lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,396 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 08:28 PM

For the last month I have been going around town picking up walnut from peoples yards, plus mine own yard.  I took them in to a local buyer and I had around 3650 pounds after he bagged them.

Got 15 cent a pound this year for them.  Only one guy pays me to pick them up.

I am about done for this year picking up walnuts - the trees are about done for this year.

I helped a guy haul his walnuts to the buyer and he had over 4650 pounds of the walnuts.

We use tubs that framers get for minerals for there live stock.

We can put around 90 pounds of walnuts it a tub, that have the husk on them.

I had 99 tubs so far this year.  the guy I helped had over 130 tubs.

The buyer has a machine that removes the husk from the walnuts and bags them.

I regular load of tubs on my pickup is 10, but I have had 18 tubs on my pickup half ton pickup.

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 08:33 PM

Wow. Never heard about that before. Selling walnuts. No walnuts around my area I guess.

Noel

#3 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 08:34 PM

Sounds like you have gotten 8910 pounds this year for 1336.50 that's good money!

#4 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • Member No: 83574
  • 18 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 08:58 PM

I have black walnuts in my yard. Took two pickup loads off my lawn and dumped them in the woods. I'm guessing if black walnuts were worth 5 cents a ton I probably wouldn't have any in my yard. Oh well next year I won't have to pick them up, my trees only have nut every other year.

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 09:22 PM

I planted a black walnut tree last year, it's doing well at almost two feet tall. I don't plan on harvesting anything from it in my lifetime, I hear they're slow growers.

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,574 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 10:56 PM

I have 5 walnut trees in my yard and they are good for nothing but twisting an ankle.  If I pick them up and bag them someone would come take them for free but nobody will come and pick them up.  That would require effort on their part.  :mad2:

There is a guy that buys them about 20-25 miles away but I can't crawl, stoop or bend enough to get at them. Barely pays gas money to haul them in anyhow.

Used to have a co-worker that had a wire wheel that rolled along and picked them up. Still a pain in the keester but at least I could remove them. I borrowed his walnut picker and he'd borrow my broadcast spreader in trade.  Then he bought his own broadcast spreader. 

:wallbanging:  

Gotta make sure the discharge chute of the mower isn't headed towards anything when I mow because those things will go right through a window.  A good portion get mashed down in the dirt while mowing.  :(

I just need more squirrels. A whole lot more.

• Cvans, propane1, MGP59DB and 1 other said thanks

#7 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,396 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 11:47 PM

this is something like what I use the pick up the walnuts

http://nutwizard.com/

• Alc said thank you

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 05:27 AM

Great to hear your helping people by picking up the nuts and making some money for your self . We planted a few nut trees and used to get about a half to sometimes full paper grocery bag . At the time we had an outdoor cat that was a good hunter . He couldn't kill adult squirrels but killed enough baby ones to let them know they weren't welcomed . Since he's gone the squirrels get every one

#9 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 988 Thanks
  • 504 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 07:26 AM

I don't have any walnut tree's in my yard . There are at least 4 of them nearby so the squirrels help me out and haul the nuts into my yard . Ankle twisters is right .

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 07:53 AM

Have one Walnut tree right by the house.  Dirtiest darn tree there ever was.  All those long stems love to get in the gutter guard.  Then the leaves fall & get into everything they are not supposed to, like water fountains and the water less ponds.  Carolyn picks up the walnuts with one of those grabbers with the cups on the end.  Works good, especially this year as not many nuts.  Usually get a couple big yard carts full.  Walnut buyers won't take the tree as it is to close to the house.  So guess I am stuck with the tree.

• Gtractor and Bob E have said thanks

#11 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 08:17 PM

I planted a black walnut tree last year, it's doing well at almost two feet tall. I don't plan on harvesting anything from it in my lifetime, I hear they're slow growers.

When I was a teenager, my PawPaw went around to all of his kids houses(my aunts and uncles) planting fruit trees. I asked him about it one day. He said I'll never see any fruit from these trees. He told me you plant fruit and nut trees for the next generation to have.

Walnut trees are very slow growers. The wood is very valuable. Some sawyers won't take the logs because long ago people thought that iron would help the trees bear more nuts so they would drive nails and iron spikes into the trunks.

I forget what walnut husks are used for but they are used for some thing. The shells are used for blasting media and for making resinlike sculptures. The meat is used by mom to make the worlds best Italian cream cake. I've had black hands more than once from husking and cracking walnuts by hand. A bushel basket of walnuts from my grandmas tree, a hammer and a brick and you were in the shelling business and on the way to a cake.
  • lyall, Cat385B and Sawdust have said thanks

#12 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,396 posts

Posted October 15, 2016 - 05:37 PM

finish for this year with over 4500 lbs of walnuts.

how I got to clean the garden and flower beds off and shred it all for the compose post.

#13 Bob E OFFLINE  

Bob E
  • Member No: 85024
  • 21 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 10:04 PM

Walnut has to be about the worst tree you could plant next to your house. I have 4 big old walnut trees right next to my house. :wallbanging: 

I can barely give the nuts away. How do you find folks willing to buy them?

#14 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,396 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 05:56 PM

here are the locations that will buy your walnuts

https://black-walnut...ying-locations/

• Alc and Bob E have said thanks

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 06:49 PM

When I was young, I picked up black walnuts too.  Took them to Southern States where I now work and sold them.  A pickup bed level to sides would bring $25 to $30 hulled.  May not sound like much, but it was back around 1970.  Our hands would be black from the oils in the rotting hulls.

• lyall and KennyP have said thanks