36 replies to this topic

#1 bfoster OFFLINE  

bfoster
  • Member No: 84795
  • 14 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 12:07 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to post asking for any help/references as I take on a new project.

I was at the local dump this past week where someone had dropped off a Bolens 1050, 1966 with the TR-10D engine with no attachments. It's in rough shape, but it wasn't seized, all the wiring had been cutup to the lights and charger, but I figured what the heck. So I brought it home and after cleaning the carb, filling it with gas/oil, and cleaning up the wiring from the points to the magneto which had broken and changing the plug I was able to get it to run/drive. The transmission seems to work and so does the pto and I was able to finally get the locking diff nut to back out.

All in all she is rough around the edges but the price was pretty good. I have tried to read on the forum what to look for and have noticed a similar issue to someone else. I can push her around on level ground when the transmission is in neutral, and the locking pin is in!

So my question is, if the locking pin is in and the transmission is in neutral, should you still be able to push it around? Or is it only when the pin is in and the transmission is in gear that you should not be able to push it around? Keeping in mind its still pretty hard to push due to the weight, and its on level ground. I figure if it was in gear then maybe I couldn't and will check tonight to be sure of what it can and can not do.

Given the above, does this mean maybe the transmission is shot? Thanks for any input.

Bill

• Allis Chalmers Tractors said thank you

#2 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,163 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 12:36 PM

Checkout this thread - it may be the rear differential has not been adjusted in quite a while - http://gardentractor...ission-problem/ .

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 01:01 PM

Hello :wave:

I would suspect the differential is out of adjustment as mentioned above.  Many people fail to adjust these over the years leading to this issue.

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 01:02 PM

Welcome to GTtalk Bill.  I think you got an excellent deal on the Bolens.  I'll leave the advise on the tranny to the Bolens guy's.

#5 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 960 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 01:22 PM

The pin must be disengaged to allow the tractor to freewheel.

Nevermind.. I read your post wrong. See the end play adjustment thread.

Edited by ClassicBolens, September 28, 2016 - 01:23 PM.

#6 bfoster OFFLINE  

bfoster
  • 14 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 02:27 PM

Thank you all. I'll check tonight on the situation and if need be see if an end adjustment solves the issue.

Some pictures included too.

IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2429.JPG

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2453.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 03:29 PM

:welcometogttalk: Nice looking beast!

#8 Mtypython OFFLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 05:42 PM

nice rescue,for a dump machine it looks pretty good

#9 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 05:50 PM

I can push her around on level ground when the transmission is in neutral, and the locking pin is in!

So my question is, if the locking pin is in and the transmission is in neutral, should you still be able to push it around? No.

Given the above, does this mean maybe the transmission is shot? Maybe, but not necessarily.   ....As others have said, check the rear axle adjustment.

Bill

Welcome to GTT !

It's hard to find a 1050 in that condition for that price !

#10 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 06:08 PM

You did good,can't beat the price,lol,good luck with it,and welcome aboard

#11 bonusbuilt1950 OFFLINE  

bonusbuilt1950
  • Member No: 82972
  • 95 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 06:34 PM

Good deal!! Can't beat the price. You're lucky you can pick up stuff at the dump. Here, once it hits the ground, it's town property. But I think the guy running the place keeps them for his buddies, despite town policy.

#12 bfoster OFFLINE  

bfoster
  • 14 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 10:11 PM

Ok, so update tonight.

I did/found the following:

With the transmission in neutral and the parking brake off, I can push it around, with difficulty.

With the transmission in neutral and the parking brake on, I can't budge, no surprise with that.

With the transmission in gear and the parking brake off, I can't budge or push around, which given the inherent friction with a worm drive when it comes to back feeding through the bull gear to the worm makes sense to me.

Looking at the rear wheel hubs, there does seem to be some end play so that still needs to be adjusted.

With the differential locking nut backed out, the diff still seems locked, but i think that is due to corrosion and seizing of the mechanism/packing behind the nut on the hub/shaft, I did not yet remove the locking nut but will. I hope this can be fixed. I jacked up the rear end and turned the wheels and confirmed they still seem to be locked together with the nut fully backed off.

The locking pin on the right side (looking from behind) is seized in place, so I removed the right wheel and tapping on the pin it won't budge, so that needs some penetrating oils, time and pressure to remove.

Here is the thing. How can I drive the tractor around and the differential be locked and yet the trans axle has an issue because i can roll it around, in neutral without the parking brake on? I was under the impression if end play was an issue then the differential was not working but i may have misinterpreted?

I'll look into end play adjustment, but would appreciate any input.

Bill

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 08:07 AM

Wonder if you are just slipping on shafts, a key out or such and not really turning trans at all?  I that right side pin is in, it should do Nothing but stay locked and slide when pushed.  You say you can start and drive, so good there. Other axle have the locking big nut on it? Maybe not on this model??  Is that loose if there? Have some one look real close as you push and see if axle is NOT moving and the hubs just spin on them, because the key is gone/sheared.

#14 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 08:21 AM

Being able to push it means your wheel hubs are too far out of adjustment and the gears are not correctly meshing that was corrected by rear axle endplay , if you still have the locking nut on there it sounds like you didnt do this adjustment yet. Probably would not be a bad idea to spray the locking parts with some PB blaster when you get the nut off.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and bfoster have said thanks

#15 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 08:43 AM

Welcome to GTT fellow nutmegger. That is a great tractor at the perfect price. Download the Bolens Manuals from our Manuals Section and adjust the axle end play. Soak that pin with PB Blaster for as long as it takes. Do not get rough with the pin.

This weekend is the big show and swap meet at Zagray Farm in Colechester, CT. It is a great time and place to pick up parts and attachments. Weather permitting, I'll be there. Good Luck, Rick

• bfoster said thank you