• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KY hillbilly OFFLINE  

KY hillbilly
  • Member No: 80101
  • 12 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 02:19 PM

Any one know anything about them? I found one with no engine for 100 bucks, I don't know the model or anything but it seams to be pretty heavy made. All cast tranmission has the 8in tractor style tires and front cast iron weight too.
Idk anything about them it looks like be a pretty good one to throw a hf engine on till I can find the parts for my tb horse.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,454 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 02:43 PM

Ariens stuff has generally been pretty good quality. I would be very suspicious about the tiller not having an engine. It might have transmission problems and that is why the engine was taken off. Fix the Troybilt. We have the full rebuilding manual for Troybilt somewhere in our Manuals Section.  Good Luck, Rick

#3 KY hillbilly OFFLINE  

KY hillbilly
  • 12 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 03:06 PM

The guy has a bunch of old tillers and stuff. Apparently he buys them and fixes them up to sell? Anyway he's story is that the engine went bad and the rest is good. I though about offering 50 for it.
Are they a branch of gravely? Only reason I ask is I got on ebay to see if there was much on there it came up ariens/gravely.

#4 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,282 Thanks
  • 3,708 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 03:54 PM

Ariens bought Gravely back in 80's or 90's. I never ran an Ariens tiller, but the rest of their equipment was heavy built.

#5 Kurtee OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7561
  • 452 Thanks
  • 410 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Ariens rear tines are as good as tillers get. I own 2 and for 100 bucks I would have another in a heart beat. Parts are available. This sounds like an older cast iron tranny and drive one which is better than the newer ones with aluminum housing. I have used Troybilts and prefer operating the Ariens. The first one I bought did lots of gardens with a 5 horse Tecumseh. I actually wore out the tines and engine and replaced them with new and am still using it. The second one I bought to take some load of the first one and has an 8 horse Kohler with reverse and swinging handlebars which I believe are over rated. I had to replace the bearings and seals in the tine gearbox. They have stopped building these which are infinitely better than what is available new. Buy it, fix it, use it while you fix the Troybilt and have 2.

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,291 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 07:40 PM

If the Ariens is a rear-tine 'Rocket', it would be well worth fixing. I grew up on one like what Kurtee has, reverse and swinging handlebars. I would till the garden the long way, then put on the furrow sweep and go the short way ending with having the rows dug out for seed.

Edited by Cat385B, September 26, 2016 - 07:44 PM.

#7 KY hillbilly OFFLINE  

KY hillbilly
  • 12 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 10:12 PM

I think it is a rocket just by Google it seeing they look the same. I think I'm going back and offering 50, by the looks of the picture iv seen I think there may be a pulley or too missing.
Is parts still available for them?

#8 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 108 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 12:42 PM

Go get it. We had Troybilt and the 8 hp  Ariens tillers. I always thought the Ariens was the better tiller. It was tough and easier to handle.