• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 08:52 AM

Good haul of potatoes. I emptied my potato box gardens last week. The yield of Russets is quite pathetic. May have to improve the strategy here. i be tightening my belt this winter😜

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by Jazz, October 01, 2016 - 03:32 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#17 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 07:53 PM

How do you dig up your potatoes?

We use a 5000 pound harvester pulled by a 3020 Deere and drops them into a 200 bushel gravity wagon.
  • oldedeeres, propane1 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#18 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 12:44 PM

Opposite end of the scale here. I get down on my knees and dig by hand, about 250 lbs. this year. I just hate spiking the occasional one with the fork tines. Once I'm down on my knees it's easier to stay there and keep crawling along, filling the pails as I go.
  • massey driver, Team_Green, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#19 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 09:41 AM

Opposite end of the scale here. I get down on my knees and dig by hand, about 250 lbs. this year. I just hate spiking the occasional one with the fork tines. Once I'm down on my knees it's easier to stay there and keep crawling along, filling the pails as I go.

Sounds very familiar... I want to rig up a potato plow though...

#20 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 11:20 PM

Nice bunch of baked taters!  Tater salads!  Fried taters!  Smashed taters!

I dig mine slowly with a shovel, loosen soil and dig through with gloves on.  My soil is mixed soil and sand, I till asunder for a 60' x 70' garden 10 bales of straw before I get started each spring, along with lots of fresh mowed grass. so it's easy digging.  I do need to dedicate a tater patch and bring the ph down from 7.2~4 in spots to 5.5ish for better yield.  I plan on getting a middle buster for the taters next year, buy or build depends on how much free time and free metal I can come up with.  I've got a start on a 3-point hiller, I just need to dust off the welder and get r done.  My hills keep getting longer and longer and longer.... Did I mention I love taters!!  I started with an 8 foot hill for a couple years, moved up to 2 - 10 foot rows and this year.... this year I did 3 -rows, each 30 foot.  This may not seem like much to ya'll, but that's a lot of taters for me to eat, but, yea, I am getting r done.  2 rows dug, 2 - 5 gallon pales left to eat.  It's amazing on just how many friends drop by when I'm working in the garden... I love it!  But I do lose a lot of veggies, kinda makes my ego swell everyone loves what I raise.  Oh, 1 - 30' row of German Butterballs are still in the ground.  This is the first time I have tried these.... they are a super huge hit!  I like variety, but I think I'll drop the Yukons and do mostly GBs with some red Norlands next year.  The reds make excellent fries.

Apologies to the OP, I sometimes talk too much.  Back to our regularly scheduled show.

• Alc, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#21 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,562 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 05:09 AM

We dig ours by hand with a shovel, only 3 thirty foot rows. I have to change something somewhere, we only got small and medium taters this year. After helping my dad dig his, I realized how pitiful our crop was. His were all medium to large with a few jumbo.
  • oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#22 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 12:52 PM

Sounds like some good advice. We did do a lot of watering this year compaired to last. We are still learning, as this is only our second season planting tatoes. Question regarding planting. When you cut up the tatoe, do you plant it right away, or leave it dry out foe a week, then plant?

Me and the wife have a disagreement, she reads to much on the interweb, and she said you need to cut them, dry them then plant. I on the other hand go by watching my mother and father when I was little, and they would cut and drop...

Last year, we cut and dropped, and had better than this year results. So, could this be an issue, or just coincidence?

I cut and put cut down in cookie sheet with water in it. Once im done cutting i let em be for a hour then plant. always cut facing down. Cover with 4 inches dirt , when the plant is high enough i hill and only leave 6 inches of the plant out of the hill..

#23 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,562 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 04:01 PM

I cut and put cut down in cookie sheet with water in it. Once im done cutting i let em be for a hour then plant. always cut facing down. Cover with 4 inches dirt , when the plant is high enough i hill and only leave 6 inches of the plant out of the hill..

Welcome back TG! Did you get the big cycle ride done?

#24 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 08:22 PM

Nice taters Noel!

• propane1 said thank you