• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Arjay OFFLINE  

Arjay
  • Member No: 84695
  • 16 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 01:21 PM

Kohler k301, new fuel filter, new coil, new points & condenser, new plug, pulled head and hand lapped valves and cylinder head this morning, installed be head gasket and adjust valve, set the carb the best I know how ( I'm a diesel mechanic by trade) and this is how it runs? But it started good and seems to have great power?

#2 Arjay OFFLINE  

Arjay
  • 16 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 01:24 PM

It will not allow me to post the video?

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2016-09-25-14-24-04.png

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 01:28 PM

"book" carb settings are  only regarded as starting points, you gotta adjust them as you go, as you use the machine.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 02:10 PM

We have and excellant Kohler Shop Manual in our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick
  • Arjay said thank you

#5 Arjay OFFLINE  

Arjay
  • 16 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 02:14 PM

Can anyone help with a video upload? The carb don't appear to be the issue I believe I may have a valve sticking just wanted a few opinions?

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 03:28 PM

I have a Kohler K321 on a 1971 Cub Cadet. No matter what I did, I could not get the Carter #30 carb to run right. I rebuilt the carb and no change, so I suspected that the play in the throttle shaft may be the problem. I put a different Carter #30 carb that I new worked perfect through all rpm ranges and the engine ran perfectly. I'm not saying that this is your problem, but make sure that your carburetor is in good working order.
  • Arjay said thank you

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 03:29 PM

Oh, upload your video to youtube then copy and paste the link in a reply here.
  • Arjay said thank you

#8 Arjay OFFLINE  

Arjay
  • 16 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 06:05 PM

#9 Arjay OFFLINE  

Arjay
  • 16 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 06:06 PM

Ok check out the video help point me in the right direction!

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 07:58 PM

White/blue smoking usually indicates the burning of oil. Causes to this condition include:

• Overfilling the crankcase with oil

• Incorrect oil grade

• Operating engine at greater than a 15 degree angle

• Inoperative crankcase breather

• Crankcase air leak

• Blown head gasket

• Worn cylinder and/or rings

You may have installed the crankcase breather (inner plate with the reed valve) inside out or the gasket isn't sealing.

Blue smoke like that is Oil burning.Your spark plug could be a bit to cold or it's fouling from oil getting on it.

#11 Arjay OFFLINE  

Arjay
  • 16 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 08:14 PM

Proper amount of oil sae30, breather is assembled correctly inside piece with holes the reed plate and breather filter then outside cover all new gaskets, acts the same even with dip stick out to vent crank case if it was cylinder wear it would blow smoke all the time not just when it "hiccups" the cylinder bore looks great, the hiccups are random, head gasket is new, properly torqued, plug is new also

Edited by Arjay, September 25, 2016 - 08:18 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Have you checked the cable guides for wear? Just a thought.

#13 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 09:14 PM

New Champion plug? The new champion plugs are junk.Had a crap pile of the newer Champion plugs act up.Had some last 2 hours and some last 2 weeks before they just simply quit.

I'm running NGK plugs in everything but my old push mower (still has it's original CJ8 plug) Will replace it with a new NGK BM6A when it needs it.I put NGK plugs in all of the tractors I service. 

Don't use those Maxpower spark plugs they are complete garbage.

Kohler recommends a Champion RH10C plug gaped to .35 but I put NGK B-6L plugs in all the kohlers when I service them.

Cylinder could look good but rings could be starting to get a bit worn.Also could be worn valve guides.I have 4 smaller Kohlers here with worn valve guides and perfect looking cylinder bores.All 4 smoke 1 smokes badly all the time 1 smokes bad till it's warmed up and the other 2 smoke on start up.Waiting on my valve guides to show up so I can press new ones in.I ordered 5 sets of these.My kohler k181 powered air compressor is going to need them eventually.

http://www.ebay.com/...DkAAOxyQj9RPTSq

Blue/white smoke is definitely Oil burning.Carb issues will make it smoke Black or run lean and the engine will hunt.

If you take the head back off you will either see oil on top of the piston (will have a oily film over the entire surface of the piston indicating worn or cracked ring/s) or Just around the valves and top of the piston near the valves (worn valve guides)

You could swap out the plug to a slightly hotter plug and just run it like that.The miss fire is likely being caused by oil since it is puffing blue smoke when it studders.A slightly hotter plug will burn the oil with less or no sputtering.NGK B4L is slightly hotter than the Champion RH10C or it's NGK equivalent NGK B-6L.

Run it around like that for a couple hours and see if it clears up.Oil Scrapper ring could be gunked up with hunks of carbon especially if you decarboned the combustion chamber.It might clear up once it gets good and hot.Sounds really good other than that little puff and studder.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 25, 2016 - 09:15 PM.

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 10:28 PM

I agree with what EricFromPa said but will add that if you think there might be any carbon at all in the rings add some Marvel Mystery oil to the gas and run it like that for a couple of hours. I run it in my diesels all the time. The stuff has a real way of getting rid of carbon. 

#15 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 299 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 12:38 AM

The compression rings are good, thats why you don't get blow by with the dipstick out, the oil ring keeps oil from being forced through the rings on the intake stroke,pressure is increasing in the crankcase at the same time vacuum is made in the combustion chamber, excess oil on the rings increases compression and helps burn the oil like a diesel, that's why you only see smoke on the misfire, my penny penny is on the oil ring
  • Arjay said thank you