1968 Ford 120 pulling mower project

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nschneider17 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 84770
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 11:48 AM

Okay, I am new on here so i am just figuring things out. So i bought a 1968 Ford 120 lawn tractor and my plan is to fix it up and make it a basic "stock" pulling lawn tractor. So after a week of having it i got it running and it keeps throwing the drive belt off of the transmission input pulley, i put a new belt on and it would do the same thing, but upon further inspection of the input pulley i saw that it was cracked where the bolt goes in and it kept throwing the bolt out. First off, does anybody know where i can get one of these pulleys made or where i can get a new one?

Next big problem was when i drained the rear end, it was straight clear water that drained out the back, no gear oil at all and i can't put any oil in because the hole you put the oil in is rusted shut. Any suggestions on what to do there? I'm thinking i will probably just split the rear end and take it apart and soak all the parts in rust remover, only problem with that is, i do not think i will be able to get it put back together right. I am open to any and all suggestions y'all might have. THANKS

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,756 Thanks
  • 4,262 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 12:24 PM

Pics of that "rusted shut" situation would help a lot.

Edited by chieffan, September 26, 2016 - 12:24 PM.

#3 stiemmy OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,069 Thanks
  • 940 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 12:24 PM

1st, those pulleys are tough to find at times. May find a different trans altogether, with the correct pulley on Epay?

2nd, if the plug is rusted, try using a torch to heat it up, and put some wd40 or the like on it. It should come off.

3rd, if all avenues have been exhausted to get the fill plug out, you can remove the shift tower, and add oil in there. Be sure the trans is in neutral before removing the shift tower as to keep the shifting forks aligned. Take your time, its actually easy to do if needed. Oh btw, the rear fenders, and pan in front of seat will have to come off if going this route. Good luck;)

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,454 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 01:39 PM

Welcome to GTT. First, the manuals for that tractor are in our Manuals Section. The tractor was made by Jacobsen so there are several brands that use the same parts. Second, in this case, I would disassemble the transaxle and clean and inspect every part. If you don't do this then further damage is likely. Download the manuals. Post some clear pics. Ask questions that you have. We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

#5 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

• Member No: 68926
  • 582 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 08:45 PM

If it's an angle frame Ford 1966 to 71 ish I have 3 or 4 rear pulleys. They do go out

#6 nschneider17 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 84770
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 09:23 PM

Okay thanks guys, i will try to get some pictures this weekend to post on here for yall