Wax to protect decals?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paulgo OFFLINE  

• Member No: 68759
  • 560 Thanks
  • 370 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 01:43 PM

What is the best way to protect the decals on my old tractors? Do I just wax over them? Any tips will be much appreciated.  Paul

• Tecumseh power said thank you

#2 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 844 Thanks
  • 708 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 02:07 PM

Paul I will try to help you to the best of my ability, I own. An auto detailing shop. What you want to use is a wax that contains no abrasives like meguiars deep crystal. Most waxes contain a small amount of polish and you don't want to use that on an old decal as it will remove some of the top layer. Deep crystal is available at walmart and is like 8 bucks it's in a red bottle. Any wax that says on the bottle that it removes light swirls and scratches has abrasive compound in it. Or just buy a good spray wax. But it will not last as long.you can also clear over them with acrylic paint . Don't use lacquer it can also lift it.
  • Alc, Bmerf, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Eric OFFLINE  

• Member No: 41778
  • 926 Thanks
  • 645 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 05:09 PM

Don't use anything out of a rattle can, the solvent released from the can will also lift and damage decals, especially older decals. Use an airbrush or hvlp spray gun to cover them if that's the direction you want to go. Either way wax won't last very long as a protectant, possibly a sealant would last a while longer.
  • Paulgo said thank you

#4 sodisr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9153
  • 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 09:43 AM

Just to add to the excellent coments,,   UV  ( sun )  may be the worst thing for decals... cover your'e babys up..  If your'e just talkin during normal use..  YES a good pure wax should work fine..  My bolens are from the 70's and the decals are like new yet..

• Paulgo said thank you