• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 05:23 AM

After viewing Poncho's thread with the front mount mount mower(formerly a tow behind), I came up with the idea of using my deck(to many problems to use under the tractor) as a shaft driven 'bush hog' type mower. I have the PTO shaft to the rear for the tiller. If I can find another 90 degree box(like the tiller has) and mount it to the mower to power it, all I would need is a set of swivel wheels at the back to make one. Right now I am looking for input as to whether this sounds like something that I could do. Any suggestions (pro & con) out there?
Mounting would be similar as the tiller to aid in u-joint angles.
If pics are needed to help visualize this, I will get them posted.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 05:36 AM

Now the old "wheels" are turning,I can almost smell the smoke.:bigrofl::bigrofl:

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 05:37 AM

Had to turn on the attic fan to clear it out. LOL

#4 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 05:39 AM

I agree......To keep the driveshaft "U" joints in line, a 3 point hitch is the way to go....You would also have to make sure that the 90 degree box would be turning the blades in the right direction. The 3 point hitch has an advantage too as you can set your cutting height with that..... The Ford PTO turns at engine speed, so you are good there.
  • KennyP said thank you

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 05:40 AM

Had to turn on the attic fan to clear it out. LOL

LOL.

I think it is definitely doable. The hardest part is going to be to get a gear box that is going to work. Gotta make sure you get one that has the proper output speed that you will need for the mower deck. If your pto is 2,000 rpm and then the gear box is meant for 540 rpm then those mower blades are going to be taking flight LOL
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about if the tiller gearbox is gear reducing nor direction the out put shaft turns. The Ford PTO shaft is engine speed. Lots to think about here. Hopefully, when the smoke clears, I will know if I have speed and direction correct to work. Partial speed problems could be worked out with pulleys from the gearbox to mower deck. Main thing to look at seems to be if the gearbox is turning the right direction on output.
Keep the suggestions coming guys. May be tomorrow before I know about a few things, but wanted to get you guys warmed up on the idea.

#7 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 06:14 AM

I am pretty positive that the 90 degree box is 1:1 speed....The tiller speed is reduced by 3 chains inside the tiller case.......

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 06:19 AM

I believe you are correct. I'll look at the parts manual for that. What direction does a K341 turn at the flywheel, CW or CCW? I think it is clockwise. Boy, the smoke is getting bad here. May have to repaint.

P.S. Checked the parts, gears inside the box are the same part #, so 1:1 speed there. If it is turning CW going in, am I correct that it turns CW on output? My mind tells me it does.

Edited by KennyP, May 27, 2011 - 06:28 AM.
Added Comment

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 05:50 AM

Haven't given up on this. Hopefully, I'll find time to look closer at things this weekend. Hard part is getting everything spread out, then put back.
Sitting here thinking about direction(CW or CCW), the deck does turn CW, which means the engine and PTO are CW. I need to see how long the output shaft is on the tiller gearbox.
Poncho, I am thinking of cloning the way the tiller hooks to the tractor, which is a three point of sorts. That should keep the u-joints & gearbox near the designed angles. A pair of swivel trailing wheels would keep the mower from scalping if the tractor went thru a low spot.
If it can be done with out too much engineering, I will be looking for a donor tiller for the needed parts.

#10 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 05:53 AM

A 90 degree gear box from a MF10-12 might be easier to find.......might not be as strong though, although they are designed to run a deck

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 06:10 AM

Either will probably be hard to find in my neck of the woods. With shipping costs so high, may not be cost effective. I was looking toward the Jake tiller as a lot of the parts are a bolt on for the Ford. That would give an extra drive line and attachment-to-tractor parts.

#12 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 06:24 AM

Here is a pic of my Ford tiller...not sure if you have one.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pretty sure, standing behind machine, the PTO turns clockwise, which would mean that if that 90 degree box was turned downwards, that the shaft there would turn counter clockwise.
  • KennyP said thank you

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 06:38 AM

If you run into problems with the blade directions I believe there are some decks made for the opposite direction , the chute is on the left . Would you need to use one of those telescoping pto shafts so the deck could pivot independently of the tractor ?
  • KennyP said thank you

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 06:44 AM

If you extended the 3 point arms, would that give you room to mount the 90 out in front of the deck and have it pointing up? It would drop your PTO shaft quite a bit tho... Check the angles as the worst angles on them would be while in operation.

I think it was the AC-B that had a serpentine belt because of this. They had a pulley right on the PTO shaft, and then this crazy belt setup to get the mower spinning the right way and direction. It was their belly mower, but the same problems with speed, direction, and movement.
  • KennyP said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 06:47 AM

Poncho, thanks. I do have a tiller, just would need a donor for the extra parts needed.
Alc, I my minds eye, the Ford deck turns CW(right hand discharge), so the PTO pulley turns CW(Viewing from seat). Which makes everything turn CW.
Simpler solution would be to use a cheap engine on the deck. Not sure yet if I want to go simple. Takes the fun out of it.