#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 05:59 PM

Have 24" PK, and a V-plow.  Plow was worn real bad on down side, so flipped main body over, put new wear strips on it and drilled holes in mount angles same as they were on other side down. NOW, seems to fit it on tractor would make the blade be way down in front at point. That is how it seems it was on the worn side, all worn at point. SO, now going to have to modify to have the blade mount on the turn parts but have it push up much higher, almost in middle of it. Think will be problem?  It has two rods to adjust the flatness of it's set on ground and NO springs then like on a straight blade. SO, won't need to move then is what I am saying, just needs to set flat when down.  I'm wondering if the 24 and 16 had diff mount channels and mine is for 16"?  Wouldn't think so.  I'll get some pictures here to see what I have and what I'm trying to do.  I'll have to check my thumb-drive on it and see if things are diff than what I have or whatever.

Just looked at my drive and can NOT find the V-blade or plow on it.  Am I looking in wrong file?  Tried the two dozer and snow blade files and did not see it there. Gotta be something on it, would think.

Edited by glgrumpy, September 26, 2016 - 06:11 PM.

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 06:16 PM

I believe there used to be an exploded view / parts breakdown for the V-plow on Yahoo Groups PK page.   Haven't been to Groups for ages - I suppose it still exists.  ???

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 03:11 AM

Didn't find there, But, hard to find stuff now on new lay-out.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 07:59 PM

OK, got the info now. I was right that the turning structure bolted on up higher than when used with tip blade, took much mystery out of it. I went out tonight and found one hole good, but other was too close to blade on the angle, so welded up a metal filler on outside and filled in the orig hole and drilled another one that will be better. Bolted up the blade, sets level now, nice, then hooked up the struts that hold it in position, no problems, nice there also. Here's some Before pictures and below will be the done/fixed pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160929_181856.jpg
  • 20160929_181925.jpg
  • 20160929_181939.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, September 29, 2016 - 08:01 PM.

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 08:02 PM

Fixed pictures. You can see how bent and worn the top of blade is in picture. That is why I flipped it over. I'm hoping to clean it up some and bend back that one side maybe. Thick stuff, does not bend easy with little big I tried already.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160929_201447.jpg
  • 20160929_201503.jpg
  • 20160929_201622.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, September 29, 2016 - 08:04 PM.

• grnspot110 and MNGB have said thanks

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for posting the pics GL, looks like you got it squared away. I'm curious as to how well the V-plows work on a PK. I'm planning on using the PK I'm working on to plow with this winter with the 48" spring trip plow. I never used a PK before, let alone plow snow with one , so it's all new to me. The 48" plow looks like it may not be wide enough, but I'll just have to see how it does. There was a V-plow for a PK for sale a couple of hours away, But It May Have Sold already.
  • MNGB said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 08:03 AM

I have a regular blade also. Not sure size, but probly 48".  Does well, till you turn it past first notch or so, then does not clear enough for tires to stay on cleared area. That doesn't matter too much in a larger area like a drive. I have used PK's lots for plowing and they are strong pushers long as you can get traction. Chains a must, and a little weight is better. I have used mostly just chains on any drive I've had and went pretty good. My 24" seems to spin easier than the 16" did. Even with the ag  tires it needs change to really dig in on heavier snows. The 16" turf worked better.  With-out extensions, even the instructions say won't clear much extra and have to use only part of one side to continue in large area. It recommends to use for narrow areas that don't need wider clearing like a sidewalk. Says you can set extensions to width of walk and keep it straight or only one notch at angle or it hits the front tires. Right out of manual.

• classic and MNGB have said thanks

#8 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 08:31 AM

Thanks GL, that's good info. It's strange that the blade won't clear the front tires at angle. It's odd that they would design the plow that way. I've plowed lot's of snow with an Allis Big Ten with a 46" plow and found that having the plow at the steepest angle worked best to get the snow to roll off of the blade. I had lot's of weights and chains on that tractor and it did well, but deep snow was a bit of a challenge. The PK should be better suited for my needs. There's a 70's or 80's PK sitting in a tractor boneyard with a green plow on it and it looks to be about 60". I'm guessing that it's a cobbed set up, but it's well done. It would do a better job of keeping the snow clear of the tires at angle than the 48" blade, so I may look into it.

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 09:01 AM

I used a PK for 10 or 12 years with the standard 48" blade.  While it is not quite wide enough when angled, it doesn't really bother the tractor all that much.  The more weight you have, the more it will push.  I routinely pushed snow that was higher than my hood so power is not an issue.  Proper weighting is.  When adding weights, don't forget the front.  Wet heavy snow tends to push your front end sideways.  I always figured you could add as little as 3" of material to each side of the blade and you would be good to go.

• classic said thank you

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 09:32 AM

Thanks Jeff. I have IH Cub weights for the front and a Pair of the PK rear weights that will be going on this tractor. I will make up a weight box for the back so I can add weight when/if needed. Blade extensions seem like a good idea, too.

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 01:02 PM

To Specify, the hitting tires part was for the V-plow. The standard straight goes all the way w/out hitting, I see I got off topic and back on w/out specifying back to V-plow. I found on standard blade about half-way does best and HAVE had front move over in heavy stuff like the ending banks in a row when set all the way angled.

• classic said thank you

#12 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for the tips GL, and it won't be long before the snow arrives.

#13 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 832 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 06:54 PM

Hi GL, have you gotten any more done with the V plow looks interesting and your making headway, you may know this but I'll post it anyway on Larry Goss's thumb driver the is a file named 1977 MPM continued and on page 215 is the manual for the V plow with some decent pictures.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 08:05 PM

GB, found some info on that drive now. Was in a couple diff places. There is two versions shown, one with a diff part number, but can't see what is diff. Part numbers all looked the same as other on big parts anyway.  Was an 80 or 81 year on the last one.  Some pix have just parts list and a PIcture of the blade with ID numbers for list. Later I found the actual parts blow-up type picture and more info. Haven't been in shop since my above postings. Not getting out there as much as used to, working too much and too tired for projects or have other things needing done. Takes me lots longer to do things anymore, just go with the flow sort of say.

• MNGB said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 05:27 AM

Hi GL, have you gotten any more done with the V plow looks interesting and your making headway, you may know this but I'll post it anyway on Larry Goss's thumb driver the is a file named 1977 MPM continued and on page 215 is the manual for the V plow with some decent pictures.

I uploaded that file a few days ago.

• MNGB said thank you