So I was going along minding my own business and mowing the grass when suddenly *ERRRRck* Belts squealed for a split second and the engine stalled dead. “Uh-oh” I says. “You ain’t kidding” says my mower. Blades moved freely from the belt, and I knew in the pit of my stomach what the problem was. Fired it back up and drove it to the house.
Disconnected the mower, jacked the tractor up and pulled the deck out. Drive shaft to the gear box was locked solid. Started to disassemble.
Once the gearbox was free from the deck (I removed with drive sheave on by removing the brackets holding box), I removed the set-screws on the sheave and suspended the box by the pulley, placing it on 2 4x4 wood blocks (soft wood to protect the cast sheave). I wacked on it with a lead hammer until flush. Then, using a piece of ½” copper pipe, I drove the shaft from the pulley. I removed the keyway using a cold chisel and tapping it out.
I did similar with removing the U-joint from the drive shaft.
Upon opening the box, (you’ll never believe this) it’s basically empty. No oil. Apparently I hadn’t checked it for awhile…
The gears all looked just fine. The bearing up against the oil plug blew apart. - #11 780132
I didn’t wait on parts and I suppose I should have, but I contacted O’Reilley’s Auto and they hooked me up with a National Bearing tapered bearing and cup set. The bearing is a Timken (world’s finest) L44643. The set from National is A-14. This bearing is pressed on against gear 778181 27-tooth. There is a spring clip on the shaft that acts as a stop. Just leave it on there. I do not have a bearing splitter, but rather, I used my 2 4x4” blocks again along with the copper pipe and lead hammer until the bearing was off.
I cleaned all of the over-heated, varnished gear-oil off of everything. Also the inside walls of the gearbox was rusty and I cleaned it all up pretty good.
The oil-seal on this shaft assembly shot. I replaced this as well. Original part: National – 471689. Replacement part: National – 471689. Also purchased at O’Reilley’s. They ordered this in and it came the next morning. The bearing/ cup assembly was in stock. (apparently common for axles? ). Oil-seal I took a punch and knocked it from the inside à out.
I replaced the oil-cap. I removed this to better access the cup from the failed bearing. Cap replaced with Dorman: 555-034-B
I took a wire-wheel to most everything I could and wire-brushed everything else. This included 17- 780136 shim plate.
Upon re-assembly I used some synthetic RTV and smeared a thin coat all around the contacts for the plate. Put it all back together (and filled with oil!!)
I did not replace the other Timken Bearings. I did check them and had 2 other people (many more years experience than myself) confirm these bearings were just fine. If I had better tools and better replacement (TIMKEN!) bearings, I probably would have done everything… Just because.
Since I wired everything down… I painted.
I also took the opportunity to clean my deck while the paint was drying… and I sharpened my blades… and touched up other paint on the deck
Edited by Zekkjacen, September 25, 2016 - 02:56 PM.