40 replies to this topic

#1 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 06:54 PM

Need help,  got a bargain I hope.  free :dancingbanana: picked up a bolens g9 for free.  last parked 10 years ago in a shed.  Guy I work with wanted some room said come and get it.  Here is where you guys come in.  I have no manuals yet.  I put in a new battery turned the key and nothing.  :wallbanging: My neighbor who helps me out said to bypass the switch and jump start it to the starter to see if it spins.   I tried with my truck but nothing.

today I took a cable right from the battery hot side to the starter bolt and got almost a welding like action and sparks but no action out of the starter.  Where do I go next???   also with this bing a newer model than my 900  is there safety switches that could be holding me up such as clutch pedal, seat, ect. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160928_160735.jpg
  • 20160928_160800.jpg
  • 20160928_160746.jpg
  • 20160928_160752.jpg
  • 20160822_144445.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, Traill95, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 06:58 PM

Wow Great deal!

This should help you out a bit, parts list also available in the manuals section

http://gardentractor...or-g9-thru-g14/

• redcarkids, Sawdust and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#3 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 07:38 PM

Anything free is a good deal. Can you turn the motor over by hand or is it siezed? Jumping the starter as you described should bypass all  safety switches.

Jim

• redcarkids, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 07:41 PM

If you went direct to the starter from the battery and got sparks, pull the belt off the starter and try it.  Could be the starter is seized up or the engine is seized.   Being parked that long the starter will need lubed at the least.  Try turning the engine by hand.  If it will turn drain what is left of the oil and put in fresh.  Could have a lot of things stuck sitting that long.  Sometimes you get lucky, some times you don't.  Either way you got a heck of a deal.

• redcarkids, boyscout862 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 07:58 AM

I have one and want to put in a briggs engine. I have 8hp, but good enough. I see they are mounted up on spacers like the Tecs in my G14 too, but looks like there is a plate that bolts to frame, then engine to plate on back side at least?  That seem correct?  I saw that on other post about charging circuits for one. Your tins are better shape than mine. I think you need to hand turn engine all the way around a couple times to make sure not stuck or rod banging on something type of deal before you try battery start. Pull plug, add a little oil in there and turn with plug out to be easier. I suggest buying the correct battery and hooking it up as it should be to keep things easier and not missing any systems and such. Think there is a couple of safety switches, one on pedal and one on the pto engage shaft, both near each other on left side of that center chassis section.

• redcarkids and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 08:44 AM

Does your G9 have the B&S 8hp engine?

If so, you have a B&S starter, and not a Delco-Remy belt-driven starter/generator.

Remove the starter from the engine.  ....Hook a jumper cable from the battery + to the stud on the starter.  ...Hook a jumper cable to the - side of the battery and touch the other end to the case of the starter. 

This should cause the starter to spin quickly.  ...If it does not, the problem is in the starter.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, redcarkids and 2 others have said thanks

#7 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 06:31 PM

Anything free is a good deal. Can you turn the motor over by hand or is it siezed? Jumping the starter as you described should bypass all  safety switches.

Jim

yes i can turn the motor,  feel compression,  not super strong though. 

#8 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 06:34 PM

If so, you have a B&S starter, and not a Delco-Remy belt-driven starter/generator.

Remove the starter from the engine.  ....Hook a jumper cable from the battery + to the stud on the starter.  ...Hook a jumper cable to the - side of the battery and touch the other end to the case of the starter. 

