• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 07:56 AM

Some of those lights have both a clear and a red bulb in them, and they had a switch on them where you could either turn the red bulb or the clear bulb on. This way you could use the same light as a taillight or a work light. I'm not sure if that rear light was an option on the PK, but I wouldn't doubt it. The rear light with the red and clear bulbs in it is a DO-RAY-510 E, and the same light with just the clear bulb for the front is a DO-RAY 510. I'm working on a pair of the front lights that I got from member username for my PK.
  • Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#17 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 983 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 12:00 PM

Hi SNUFFY, not sure what its purpose is other than the light is attached to it and an engine start rope wrapped around on it.

Hi classic, you maybe right I did see that its a Do-Ray light didn't look at the numbers but will this afternoon, and I was kind thinking the same about it may have  a clear bulb as the switch has 3 positions could be the clear bulb is burnt out.

Edited by MNGB, September 30, 2016 - 12:04 PM.

#18 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 983 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 08:41 PM

Hi classic I looked at the light assy its a Do Ray 510 but I didn't see any other numbers or letters but will look better, got the brakes adjusted that turned into a bit of a job had to remove the brake rods to get the aft clevis loose to get enough adjustment the LH one was really tight / rusted had to use the hot wrench on it but loosened. installed the foot rest non-skid pads, greased the steering system and serviced all the tires, fabricated a handle for the throttle grabbing the lever sticking out of the dash was not fun but got a nice handle on it now. 

#19 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 08:55 PM

It's good that you got the little things taken care of. This is what I've seen on the lights with a clear and red bulb in them.

Attached Thumbnails

• s-l1600.jpg

• MNGB said thank you

#20 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 983 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 06:40 PM

Hi classic, took some time and looked the light over better and it is a Do Ray 510  E has a different switch and isn't near as nice as the one you posted, so Monday I'll open it up and replace the clear bulb. Drained both transmissions and serviced them with a 50/50 mix of 80/90 gearlube and STP, serviced the differential it was only a bit low, fabricated and painted a step for easier mounting and dismounting of the tractor, used some degreaser and then power washed it looks nicer now. The seat isn't original but its a very nice replacement almost like the originals and its like new. I was surprised that there was no fuse anywhere in the electical system, checked the owners manual and the electricaql diagram shows no fuse, this system also doesn't use a starter solenoid g=the starter current goes thur the switch.I think 1973 was the last year for that and the non electric PTO clutch.

Edited by MNGB, October 01, 2016 - 06:40 PM.

• classic said thank you

#21 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 07:10 PM

The lights sure we're nice in that pic I posted MNGB. There were three of them that were new and still in the box. They were too expensive for me, and I didn't need three tail/work lights, HA! The lights member username sent me will do just fine for my headlights, and they are DO-RAY 510's. I am going to rewire them and make brackets same as the originals to mount them on my hood. The holes are already there, so it will be a piece of cake. The DO-RAY lights ground through the housing and that can be a problem. I'll be soldering a ground wire to the bulb socket and ground the sockets directly with my battery ground wire. These headlights are in decent shape, but they should look like new when I'm done with them. I painted the last rim today, so now I can move on to the engine and wheel weights. It must feel good to have the fluids changed out and the machine all cleaned up and functional. I've got to hurry up so I can start hauling firewood with this thing!
  • MNGB said thank you

#22 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 09:07 PM

Nice find!   :thumbs:

• MNGB said thank you

#23 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 05:05 AM

I've never seen a sealed beam light with "a clear & a red bulb in it" ... don't even see how that would work.

What I HAVE seen .. is a standard seal beam clear bulb .. with a "hole" in the silver reflector backing .... then a red coating on the outside rear of the bulb.       Just behind this "hole" (with red coating) ...inside the light bucket .. is mounted a smallish bulb (think 1156 .. but smaller glass).   This small bulb lights up when switched on & shines thru the red .. & you see a "red light" inside the sealed beam light.

This may not be the way your bulb works ... but it's the only way that I've seen this work.

Take the ring off & look inside your light.  A tell-tail sign to look for is 2 wire connections (one for each bulb) on the outside of the metal light case. (Old lights usually used the case/bolt to ground & complete the circuit ... so only one wire per bulb was required)

Some early tractors used a separate small tail light mounted to the work light.   http://www.ebay.com/...rSd1otBI28xsktQ

Some used one wire connection on the outside of the light ... but had a switch in the light housing itself to turn from red light to white light.  http://www.ebay.com/...vUAAOxyVLNSvPLJ

NAPA offers 2 different wattages of this "Tail Light" sealed beam bulb.

See these links

http://www.ebay.com/...VcAAOxyaURTfTnc

http://www.ebay.com/...MMAAOSwOVpXT3~R

http://www.ebay.com/...oIAAOSwLmVXDvF6

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#24 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 983 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 07:51 AM

Good Morning Glenn I don't think this Do Ray light is a sealed beam type just has a reflector with two 1156 or 1157 bulbs in it, case grounded with a switch in the case to switch from one bulb to the other.

• Alc and classic have said thanks

#25 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 11:59 AM

I've owned 70's model MM tractors and rear lights in fenders have the sealed beam and red element in them when new. Mine worked, so never tried to find one to replace. Wait, seems more like a reg element and a round red spot concentrated on the lens at lower level. THAT'S what it was and now I remember I tried to point over that spot with nail polish to make correct again and wasn't much good, just Pink!  Dual position switch on it then too.

• classic and MNGB have said thanks

#26 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 01:41 PM

Here's the guts of the DO-RAY with two bulbs. I do recall sing sealed beams with a red blotch of paint grump.

Attached Thumbnails

• $_1-5.jpeg
  • $_1-6.jpeg
  • $_1-9.jpeg
  • $_1-10.jpeg

• MNGB said thank you

#27 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 07:24 PM

Ah-So .... non sealed beam.       Never saw them set up like that .... but it works.

#28 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 983 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 01:12 PM

Hi this morning I removed the tail/work light lens and checked the clear bulb it was blown so installed a new one, the reflector looks like new,  just about managed to drop the lens but got it back together and it now works as it should.installed the step I fabricated to get on & off the tractor,  I'm looking for a filler tube & dipstick if anyone has one they would like to sell PM me, here's a picture of the one I'm looking for, the first pic it what is on the engine its the pipe plug with dipstick attached, wanted the filler tube & dipstick

HPIM1223.JPG HPIM1224.JPG HPIM1225.JPG

• grnspot110 said thank you

#29 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 983 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 05:49 PM

Hi all, have been working on the PK for a couple of days small things like repairing and painting the park brake lock, installed the oil filler dipstick on the engine (removed the one on the spare engine, still looking for another dipstick), adjusted the front end for proper front end alignment, added a small toolbox. This tractor has no ballast in the rear tires and I'm waiting for the local farm store to but windshied washer fluid on sale then the tires will get ballasted and have been watching e bay and CL for a set of rear wheel wts. then last night the lights came on I had a set of Case 444 cast iron wts for 16 in wheels, this morning I got them out of the back of the shed and installed them on the tractor nice thing is they are the right color and look good. So the to do list is getting pretty smaller maybe convert to an electric PTO, have to remove the top of the 2nd transmission and repair the shifter and ballast the tires.

HPIM1226.JPG HPIM1227.JPG HPIM1228.JPG HPIM1232.JPG HPIM1233.JPG HPIM1234.JPG

• grnspot110, Alc and Cat385B have said thanks

#30 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 08:15 PM

That PK really looks good, and I see that you have the rear light working. I've seen other PK'S with the Case weights on the rear. Good thing you had them kicking around!
  • MNGB said thank you