mag cover reinstall/timing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JBIowner OFFLINE  

• Member No: 69752
  • 30 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 10:46 AM

I am refurbishing a Briggs and Stratton 14 hp cast iron engine from my JBI Bush Hog tractor.  The engine is a model 300424 and I believe the series is a 0023.  I am about ready to put the motor back together, but I have some concerns with an issue with the mag side motor cover.  There is a counter weight gear inside this cover and I believe the gear needs to be in a particular timing position relating to the overall operation of the motor.  There is a method to get the timing gear in the correct position to the cover to go back on, but it looks to me like the motor piston/valves/etc. should also be in a particular position when this cover/gear is reinstalled.  Can any one give me some direction as to how this relationship should be set?  Thanks for any help you can furnish.

#2 JBIowner OFFLINE  

• Member No: 69752
  • 30 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 03:17 PM

I think I have finally found the answer to my question noted above.  This was listed in a service manual so I hope this will get me back in sync.   I have copied the following to assist anyone that may have the same problem.  

see Fig. 184.

1. With piston at exactly TOP DEAD CENTER, torque drive gear bolt(s) (with 1/4" (6 mm) rods in place) to 200 in. lbs. (22.6 Nm). Be certain piston does not move.

2. Remove the 1/4” (6 mm) rods.

3. Install idler gear(s).

4. Install snap in “E” rings to retain gears. No further timing is necessary, Fig’s. 183 and 184.

Time Counterweight

1. Remove the timing hole screw from cover assem- bly, Fig. 185.

2. Insert a short piece of 1/8" (3 mm) rod through timing hole in cover and into machining hole in counterweight, Fig. 185. The rod holds the coun- terweight in the proper position while cover is installed on engine.

The counterweights and ball bearings are an integral part of the covers and cannot be serviced. Lubricate ball bearings and gears with a few drops of engine oil.

NOTE: Piston must be at top dead center. 

• KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#3 sacsr OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,253 Thanks
  • 3,279 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 08:09 PM

Sorry I am not any help with the internal workings on most of these motors. Good you have figured it out!

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 04:10 PM

Did you get it running?