• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 07:36 PM

Dug 140 lbs today. First picture is Green Mountian potatoes, second picture is Yukon Gem. I figure I have about 260lbs still to dig. Which will be tomorrow. Hoping to have a helper tomorrow.
These are from the field my neighbor lets me use. He also is kind enough to let me use his ford 3000 tractor with disks to do up my patch for next year. I plowed this a month ago for practise before our plow match and to make a new spot for next years crop.
One sun flower has come up. Never noticed it before and I have not been to the potatoe patch in about a month. So it must of grew with in the last 4 to 6 weeks.
So the owner of the field is getting his share of potatoes. Greased up the disks and loader on his tractor today. And will put fuel in it tomorrow.

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• daytime dave, Alc, KennyP and 11 others have said thanks

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 09:50 PM

Fresh fried spuds. Boy are those good. 

Nice looking garden. Your really lucky to have a neighbor like that. Gardening can't get much cheaper.  :thumbs:

• propane1 said thank you

#3 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 11:00 PM

I love digging potatoes... just like Christmas, you never know what you're going to get! Nice crop you have there.
  • Alc, Sawdust, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#4 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 11:35 PM

Nice bunch of tatoes.

Anyone here a tatoe expert? Sorry, don't want to hijack your thread, just maybe some advice...

This year, bout 50% of out tatoes are really deformed. Ain't many "normal" ones, they got big deep grooves, crevasses, just an ugly tatoe. Any ideas? They are the red ones if that makes a difference...

They'll eat, but so much waist peeling them, and hard to cook with the skins on cause you can't get down in the grooves.

Thanks for any info. :thumbs:  

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 02:58 AM

Nice bunch of tatoes.

Anyone here a tatoe expert? Sorry, don't want to hijack your thread, just maybe some advice...

This year, bout 50% of out tatoes are really deformed. Ain't many "normal" ones, they got big deep grooves, crevasses, just an ugly tatoe. Any ideas? They are the red ones if that makes a difference...

They'll eat, but so much waist peeling them, and hard to cook with the skins on cause you can't get down in the grooves.

Thanks for any info. :thumbs:  

Change varieties, unless you have hard ground that the potato has to work to grow , it is probably the variety of potato your using.

Kenbec's, often get irregular shaped and don't role as nice ,but are a good potato. But we always preferred Superior , the name says it all

• Alc, Sawdust, zippy1 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 06:41 AM

bout 50% of out tatoes are really deformed

I agree with Halfscale in that some varieties do seem to be nicer looking than others. Could be something missing in your soil the spuds need also. 

Our Yukon Gold spuds came out nice. Just love the flavor of those. 

• Sawdust, zippy1, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#7 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 10:22 AM

That's a lot of good eating their. I've never had a bad plate of potatoes in my life. I can eat them any way you can get them on the plate. We put a small crop out just to see how they would do because of having such hard clay to deal with. Surprisingly they did well. We're like oldedeeres always exciting to see what happened under all that dirt & labor. We also put out Kenebec's some had little heads on them but were still good. We also know we probably needed something else in the soil....like real dirt.

I know the Yucon's are good but never heard of the Green Mountain...have to try them next year.

• Alc, KennyP, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#8 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 11:43 AM

Green mountains even taste better than Yukon gold, but they tend to fall apart, like Irish cobblers, while boiling them,
228 lb today. All done diggin.
Noel.
  • KennyP, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#9 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 04:07 PM

How do you dig up your potatoes?
  • zippy1 said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 04:27 PM

How do you dig up your potatoes?

Very uncarefully!

• oldedeeres, zippy1, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#11 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 05:08 PM

I have never had a Russet with the splits you mentioned, just different varieties of reds (perhaps because they tend to be round rather than long and relatively slim?) This year both my A.C. Perigrine and Sangre had some splits. One theory is irregular moisture, whether rain or watering. They just grow too quickly after a spell of relatively slow growth and the skin splits, a groove forms and then heals over. I agree, they are a pain to clean and peel !

• Sawdust and zippy1 have said thanks

#12 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 05:40 PM

Taters tend to go hollow, if had no rain , then get a lot of rain and they grow to quick.

Noel
  • oldedeeres, Sawdust and zippy1 have said thanks

#13 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 12:07 AM

Sounds like some good advice. We did do a lot of watering this year compaired to last. We are still learning, as this is only our second season planting tatoes. Question regarding planting. When you cut up the tatoe, do you plant it right away, or leave it dry out foe a week, then plant?

Me and the wife have a disagreement, she reads to much on the interweb, and she said you need to cut them, dry them then plant. I on the other hand go by watching my mother and father when I was little, and they would cut and drop...

Last year, we cut and dropped, and had better than this year results. So, could this be an issue, or just coincidence?

• Alc, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 01:57 AM

I do as your folks do, cut and drop, although I have heard the other theory too. Generally spuds grow regardless and are pretty tolerant.
  • Alc, Sawdust and zippy1 have said thanks

#15 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 04:55 AM

I cut them, leave for about one to two hours. This drys the cut part. I don't see the need for a longer drying time. I spread them out to let the sun and wind at them. You can just feel some to see how dry they are. The reason for this drying part, is it helps to keep the potatoe from rotting when planted.

Noel
  • Alc, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks