• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 1,139 posts

Posted February 08, 2017 - 12:59 PM

I contacted the UK division of PPG via email, giving them the 22390 code and telling them that it was for a US built tractor. They were very responsive and we swapped a few emails which unfortunately ending with them stating the obvious, which was that it was an US colour and they were unable to help.

I then contacted PPG in the US a couple of times but they have not responded. You would have thought that an exact match can be found with the code and that PPG should be able to help. The challange is getting through to the right person. Whilst typing this a thought has dropped into my head. I will contact PPG in the UK again and ask for contact information for the US office.

Iain

Iain,

Keep me posted on this development.

Thanks Andrew
  • slf-uk said thank you

#17 slf-uk OFFLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 356 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted February 08, 2017 - 01:56 PM

Quick update. With some persistence I have managed to get hold of the contact details for someone who works in the PPG colour library in the US and they have agreed to help.

I originally only asked about suppliers in the UK however I have now also asked about suppliers in the US too. I will let everyone know if I find out anything useful.

Iain

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, backwoods and 1 other said thanks

#18 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 1,139 posts

Posted February 08, 2017 - 02:04 PM

Be useful to get a colour code specific to the UK for my HT20.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#19 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,597 Thanks
  • 2,806 posts

Posted February 08, 2017 - 02:11 PM

Well i had called the paint rep an the main counter at my warehouse for martin senour an he tried to cross the ditzler into an of our paint products an nothing showed up he looked under fmc fleet an husky fleet as well, so with out a newer ppg to cross over unfortunately at this time we cant cross it. He did say however if somebody has a part that hasn't seen the sun like something from the under carriage that was covered in grease to preserve the color that would be the best way.

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix, ClassicBolens and 1 other said thanks

#20 slf-uk OFFLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 356 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted February 08, 2017 - 04:33 PM

I have just received a reply from my new contact at the PPG colour library. I asked them about these two colour codes:

Gold - 22390 FMC Husky tractor gold

White - 8377 FMC Husky tractor white

I also asked if they had a record of any other FMC/Bolens colours and asked about availability in the US and UK. They confirmed that they have no record of the two colours above which I means the only option is to scan a NOS part to find a close match. It's not all bad news as it confirms that the code is not going to give the answer and they did find a Bolens white called Ivory and they have supplied the details. Does anyone know what tractor this is used on?

If anyone can think of any other questions I should ask them please let me know.

Details of the reply send to me:

Iain,

I have a PPG Brand Code 28069 for Bolens Tractor.  It is called Ivory.  It is the only white or for that matter, only color I show for Bolens Tractor.  Unfortunately, I have no record of any kind on the Gold or the White with the number you show.  The 28069 can be mixed in a number of different paint lines in the United States.  Your friend can call 800-647-6050 and choose option 3 for Color Library to locate a paint Distributor in the US who can mix this paint. 

In England, I do not know who can help you, and the paint is different in England than the US.  You could go to a PPG Distributor and give them the 28069 number and see whether they can do anything with it in the paint lines they have available.

Otherwise, the only answer is trying to get a match for the color by taking a sample to a local Distributor and having them try to match it, either with chips or any equipment they have available to do so.  In the US we have a machine called RapidMatch or a Spectrophotometer which will “read” a color sample and match to available paint formulas which are very close to the same color.  I do not know if this is used in the UK, but suspect it is.   Your friend in the US can definitely find a Distributor who has the ability to do this. 

I hope this helps you.

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 2 others have said thanks

#21 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,053 posts

Posted February 08, 2017 - 05:30 PM

Sounds like I'm going to have to do this the old fashioned way ........

• blackjackjakexxix, backwoods, ClassicBolens and 1 other said thanks

#22 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,243 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 03:19 AM

Brian, didn't you have a part that was the gold? My brother in law owns a body shop and he says he just sends a sample to his "paint guy" and they match the sample, mix and send the paint. We recently painted my dads 78' Holiday rambler rv there. His "paint guy" did a great job matching the paint. I actually thought the paint he mixed for the rv was darn close to Bolens white. I just checked and his paint guy is Sherman Williams. Here is the rv, looks Bolens white. LOL!

Attached Thumbnails

• rv.jpg

Edited by fonz3482, February 09, 2017 - 03:24 AM.

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, backwoods and 1 other said thanks