• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 09:21 PM

Anyone know if HF sells bearing buddies, or what ever they are called? Picking up one of their erector set  trailers tomorrow. One of two major complaints in reviews is the lack of grease in the wheel bearings. Okay, no problem, started hand packing timkens  on log trucks over 60 years ago, when it was fun stuff! 

What I am referring to here is the gadget that goes on trailer hubs and all the user has to do is plug a grease gun on.

The other major problem is the light kit that comes with the trailer. Real POS from what the reviews mention. Anyone know of another more reliable kit they sell? 

Wife is skeptical as heck about my man handling a 150# box of parts after the mini stroke experienced a few days ago. Left me a tad lacking in co-ordination and speech, but still tinkering with the GT's  Eh, where there's a will, there's a way.

Thanks 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 09:38 PM

http://www.northernt...eve4aAlSu8P8HAQ

#3 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 09:39 PM

I looked at the HF trailers, I would steer clear of them and get a fully assembled one from TSC. I have two from TSC, the little one has been severely abused, but is still road worthy if needed.  

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 261 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 06:43 AM

The last 2 HF trailers I purchased

Had grease zerks right on the backside of the hub

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 07:36 AM

Bearing Buddy's work great - IF you use them correctly.  Way to many people over grease then and blow the seals out the back side.  Then have grease flying all over everything.  Don't add grease if you can press on one side of the plate and it will rock a little.  Check them when the bearing it hot as the grease expands when hot.  Checking them cold give a false indication.  I run them for several years, like about 25, on my boat trailers and never did replace a wheel bearing.  Not the same trailer those years but had about 4 different ones.   As for the trailers - slow speed smooth road and light loads only.

#6 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 08:02 AM

I have friend that has a harbor freight trailer with about 10,000 miles on it with the original bearings, he just packed them with high speed grease. His biggest issue with the trailer is the bracket that hold the fender on keeps breaking, he'll be driving down the road and the fender fly's off.
  • Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 09:31 AM

I kinda agree with larry...Get a good trailer if it's going on the road. Nothing worse than looking behind you more than looking forward.

#8 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 05:01 AM

Bearing Buddy's work great - IF you use them correctly.  Way to many people over grease then and blow the seals out the back side.  Then have grease flying all over everything.  Don't add grease if you can press on one side of the plate and it will rock a little.  Check them when the bearing it hot as the grease expands when hot.  Checking them cold give a false indication.  I run them for several years, like about 25, on my boat trailers and never did replace a wheel bearing.  Not the same trailer those years but had about 4 different ones.   As for the trailers - slow speed smooth road and light loads only.

The new bearing buddies have a relief hole on the side so the once bearing cup is full any overflow comes  out the hole.  I put a new set on my boat trailer this summer. 

Edited by Jazz, September 29, 2016 - 05:03 AM.

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#9 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,540 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 10:29 AM

My 4X8 has them, the project trailer I just bought does too, love them!

#10 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 11:06 AM

I had a 5x8 trailer from tsc and it was about 9 months old when the tongue decided to fold up while hauling a cub.

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 02:15 PM

Those harbor freight trailers aren't terrible. A friend of mine hauls his dirt bikes on one and he never has had an issue.

If you want a good trailer get a Gator made or PJ. Those are nice trailers.

I looked at a tractor supply trailer. 6x10. If you stood on one side and jumped it flexed.