9 replies to this topic

#1 theck4291 OFFLINE  

theck4291
  • Member No: 81055
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 04:54 PM

MTD 6 speed 13.5 HP 344CC Briggs and Stratton OHV

Well, as my title says, got my first complete rebuild finished. New piston, honed out cylinder, finally figured out the throttle plate, now on to my question. 

While in idle, and idle ONLY, it backfires some. Now, my flywheel key did shear as I did not tighten down the flywheel enough, and just engaging the blades sheared it. So I realigned the broken key(looks exact, but may be off) and I know my intake and exhaust valves are aligned properly, and while driving, and cutting, it seems to be fine, however when I engage the clutch it starts to back fire some.... Any ideas? Thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 05:34 PM

Congrats on the rebuilding job. Replace the key! No two ways about that. Change the oil after the first running(1/2 hour max.). Adjust the valves again. Try running it again and adjusting the carb. Good Luck, Rick
  • Alc and theck4291 have said thanks

#3 theck4291 OFFLINE  

theck4291
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 05:35 PM

Should I change the oil even if I completely cleaned the crankcase of sludge and wiped everything out and already replaced the oil? Also, honestly, I have NO clue how to adjust the carb... This is all still a learning experience for me

Thanks!

#4 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 849 Thanks
  • 487 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 05:47 PM

The point of the quick oil change isn't because of sludge.  It's to get rid of any debris from the rebuild and from break in wear.

• tractorgarden, dthomp17, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 05:50 PM

Yes changing the oil due to anything leftover that you may have missed plus in initial run up small metal particles are shed and mix with the oil. I usually change the oil 2 or three times after a rebuild just to make sure nothing wears prematurely.
  • Alc, dthomp17, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 theck4291 OFFLINE  

theck4291
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 07:06 PM

ok cool. I have already done 1 oil change, aaaaaaannd honestly its because I forgot to get a fuel shutoff valve, and I think my needle is stuck because I flooded the engine and it ruined the oil so I HAD to change it.... but that was already after like 15-20 minutes of running, so I should be good right?

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 07:38 PM

If that needle valve is stuck, don't run the engine until it is fixed. Gas in the oil will reduce the oils' ability to lubricate, this can cause damage to parts. When all is fixed, do another oil change. Oil changes with a good oil are cheap insurance against internal engine problems. Good Luck, Rick

#8 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 09:52 PM

Not a dig but I find if you try and take the easy route things don't end well. Get everything fixed up and give it a good 45 min run and change that oil again, you won't come to regret the outcome. If you don't and your engine has a catastrophic detonation please shoot a video and post it!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#9 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 309 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 12:06 AM

If your carb. is dumping gas from that needle leak unburned gas will ignite in the muffler

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,303 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 01:08 AM

Gas in the oil will burn the rings up extremely fast (Within Minutes) and possibly seize the connecting rod to the crank and BAM Connecting rod shatters and blows a nice big hole in the block.

Get every drop of gas out of your oil.It dilutes oil.10w 30 is pretty thin to begin with and you can't get every drop of gas out of it without changing it atleast twice.

Is your coil on the correct way?Kill wire on bottom spark plug lead on top.I gap mine with a piece of cereal box.There about .010 thick which is perfect.turn the flywheel till the magnet meets the coil and loosen the coil it and put the hunk of cereal box between them and tighten it up.Then turn the flywheel and the hunk of cereal box will loosen enough to pull out.

Replace the Flywheel Key ASAP (Briggs Part number 222698S) and get a new Float needle (Briggs part number 696136) before you run it again.Also replace the spark plug if your still using the original spark plug.It may be fouled.

These newer Briggs Float needles are the Ethanol safe ones.The old needles get hard (because of the Ethanol) and cause them to no longer seal.They are a little Pricey at $8-$15 each but it will save you from blowing your engine due to gas getting in the oil every time you shut the engine off.

http://www.ebay.com/...fgAAOSwLnBX5817