• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ezridr60 OFFLINE  

ezridr60
  • Member No: 84818
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 01:51 PM

Good day all.  New to the forum.  The aforementioned belt change googled me here!  I've got this 1992/3 WH 246H.  I was rehabbing the mower deck and crawled under the tractor to check things out.  The belt, engine pulley to hydro pump is in sorry shape.  Got the belt P/N, but I'm at a loss as to what needs to be done to replace the belt.  Looks like disassembly of most of the lower end plus the steering.  I did search the manual section here, no help there.  Re the steering, there is a cap over the center of the steering wheel, I'm assuming a nut underneath, but this cap is proving difficult to remove, may have been glued on?  And I see a roll pin, looks like it secures wheel to shaft.   Beating it with a brass drift yields no results.  Questions are twofold.  How do I get the steering wheel off?  What needs to be removed to change out the belt?

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 02:52 PM

Welcome to GTT. First, don't play with the steering wheel. There is no way that WH would do something that stupid. Chances are there is a simple way to replace the belt. We need to find the correct manual. Post some pics of your machine. There may be a similar machine but under a different name. Good Luck, Rick

#3 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 04:10 PM

:welcometogttalk:  and I agree with Rick. There are plenty of people here that can offer good advice on this site. post some pics and I'm sure someone can help.  I'm not familiar with that brand, but good luck, Tom

#4 ezridr60 OFFLINE  

ezridr60
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 08:16 PM

Toro 4.jpg Toro 3.jpg Toro 2.jpg Toro 1.jpg

Welcome to GTT. First, don't play with the steering wheel. There is no way that WH would do something that stupid. Chances are there is a simple way to replace the belt. We need to find the correct manual. Post some pics of your machine. There may be a similar machine but under a different name. Good Luck, Rick

Ok, here we go lets see if this works.  The Model # 72081, (246H) S/N 3900888  Had this machine for quite awhile, but not in use for about the last 10 years.  I have the tractor owners manual (not much help) and an IPC and manual for the mower deck. And thanks for the responses.

Edited by ezridr60, October 01, 2016 - 08:17 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 03:22 AM

Your tractor is a 1993 model and this is the service manual for it

http://www.wheelhors...sm-492-4765pdf/

Garry

Adding - Toro names this model as a 240-Series but list the 260-Series service manual as appropriate. Hope they are correct.

Added it to the 1993 models - same file as above

Edited by GWest, October 02, 2016 - 07:14 AM.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#6 ezridr60 OFFLINE  

ezridr60
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 11:51 AM

Your tractor is a 1993 model and this is the service manual for it

Garry

Adding - Toro names this model as a 240-Series but list the 260-Series service manual as appropriate. Hope they are correct.

Added it to the 1993 models - same file as above

Thanks for the links. I think a couple of differences in the 240 vs 260 series were speed control (hand lever vs. foot pedal) and fuel tank location. 260 may have a tilt wheel, other than that probably close enough.

#7 ezridr60 OFFLINE  

ezridr60
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 08:03 PM

Got the belt changed. Not as difficult as I had imagined. Now that I've done it, probably a 3-4 hour, 3 beer job! I do have another question, please. For as long as I've had this thing the engine stack of pulleys and pto clutch have been noisy whenever the pto is not engaged. I've adjusted the clutch per the manual, and it wasn't really that far off. Still noisy. Without the pto engaged and the engine off, not running, I can spin the bottom 2 pulleys (mower drive pulleys) by hand on the crank shaft. Is this supposed to be like this?

Edit: Just pulled the debris cover off the top of engine. Put a socket on either end of the crank, both are tight. Thought maybe the bottom bolt may have been loose, it ain't.

Edited by ezridr60, October 08, 2016 - 08:32 PM.