• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 193 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 02:26 PM

for 30 minutes. When I got the 7012 back in June it ran good for about 15 minutes then blew a head gasket. It was supposed to have new rings in it but I think they forgot to torque the head. Could have used a nut driver to remove the head bolts. I ended up putting 2 new gaskets as I bent one trying to get out of the package, Then when I ran it it would blow the dipstick out like a rocket being launched. Breather was assembled wrong so not letting pressure out. I ended up pulling the piston and found ring ends were very close so letting a lot blow by them. Also the side of piston next to valves was scored bad enough I could hardly move the rings. Cleaned the groves out so they were free, honed most of the score mark out of the cylinder and rotated the piston on the rod. Don't have much blow by now but after working about 30 to 45 minutes it starts to labor very hard and then dies. It will turn over easy but won't start for about 15 minutes. The hood gets so hot you can't put your hand on it. Possable getting hot and vapor locking ???? or do I have another problem?

The person that put rings in is supposed to be a diesel mechanic.

Edited by SimplyRad, September 25, 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,921 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 04:26 PM

You cannot turn a piston in a bore.  When its heated up from being run the piston is swelling and there is insufficient clearance between the piston and cylinder bore. ???

I read that you can still turn the engine easily so this may not be the case.  Just my initial theory.

Edited by Gtractor, September 25, 2016 - 04:29 PM.

• Alc and SimplyRad have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 04:52 PM

Not all pins are in centers on engines. That is why they have that mark on the piston top to face certain way. Maybe it clears OK cold, but something swells wrong and it sticks?  Orig position should have bore shape learned, heh!  Coils get hot and quit if it has a gap in a wire in it's windings.

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 10:25 PM

Could be vapor locking.When it does it again take the gas cap off and look in it with a flash light.If you see a bunch of bubbles than your vapor locking.That's what's so nice about the tank being under the hood but if ya get a leak POOF! instant bad hair day.

Any exhaust leak even a tiny one will cause vapor locking especially with the muffler fully enclosed under the hood with no heat shielding between the muffler and carb.

Looks like it could get very toasty in under there real quick.

engine_zps3695d092.jpg~original.jpg

#5 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • 193 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 01:57 PM

Piston is non directional. I also start getting a lot more smoke out of the breather when working hard but when about to die blows a lot more. After I had put it back together I had run it wide open up and down my street for a half hour or with no detrimental affect. I live on a dead end street.

Before I redid the piston it would only run for 10 or 15 minutes.

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 03:34 PM

How badly egg shaped was the cylinder when you had the piston out of her?Usually if you can see the ring when the piston is all the way down in the bore then that's enough to cause blow by.

My Cub Cadet 149 with K321 in it that I had rebuilt had a small hole in the side of the muffler and the hood would get darn near hot enough to burn your hand after mowing with it.When it got hot it would start laboring and cut out and die.Pulled the gas cap and looked in and you could see alot of bubbles coming from the pepcock erea.

I ended up trying to weld the hole shut but it was to thin and kept burning through.I replaced it with another Cub muffler that had a burnt out lower baffle but no holes and it fixed the vapor locking.

Before I rebuilt it it supposedly had a "blown head gasket".Head was warped and gasket was not blown but was leaking and top edge of the piston was worn and ring end gap was visibly to wide so the rings were about worn out.It would vapor lock if I ran it any longer than 10-15 minutes because of the warped head not sealing even properly torqued.It was leaking right above the carb.You could not touch the carb and you could hear the gas boiling in the float bowl if you shut it down.

Honed it a bit and installed another used piston and,rings,gasket and slapped another head on it that I had in my stash box.It ran SWEET.Tons of power and it no longer vapor locked even after pushing very heavy wet slushy snow with it for over 2 hours strait.That gave her a heck of a work out that's for sure.She never skipped a beat.

For some reason doing winter work really gets them hot quick.Even if the temps are -F.

• SimplyRad said thank you

#7 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • 193 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 11:12 AM

The blow by was caused by the ring ends being to close together and on the valve side of the cylinder. I didn't check for ovalness of the cylinder as I wasn't going to have it bored. Was thinking of repowering it with a 9 or 10 horse B & S I have in my possession. I think I will try extending the exhaust through the hood like I do on my 3410. The exhaust pipe does have a split in it on the top side.

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 09:13 PM

Wonder if you could use a Case muffler? Like one off of a 210,220,222 ect.They have a thermal wrap on them and a metal heat shield.Looks identical to the 7012 muffler other than the bend on the tail pipe.Could cut that off and weld or clamp a hunk strait pipe on it. 

Here have a look.One on Ebay.Price isn't to bad.

http://www.ebay.com/...TEAAOSwLF1X5VKG

Those mufflers sound decent to.The 210 I had has 1 on it.

#9 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • 193 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 03:29 PM

I am thinking as the exhaust pipe end inside the hood I have short piece of aluminum pipe I am going to put over it to run it outside the hood. I will get a pic as soon as I can get get one. I have one on my 3410 just to quieten it down. If the hood catches the exhaust it can redirect it at the fuel line which close.

#10 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • 193 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 11:06 AM

A couple pics of the pipe in place. If that low that is setting over southern OH and KY would move out so we can have some decent weather.

DSC_0136.JPG

With the hood open.

DSC_0137.JPG

DSC_0138.JPG