#16 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 09:33 PM

Wow Great deal!

This should help you out a bit, parts list also available in the manuals section

http://gardentractor...or-g9-thru-g14/

Doc I downloaded this manual thanks,  having trouble locating the parts list?  also any info on the briggs 8hr. my model number on the engine is 190417  type 0908 01    having hard time finding a starter number.   There are a lot on ebay that look the part but they don't list this engine.  mine is a 16 tooth cork screw . 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161002_222346.jpg
  • 20161002_222339.jpg

#17 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 960 Thanks
  • 379 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 10:27 PM

The starter is Briggs part # 497595.
  • Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi and redcarkids have said thanks

#18 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 07:42 AM

And still available through B&S :thumbs:

I sell OEM and aftermarket

• redcarkids said thank you

#19 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 08:10 PM

Well went to town today and found a starter. $79.95 did not buy but got part number. Matches your number Classic Bolens.  thanks.  Got on ebay today and ordered one for 28.00 free shipping. After market, Not briggs but should get me by since I know nothing else about this mower. Will get here in 4 days. Will let you know how it turns out.  Doc did not know you were selling parts??  Been away for a while on the bolens site.  Working on the mf7,  and a sears xl10.  Going to Michigan this Saturday to pick up a john deere 212 with a snow blower and a john deere 300.  My brother in law said they were mine for the taking.  can't turn that down.. will post some photos when I get them home.   Also for those of you close to Portland Indiana, This Thursday, Friday and Saturday starts the fall swapmeet.

Edited by redcarkids, October 03, 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#20 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 08:37 PM

changed my avatar .my  2005 dodge Daytona.  wont be hauling any mowers in it. lol

Edited by redcarkids, October 04, 2016 - 06:38 PM.

#21 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 08:00 PM

Will be walking around tomorrow, wear the GTTalk hat and maybe see ya?  Your just in Warren, heh!   Have Bolen's junk to look at?

#22 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 08:21 PM

Will be walking around tomorrow, wear the GTTalk hat and maybe see ya?  Your just in Warren, heh!   Have Bolen's junk to look at?

little of everything.  collect reel lawnmowers mostly,  I will have a green shirt on with reel boys club on the back.  hope to bump into you. 

#23 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 08:32 PM

well got my starter today.  some good news some bad.  Put the new starter on and hooked it all up and turn the key and nothing.  pushed the clutch pedal and made sure the pto was off.  nothing.  so I hooked the jumper cables on to the battery and the starter, and she spun like she should.  so I did have a bad starter.  Now to figure out if I have a bad key switch, bad safety switch or what?  Any suggestions as to what direction to go next would be appreciated.  On another positive note I did get the freewheeling pin out today.  now to clean it up and make sure it will move freely when reinstalled.  thanks for the help so far.  Plan on looking for some cheap tires tomorrow at Portland.  Who knows they may come attached to a mower. lol

Another question?  if the mower ran.  when I jump start it from the battery to the starter to crank it would it continue to run?  do I have to have the key turned on?  is it hard on the starter to keep doing this? 

lots of questions today.

#24 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 08:56 PM

Key must be on to start.  ......Off, to stop engine.

PTO must be off.   (for safety)

Gearshift must be in neutral.  (for safety)

The starter does not know where the power is coming from, so it will not damage the starter.  ......However, you should not crank an engine with these starters for more than 10-15 seconds, without giving them a chance to cool down.

• Bolens 1000 and redcarkids have said thanks

#25 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 08:55 PM

Ok  g9 update, decided to see if I had spark today  since I can spin engine by bypassing the key.  tried 2 spark plugs,  no spark. :wallbanging:   So I have it tore down to the coil,  no numbers I can see on it.  very hard to find a matching coil number on the net for my model 190417 type 0908-01.  On ebay they sell briggs coils by horsepower??  6,7,8 hp  :wallbanging: Do I want to buy one of these???  Will it work and if I am taking the flywheel off I might as well replace the points and condenser since I assume they are behind the flywheel.  Does anyone out have a g9 parts manual or a briggs 8hr horizontal parts breakdown manual???  The good today   went to Portland and found 2 sets of tires.   first set yellow ones were 20.00  holding air some age cracks.  walked around some more and found a guy parting out a 1050 model.  I got the back tires and rims for 25.00.  :rocker2: they are already on the g9  also I got the pin for the free wheeling all cleaned up and it is working as it should.   Talking with some of the old farts at the show today they said to by pass all the safety switches since the tractor was going to be a rider for fun.  What is your thoughts on this?  Would you or would you try to find replacement switches? Do they even make them?. 

