• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 12:35 PM

Hi, well I just picked up another Power King this one is a 1973 model year, has dual trans and hydraulics and the lift draw bar (no 3 pt) got the older style deck, no electric PTO and a dozer / plow blade with it. Have a box of papers with it haven't gone thur them all yet many receipts the engine was overhualed back in 06 and looks like lots of money spent on that. This is a nice clean PK paint is very good.

100_0597.JPG 100_0598.JPG 100_0599.JPG 100_0600.JPG 100_0601.JPG 100_0602.JPG

• grnspot110, KennyP, tractorgarden and 6 others have said thanks

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 12:52 PM

Nice!  Looks a whole lot better than my 73 does.  Looks like it has a new kohler service engine on it.  Perhaps the rebuild didn't go well.  I put one in mine several years ago.  Someday I might even hook it up to see if it works!

• MNGB said thank you

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 01:00 PM

Hi Jeff, thanks was just looking thur the papers quick, in 06 he had the engine overhauled using a new short block from Kohler the price of the short block then was over $1000.00 and I see he spent over $400.00 on cleaning up the crankshaft, and I see it has the breakerless ignition but the points pad is on the engine if the electronics fail. It starts and runs nice this is my first one with turf tires looks a little odd with them on it at least to me.

• KennyP said thank you

#4 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 924 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 01:12 PM

Very nice looking machine thanks for the pictures

• MNGB said thank you

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 01:57 PM

Are those considered a tractor or a Garden Tractor?

I've always wanted one of those.I used to mow with one years and years ago.One of my relatives has one that he uses as a fire wood log skidder and snow plow and a mower and plows his garden with it twice a year.

It has broken down on him quite a few times.He's burnt up Several clutch rebuilds,Snapped the input shaft on the front tranny a couple times,Input shaft bearing got wallered out last time and he had to rebuild the whole tranny.Engine was rebuilt once back in the 90s and replaced with a new k341 short block recently.His looks identical to yours with the dual trannys.He has a 3 point on his and he made a skidding boom for it.

He's an older fella in his late 70s and my uncle does all the maintenance and repairs on it.My uncle says he's tired of fixing it because it's to light duty for what he uses it for.And keeps hinting for him to get something a bit heavier built (like an old Ford 8n with sherman 2 speed diff) if he wants to skid logs.Maybe he's just tired of fixing it lol.

Is skidding logs roughly 12-20" by 30' long hurting it?Is that to much for the clutch and tranny to handle?Are they a Tractor similar to a Farmall Cub or just a large Garden Tractor?

• MNGB said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 02:39 PM

Nice score there!

• MNGB said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 04:19 PM

Very nice! Looks like someone painted it in it's life, but good job?  Anyway, interesting clutch pedal adaption. That fella short legged? ha!  Does that push easier with more leverage then?  You're becoming quite a PK collector, hard to stop isn't it?   Things are easy to work on and can fix most stuff or build because they are common steels used in them.  Love that blade!  Far as turfs, they do fine, even better for chains if you plow snow in winter with the blade.  Deck seems to mount a little diff on the older ones I guess, but should be nice. 

Just noticed it still has stock seat cover and good shape, now that is bonus!  Most are worn and torn off by now when that old. :smilewink:

Edited by glgrumpy, September 29, 2016 - 04:21 PM.

• MNGB said thank you

#8 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 04:32 PM

Wow! That is a super clean looking PK, and even the implements look in great shape. Pk's are quickly becoming my favorite.
  • MNGB said thank you

#9 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 06:48 PM

Hi, yes its been repainted and a fairly good job of it, the fellow I bought it from said he fabricated it so his young son could drive it, that was one of the first things I removed it worked ok but not needed for a normal length leg. Yea collecting them kind of gets in your blood, but my better half says that's about enough and she just may send me in for a blood transfusion  :D  I like the blade also its been widened to 60 inches so it will make a nice snow plow blade. yea I know the turfs work good even better then Ags in the snow with chains, there is no ballast in them so if I want to use it for snow work I'll need to ballast them which isn't a big deal. There are a number of things I'll need to work on the hook the holds the hood from going completely forward is missing, the throttle handle is missing, brakes need setting up / adjusting. The biggest thing that needs attention is the 2nd tranny is stuck in 3rd gear so later this fall / winter it will be to remove the tunnel and pop the top off the tranny and repair the shifter, and I will be looking to add an electric PTO clutch and to find an engine oil filler / dip stick assy to replace the filler plug dip stick.Here's a few pix of it off the trailer.