This should cause the starter to spin quickly.  ...If it does not, the problem is in the starter.

it is the 8 horse briggs,  has the small starter.  I will start with this.  thanks

#9 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 06:38 PM

I have one and want to put in a briggs engine. I have 8hp, but good enough. I see they are mounted up on spacers like the Tecs in my G14 too, but looks like there is a plate that bolts to frame, then engine to plate on back side at least?  That seem correct?  I saw that on other post about charging circuits for one. Your tins are better shape than mine. I think you need to hand turn engine all the way around a couple times to make sure not stuck or rod banging on something type of deal before you try battery start. Pull plug, add a little oil in there and turn with plug out to be easier. I suggest buying the correct battery and hooking it up as it should be to keep things easier and not missing any systems and such. Think there is a couple of safety switches, one on pedal and one on the pto engage shaft, both near each other on left side of that center chassis section.

checked the oil  was down a little  filled it up   engine turns fine with hand. do not hear any noise or bangs.  last owner said his brother drove it into the shed when it got parked.  they used it as a toy  said it was their grandfathers.  I see wires going to what looks to be a switch around the clutch pedal.  under the battery.  do you have to push the clutch like new mowers to start this? 

Edited by redcarkids, September 29, 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#10 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 06:53 PM

Wow Great deal!

This should help you out a bit, parts list also available in the manuals section

http://gardentractor...or-g9-thru-g14/

thanks brian,,  another quick question.  the pin to the rear end for free wheeling is stuck,  I have tried pb blaster, heat, and cursing.  the last one made me feel better.  Looking thru the rim of the tire there is a slot that looks to alien with the pin. Is this a area I can put a screw driver and pound the pin out so the machine can free wheel?  If I push real hard I can move the mower around.  I have a copy of the rear axel end play report telling me how to adjust the rear end if the tractor can be moved without pulling the pin.  would like to pull pin before messing with adjustments. 

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 07:36 PM

Have some small jack-stands?  Get some of those Harbor Freight or other ones, real handy. put under axle and take rear wheels OFF and out of way. Can see much better, work on better and even see to put spray on better. I would knock that pin out and clean it up good and then try to do some cleaning on the holes in cases, harder to do. Get it to slip in easy. Don't forget there should be a hairpin their that must come out to take off tractor. It can be put in diff holes to hold it in, and then to hold out in unlock mode w/out falling off tractor.

Yes, pedal must be pushed to start.  Yes pto must be off.  You can cross those wires with jumper on the harness for testing, but recommend fixing right to use it.

• redcarkids said thank you

#12 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 08:54 PM

thanks glgrumpy.  I think I met you one year down at Portland,  see your from Huntington,  I am over by mt. zion.  will try the tire thing, and get a better look.  that will give me a chance to clean them up better,

#13 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 08:18 PM

Well I got the starter off  and followed the above procedures and all I got was sparks.  no spin on the starter.  should I be able to hand turn the starter?  if so I cant.   I think I found a starter on ebay  32.00 new.  sounds cheap.  hope they work well.  I need to find a part number for the starter to cross reference to see if they are the same,  thanks for help so far  I know I will have more questions

#14 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 466 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 08:21 PM

Have some small jack-stands?  Get some of those Harbor Freight or other ones, real handy. put under axle and take rear wheels OFF and out of way. Can see much better, work on better and even see to put spray on better. I would knock that pin out and clean it up good and then try to do some cleaning on the holes in cases, harder to do. Get it to slip in easy. Don't forget there should be a hairpin their that must come out to take off tractor. It can be put in diff holes to hold it in, and then to hold out in unlock mode w/out falling off tractor.

Yes, pedal must be pushed to start.  Yes pto must be off.  You can cross those wires with jumper on the harness for testing, but recommend fixing right to use it.

well tire is off and pb blaster has been applied.  more than once.  hammer and punch used.  and no movement.  got the torch out put some heat to it which always seems to work.  no movement.  this thing is stuck.  more pb blaster to soak over night again.  

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#15 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 09:01 PM

well tire is off and pb blaster has been applied.  more than once.  hammer and punch used.  and no movement.  got the torch out put some heat to it which always seems to work.  no movement.  this thing is stuck.  more pb blaster to soak over night again.  

Keep at it, but be patient. You have the right idea.

Jim

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, October 02, 2016 - 09:03 PM.