was on the blower housing and that is all.  Guess I will have to start pulling pieces off till I find them.  Head covers were gone when I got the tractor so the replacements aren't valid.

#5 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 08:33 AM

You say "L" head.
But, it's a horizontally opposed twin right?
If so the numbers should be stamped here;
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Joe

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 07:39 AM

Your right Rock Farmer.  Normally that is the case.  But those pieces were not with the tractor when I got it.  Replaced with other tin that fit but from another era of engine so no numbers at all.

Pulled it all apart yesterday and no numbers on the blower housing either.  Found the mag was set to close to the flywheel.  Also there are two wires from the alternator, red and black.  Someone had the diode in the black wire.  Diode was good so put it in line with the red wire for charging.  Hopefully that will work now.  When I try to hook the other wire up to the black wire I get sparks.  That side of the stator is shorted.  No big deal as I don't use the lights anyway.  Very seldom hook the light system up unless it is a simply plug and play.  Parts run this morning for points, condenser, and plugs and hopefully have it back running again by noon.  Maybe it will charge now.  If not will put a charger on it once in a while.  425CCA battery will start it for a long time as that is the only draw on the system.

• Rock farmer said thank you