• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,405 Thanks
  • 1,537 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:31 PM

So, the head gasket in my JD200 went last week, hoping to get into this soon, already got the new gasket, my question is what should I be on the look out for while I have the head off, I am comfortable with the head gasket part. 

Also, a little background on this, this tractor had a bit of a hiss for years so I think the gasket may have been on its way out for a while, I think the final straw was when I added Lucas Oil when I changed the oil(doesn't use oil anymore:)), I think this boosted compression enough to finally do the gasket in.

• backwoods said thank you

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:54 PM

I usually would decarbon everything, check the cylinder for wear, check the valves for seating, after I put the head back on I run it for a few minutes and then tighten the bolts again to seat
  • backwoods, HANKG and adamjd200 have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 09:43 PM

Check your Valve guides.Especially your exhaust valve guide.Grab the valves with your fingers when they are up the whole way and try to wiggle it.If it moves much I would replace them.It's very common for the valve guides to wear on the K161-K181.Makes them smoke a good bit.I'm replacing a couple sets as soon as the valve guides that I ordered show up.1 set in my spare 181 block and 1 set in my cub 70 that has a 181 in it.

Here's where I ordered mine.$20.50 a set shipped

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 09:53 PM

You may need to plane the head because a long time leak can eat into the head. I've done it with a 10" file and then a surface plate and very fine sand paper. It took a couple of hours. You can download the Kohler Manual from our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 10:11 PM

You may need to plane the head because a long time leak can eat into the head. I've done it with a 10" file and then a surface plate and very fine sand paper. It took a couple of hours. You can download the Kohler Manual from our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

I have seen many Kohler heads in need of a touch-up, so Rick gives good advice.

However, a 6" belt sander accomplishes the same task in seconds.

A piece of plate glass or a kitchen counter can often be used as a flat surface.

• HANKG said thank you

#6 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 07:23 AM

I lap the head using this process:

A piece of plate glass or a kitchen counter can often be used as a flat surface.

Definitely want to true it it.  I went through a similar problem on the '66 110 owned - the gasket let go right next to the valves.

#7 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,405 Thanks
  • 1,537 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 11:28 AM

I have seen many Kohler heads in need of a touch-up, so Rick gives good advice.

However, a 6" belt sander accomplishes the same task in seconds.

This was my planned method, I don't have that big of a sander, and I don't have a steady enough hand with a file.