7 replies to this topic

#1 MyBolens1053 ONLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 12:08 PM

Hi everyone,

I want to come to the experts and see the opinions from those experienced. There is a QT-16 for sale in my area (50 miles radius) with a mower deck and snowthrower. Color isn't factory but is supposedly rust free. Runs well but struggles a little on some steep hills by according to the current owner. Air breather is missing, front PTO belts need replaced. Makeshift PTO clutch cable release is rigged up. Mower deck looks cared for. Snow thrower could use some cleaning and paint.

What problems should I be aware of with this model of unit? Parts cost and availability?

Any help will be appreciated.

#2 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 04:25 PM

I don't know anything about the QT16 but I would be concerned about the condition of the engine if it's missing the air breather.  Has he been running it without an air filter or has he rigged up some type of air filter system that he is using?

• MyBolens1053 and Paulgo have said thanks

#3 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 07:28 PM

I hear others grumble about problems with theirs, but I have several and they are serious work horses that don't give me much grief. Mowing and blowing snow are my main uses. Ebay is a great place to find parts if you can't score another tractor to use as spares. I would also worry if he has been running it without an air filter. Doesn't take long to mess up a good engine that way. Not sure about that struggling on hills thing. If the hydro is good, then it either spins the wheels or stalls the engine if it can't handle where you want to go. Good luck!  Paul

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#4 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 08:02 PM

I have had 2 recently and now a good friend has them. They are awesome, both onan engines ran great. Hydros were strong and what a big hydraulic cylinder. No problem with lifting a 40" tiller. I had a 48 inch deck, 3 point hitch, brinly cultivator, 42" blower, soft cab,weights chains and the tiller. This thing paid for itself in 1 winter when we had over 3 feet of snow. No problems other than the float in the carb. It was a styrofoam style that would get caught up on the body of the carb. I ended cutting 2/3 of it off and it worked great then. I think that may be a common problem though because my d160 wheel horse had the same issue. They do make a new style float that I had in my other qt. Also I recently purchased a 1900 eliminator and the attachments hook right up. I ended up purchasing the blower, cab and deck back from my buddy and currently have the blower hooked up for winter. Anyway the qt are very rugged and those were the first 2 I ever had.

#5 MyBolens1053 ONLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 11:16 PM

I don't know anything about the QT16 but I would be concerned about the condition of the engine if it's missing the air breather.  Has he been running it without an air filter or has he rigged up some type of air filter system that he is using?

I can see nothing that resembles a filtered air stream to the carb.

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 01:06 PM

Just because the air cleaner is not there don't mean the PO ran it that way.  May be a shade tree mechanic and removed the air cleaner to see the top of the engine.  But then on the other hand - -?

#7 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

• Member No: 6766
  • 28 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 03:03 PM

hey ray

i seen that as well looks like a pretty good machine, i would look for any smoke on start up, and if you go and look at it make sure that it's a cold start and not already warmed up

#8 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 09:45 PM

hey ray

i seen that as well looks like a pretty good machine, i would look for any smoke on start up, and if you go and look at it make sure that it's a cold start and not already warmed up

Had a guy try and pull that on me. Was late getting over to look at a 5020H in the winter a couple years back. Saw the GT out in the drive and backed my trailer in. Guy says he has bad news-- the tractor just blew up. Apparently he had been running it for a couple hours so I wouldn't see how hard it was to start and how much smoke it blew when cold. Karma.

Paul