#31 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,346 Thanks
  • 1,755 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 10:24 PM

That's a very nice sign,glad to see your making progress on the tractor,will be watching
  • redcarkids said thank you

#32 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 04:12 PM

Well quick sideline story,  went to Grand Rapids Michigan today and came home with 2 more for the herd.  Wrong color but for free I could not go wrong.  John Deere 212 with a snow blower, and a John Deere 300 with hydraulics.  very excited about getting these in the shop after the Bolen gets running.

I did try to start the Bolens today and she turned over just fine.  Waiting on coil and condenser and points. 

that's my brother in law who gave me the mowers in the last photo

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161008_145226.jpg
  • 20161008_145241.jpg
  • 20161008_160614.jpg
  • 20161008_101310.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#33 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 04:44 PM

G9 update   got my new coil condenser and points today.   Called the neighbor guy over for help.  we got the flywheel off with a puller he had made.   went very well, popped right off.  Boy was it dirty under there.  we put only the condenser in  since the points were not burnt.  they looked real good.  I cleaned the fly wheel really well. got all the rust off.  put her back together and guess what?   She is alive!!!!! :dancingbanana:  :rocker2:  At least with starting fluid she ran. Had a wonderful  blue spark.  Ok   now she only ran with me squirting starting fluid into her.  Noticed gas shooting out the side of the carb at a gasket area.  I found a old gasket and we tor her apart and put the new gasket in.  then we cranked it again.  She was a alive again and running better  :D .So since we had such success I said lets quit and stop for the night.  So jack left.  I was cleaning up shop and decided to crack one more time.   She started right up on her own and ran.   then I noticed we had the throttle on full fast.  I backed her off and she smoothed out and ran very good for a 15 year slumber. I went to slow her down some more and she died.  but hey I am very happy.  I feel that some carb tweaking will bring her around. :thumbs: Going to put the housing back on tomorrow and maybe take her for a spin in the drive way.   Have a video of her running but not sure how to post it. 

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#34 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 04:51 PM

Congrats on getting her running!

#35 TravelinJavelin OFFLINE  

TravelinJavelin
  • Member No: 84768
  • 10 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 09:38 PM

free is always good that's for sure nice on getting her going again!

#36 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 07:07 PM

Well here is the newest update.  Got the bolens running but not well.   Had a air leak around the carb throat.  She was spitting gas at me. :mad2: I put in a used gasket and she ran better but not great.  I did manage to back her up about 4 feet before she died.  Well the inpatient person I am, I got on ebay and ordered one of those Chinese model carbs for it.  Let me tell you they may look the same but they are not.  Before putting on the carb I drained the gas out of the tank.  Wait a min?  I just took the hose off the carb and got very little gas!  My old carb was starving for gas. So I get the air line hose and blow air backup the line to the tank. Bingo  the gas flow was better.  then it stopped again.  so I did it a couple more time till it ran freely.  Boy was that gas dark for a plastic tank. .  So  I tried putting the new carb on today.  Oh did I tell you the Chinese  use the metric system and you get what you paid for . $22.00 carb.  The 2 bolts that hold the carb to the throat are threaded metric.  The bolt on the bottom is metric. The carb fit was way to tight.  I got frustrated when I could no find a bolt that would screw into the carb let alone 2 of them.  and I have my own personal hardware store in my shop  with thousands of bolts. So I decided to blow out the old carb, run air thru all the little opening I could find without tearing it apart. Put the old carb back on which fit just fine with the new $22.00 gasket I got with the new carb,  She started right up.  :dancingbanana: With a  little tweaking I was running her around the house in in the barn yard.  10 min ride on a horse that was dead for 15 years.  :D Brought her back in the shop for some new blood, oil, and I feel good. Moral of the story be patient, clean, and do the basic things before going nuts buying stuff that may not need replacing.  Will post some photos of me on it tomorrow.  Maybe a video if I ever figure out the way to do them.  

• Bolens 1000 and Alc have said thanks

#37 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 07:15 PM

Glad your up and running

Lots of guys are finding about the too good to be true china carbs on ebay, they come right from china and are made of cheap pot metal where no standards need to be measured, I have even heard of some parts being cast the wrong way as well as being real easy to strip out the threads. I have been telling people who ask me about them that a general rule of thumb is if a whole  carb costs less than a carb rebuild kit you know it cant be very good quality.

• Alc and redcarkids have said thanks

#38 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 05:35 AM

Glad to hear its running well . Since you said the tank is plastic was it old gas that got varnished the crap in it ?

#39 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted November 06, 2016 - 07:38 PM

Glad to hear its running well . Since you said the tank is plastic was it old gas that got varnished the crap in it ?

You know the gas was dried up I think and when I added fresh gas I feel it dissolved the old films left from the old gas that dried up, if that makes sense.  I still want to clean the tank and maybe replace the hose to the carb.  I don't feel the gas is flowing to the carb properly.  Also there was no gas filter in the line,  I may put one in??  After sitting for about 2 weeks I started it right up but still not running like I think it should.  Have not wrote off using the new china carb yet.  I would like to change the rear end fluid,  can anyone tell me what kind of oil it should take without me going on line and looking?  call this the quiz for the day.  lol 

#40 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted November 06, 2016 - 08:05 PM

hey i found it in the manual on line here  ep 90 weight  2.5 quart.

#41 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,208 posts

Posted November 06, 2016 - 08:11 PM

hey i found it in the manual on line here  ep 90 weight  2.5 quart.

Hey that profile photo were you get that?