• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Chucktin ONLINE  

Chucktin
  • Member No: 81957
  • 38 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted November 22, 2016 - 09:20 PM

We had black walnut trees in the Chicago suburb (Cicero) where I grew up. Good for nothing but squirrel bait. Must be a different variety?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#17 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,977 Thanks
  • 1,318 posts

Posted November 23, 2016 - 09:32 AM

here are the locations that will buy your walnuts

https://black-walnut...ying-locations/

That map shows one within 4 miles of my house. I might have to go walnut hunting next year. it pays better than scrap steel

Edited by tater195, November 23, 2016 - 09:35 AM.

• Gtractor and lyall have said thanks

#18 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,928 Thanks
  • 1,504 posts

Posted October 19, 2017 - 09:00 PM

been a good year for my this year picking up walnut

So far I have picking over 6250 lbs of walnuts - got 15 cent a lbs - same as last year

the buyer is open until Nov 5

not planning on picking up very much more for this year.

Just get the ones from across the street, most trees around town are just about done dropping the walnut.

Going to let the squirrel have them.

some days I am out picking up walnut for 6 hours a day, getting 3 or 4 cart loads ( 10 cu ft cart)

one cart load will fill 3 tubs full

for the month of Sept I picked up around 3860 lbs and they filling 106 tubs

we weights one of the tubs and it weighted over 55 lbs  before they went thru the machine to remove the husk

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#19 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,994 Thanks
  • 6,164 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 12:49 PM

​Closest buyer to me is over an hour away.  Certainly not worth hauling a load that far.  Have a lot better things to do with my time then picking up walnuts.  Mrs picks them up so she is not steeping on them.  Then they get hauled to the brush pile and burned.

#20 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 404 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 01:01 PM

This is an excellent thread!!  Picking walnuts and selling them is something more people should do.  Nice going.

Walnuts are quite valuable.  I have two stories:

First is long ago when I was in high school. I had a lawn business in the town not far from where we farmed.  Made a lot of money at that, that paid for first two years of my post secondary education.  It was awesome.  Anyway, an old lady I did a lot of work for cutting grass weekly, storm windows twice a year, gutters, garden, leaves etc etc used to have me collect walnuts for her in other peoples yards that I had business with.  I had over 30 yards weekly, so I had access to lots.  Not sure about the walnut itself, but she would take the husks and grind them up outside in a vat, add hot water and an alcohol (don't remember which one, iso-propyl maybe) and ferment them to make wood stain that she would sell to people all over the globe.  She also did some wood staining herself, it was stunning what it looked like.  She is dead and gone now at least 25 years ago but the memory remains.

Second is present.  I do a lot of work in the oil and gas industry as a chemist, walnut shells are a very expensive and highly regarded media for filtration in the oil industry in many conventional and non-conventional oils.  Depending on well type and API grade of oil, the oil comes up as a water/oil emulsion that needs to be chemically and many times thermally resolved in a Free water knock out vessel followed by a flotation vessel.  After this, the water portion is cleaned up of residual oil before it is re-used downhole as the push fluid or disposed.  The filters are called ORF's, oil removal filters, which are big filters the size of a van upright that are filled with walnut shell media crushed to a certain size.  The walnut shells have an affinity for the oil, but not enough that it cannot be backwashed clean.  A clever design.  Also, these are used in thermal SAGD oil-sands projects that have warm-lime softening.  Same idea, giant filters filled with walnut shells called LSF's, Lime softening filters.  Pretty cool.  This walnut media is worth a lot of money!!!  A large thermal oil producing plant can spend over a half a million dollars a year of walnut shell media.

• Gtractor, Alc, lyall and 3 others have said thanks

#21 Bob E OFFLINE  

Bob E
  • Member No: 85024
  • 104 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted October 23, 2017 - 06:11 PM

It's not worthwhile for me to sell what falls in my yard either. I gave a bunch away to relatives, put some out at the street for free, and the squirrels can have the left overs.

#22 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,928 Thanks
  • 1,504 posts

Posted October 28, 2017 - 10:42 PM

so far this year I picked up just under 7000 lb of walnuts.

asked the buyer about how many lbs of walnuts he had got so far.

He said he should have around 90,000 lbs for this years.  One week leaf for him for this year.

He sent a load out that was 50,000 lbs two weeks ago

He said he has people coming from over 100 miles away.

Last year he got around 60,000 lbs and 80,000 lbs the year before.

• Gtractor, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#23 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,779 Thanks
  • 4,767 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 02:18 AM

I hate walnut trees and the ankle twisting "residue" they drop this time of year.

With 4 Walnut trees in my immediate yard its a good way to get injured.

Gave them to a picker-upper guy and it was a full month before he got here to get them and then the grass had grown up making them hard to retrieve.  He complained the whole time he was here and only did one tree then left.  I knew when he left he wouldn't be back.   main problem is he worked under a tree that is way out there instead of the one I have to walk under all the time - which had a much thicker crop.  :wallbanging:

• KennyP said thank you

#24 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,977 Thanks
  • 1,318 posts

Posted October 29, 2017 - 11:22 AM

I was thinking about making some thing like the golf ball picker uppers they use at the driving range and pull it with a GT