saw this bolens at the swap today  it is a diesel, home conversion setup. nicely done I thought. I have the owners name if you are interested he wants 1200.00 for the tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161006_191903.jpg
  • 20161006_090831.jpg
  • 20161006_090841.jpg
  • 20161006_090849.jpg

#26 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 05:41 AM

I found a parts manual last night at 11:15 pm.  Let me tell you it does help to have the right model and type number.  I could not figure out why Briggs and Stratton would not show any information on this motor.  So at a10:30 last night I went out to the shop and checked my numbers,  I had a 8 wrote down for a 2.  model 190417 type 0908-01   it should have been type 0902-01.  On their sight you drop the - 01 and it will bring you up a parts breakdown.  I now have the points and condenser kit parts number 294628,  and the coil part number is 298968.  The sight is listed below.  when you get there scroll down to manuals and it is the 3rd one listed out of 3.  Maybe one of the sight managers can get this one added to the bolen manual section for the briggs 8 horse engine on the g9 tractors. 

https://www.briggsan...ted=190417-0902&=

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#27 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 08:10 AM

Talking with some of the old farts at the show today

HEY!  ....Be careful there, you young whipper-snapper!     :poke:

You're describing a few of us!     :smilewink:

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, October 07, 2016 - 08:10 AM.

• KennyP and 29 Chev have said thanks

#28 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 09:30 AM

Many of new coils are generic fit all and have electronic parts in them and won't work on the old flywheel magnets set-up. Be careful with those. I've found that most times it was just dirty surfaces that did not get good ground that make no spark. Clean the two screw mount posts, the screws, the flat surface on front and back of coil where it touches these things, the ground wire end and all the terminal ends at the stud in the back tin behind flywheel area where the wires all connect. Be sure those same wires don't touch body anywhere or will short out there. I've had many Briggs that thought no spark, yet when I fixed a carb issue or other things it still ran. I think spark on these is hard to see when not spinning fast. Laying plug on head many times is not enough ground. Just clean the points with a file or women's nail file (cardboard) good and set, try flywheel on temp to check. Might clean flywheel magnets and bottom of coil legs and reset the gap there, but that is not the biggest issue on these engines.

#29 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 08:47 PM

HEY!  ....Be careful there, you young whipper-snapper!     :poke:

You're describing a few of us!     :smilewink:

yea,  old farts are the best stinkers in the house.LOL

#30 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 09:09 PM

Ok update for the day.  Taking all the info I got today from the fine young gentlemen at the Portland show that I talked to, :wave: .I decided to find out if these safety switches are working.  I took the battery out and the battery box.  Did some house cleaning and found the switch to the  PTO and the clutch.  I unhooked them since they just slide over 2 brass nipples.  Tried to start the mower, no go.  I took a wire and made a connection to each side of the switch.  I called it a loop,  hooked up my battery to jumper cables and the cables in the mower.  turned the switch and :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:. she cranked over.  3, 4,5, 6, times in a row.  problem solved?  well hear is what happened next.  I pulled the loop out  cut the wire to the switch and wired them together.   tapped up my new connections.  and hooked the jumper cables up to the battery and guess what. All I got was a clicking from the solenoid.  Not every time, just once every 3 or 4 turns of the key.  :wallbanging: Ok so now the solenoid comes out, and I am back on the net looking for a replacement with out a part number.  I find a 100 page manual for all bolens models  it seems .  I come across a test for the solenoid,  run back out to the shop,  perform this test which said my solenoid was in good working order.  :dancingbanana: .  I put it back ion cleaning it up, hook everything back up and wahla, I have a key that turns over the engine.  :rolling: .  I think my problems were poor grounds, switches that were bad, jumper cables that did not give me the current I needed to start the mower properly ect ect ect. 

Next I checked for spark,  none  tried 3 spark plugs.  ordered a coil and condenser set with points. Will let you know when I get spark :thumbs:

The bolens sign was for sale at Portland  200.00 asking price.  loved to had bought it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161007_155700.jpg
  • 20161007_155823.jpg
  • 20161007_155730.jpg
  • 20161007_155747.jpg
  • 20161007_155648.jpg
  • 20161006_134429.jpg

• Bolens 1000 said thank you