HPIM2598.JPG HPIM2599.JPG HPIM2600.JPG HPIM2601.JPG HPIM2602.JPG HPIM2603.JPG

• grnspot110 and Alc have said thanks

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 06:50 PM

Are those considered a tractor or a Garden Tractor?

I've always wanted one of those.I used to mow with one years and years ago.One of my relatives has one that he uses as a fire wood log skidder and snow plow and a mower and plows his garden with it twice a year.

It has broken down on him quite a few times.He's burnt up Several clutch rebuilds,Snapped the input shaft on the front tranny a couple times,Input shaft bearing got wallered out last time and he had to rebuild the whole tranny.Engine was rebuilt once back in the 90s and replaced with a new k341 short block recently.His looks identical to yours with the dual trannys.He has a 3 point on his and he made a skidding boom for it.

He's an older fella in his late 70s and my uncle does all the maintenance and repairs on it.My uncle says he's tired of fixing it because it's to light duty for what he uses it for.And keeps hinting for him to get something a bit heavier built (like an old Ford 8n with sherman 2 speed diff) if he wants to skid logs.Maybe he's just tired of fixing it lol.

Is skidding logs roughly 12-20" by 30' long hurting it?Is that to much for the clutch and tranny to handle?Are they a Tractor similar to a Farmall Cub or just a large Garden Tractor?

Although physically smaller, they are similar to the Cub.  I know folks who have used both and swear the PK could do more.  From what you are saying, my guess is that your relative had an 18hp kohler under the hood originally.  Some of those engines were worse than others.  They were also known from trashing clutches because they did have a good amount of power and torque.  I've owned probably a dozen of these over the years, none of which led a charmed life.  Skidding logs was just one of the chores.  Rarely did they ever miss a beat.  You just couldn't beat them for economy and capabilities.  It sounds like this could be attributed to the fact that the tractor was pushed beyond its limits or it was just a lemon.  Fact is, in all my years of owning these tractors, I never did fully find their upper limit.  My brother has three of these that he uses on his 20 acres.  To answer your question, they are garden tractors, but to me, they work more like a farm tractor.

• EricFromPa and Austen have said thanks

#11 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 07:38 PM

I know where he pulls his logs down from.It's pretty rocky and fairly steep.

Here check this out you can actually see his PK and where he pulls logs down out of.Paps house is just up the hollow maybe 1/4 mile.Lots of big rock up on in these hills.Me and my 2 brothers and sister used to climb around them every weekend when I was a kid.Lots of cool little caves and big overhangs near the top.

lol.jpg

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 08:02 PM

I know where he pulls his logs down from.It's pretty rocky and fairly steep.

Here check this out you can actually see his PK and where he pulls logs down out of.Paps house is just up the hollow maybe 1/4 mile.Lots of big rock up on in these hills.Me and my 2 brothers and sister used to climb around them every weekend when I was a kid.Lots of cool little caves and big overhangs near the top.

lol.jpg

Yeah, that's a lot to ask of it year after year. Probably could use something a little bigger.
  • stacyg said thank you

#13 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 05:24 AM

Real nice looking tractor !  That rear work light looks like the front ones on my Jim Dandy , I wonder if it was an option ?

• MNGB said thank you

#14 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 07:16 AM

Hi Alc, when I first saw it I thought the same but now I not sure it has a lever switch in it and a red bulb so for now its a tail light, I guess someone could have installed the switch the red bulb is easy enough to install. I may change it to a regular bulb for a work light and install a trail light.

• Alc said thank you

#15 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 07:28 AM

What is the black frame added to the back used for ??? That is a good looking machine !

• MNGB said thank you