#1 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 12:39 PM

This will seem like it is posted in the wrong forum at first, but stick with me and I'll bring it around to Bolens.

My 80's vintage Ariens GT17 has a custom fabricated loader on it. The pump is powered off the front PTO shaft. This past weekend, the coupling between the pump and the PTO shaft snapped. It appears this coupling was a custom made piece that was clearly insufficient to handle the load, so now I'm trying to engineer a more durable solution.

What I would really like to do is just use a universal joint. It will require that I space the pump out a little farther, but I think no matter what I do I'm going to have to change the pump mount in some way or another.

The problem I'm having is figuring out how to go from a 15 spline male PTO shaft on the Ariens to a 3/4" keyed shaft on the pump. Here is where Bolens comes in. My tube frames all have a 6 spline shaft, but I think the large frames used the same 15 spline as Ariens. Does anyone know if Bolens ever had a yoke with a 3/4" keyed shaft to power some other attachment? If they did, it would sure save me a lot of trouble getting something custom welded.

If no such yoke is available, I'm open to suggestions for any other option to connect these two shafts.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 05:36 PM

Sorry I cant be of any help on this matter.
Hopefully someone can help you out soon

#3 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 05:46 PM

The Large Frames did use a 15 spline yoke. I am not sure who is manufacturing that yoke now, but I know that Grasshopper uses them for sure. Probably other current OEM's as well. Not sure about a yoke that fits a 3/4" keyed shaft.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 05:48 PM

Did you try local suppliers of driveline hardware. I know that the Lovejoy shaft couplers come in a number of different configurations. It only runs about 30$ for the L99 coupler and it can handle 18HP at 3600rpm. I'm not sure if they have the spline you are looking for but it may be worth a few calls or perhaps check the Lovejoy site.

#5 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 07:16 PM

The current coupler was a 3 jaw similar to a Lovejoy, however the one the PO used was way too small, hence the failure. It also appeared to be custom made. It looks like he welded a 15 spline collar to the one of the jaws. I've already checked with Lovejoy, and I can't find any 15 spline couplers in their catalog, reinforcing my suspicion that such a thing does not exist.

In the mean time, I think I may be on to a source for the yokes. It looks like Weasler may make a 15 spline and a 3/4" keyed yoke that fit together. I'd rather go this route because I like off the shelf parts that I can buy again when I break the next one :wallbanging:

#6 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 10:26 PM

I installed the rototiller on the 800 yesterday, and what did I find on the end of the driveshaft? That's right, a 3/4" keyed yoke. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. Anybody got a spare lying around? ;-)

#7 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted May 30, 2011 - 09:20 AM

I installed the rototiller on the 800 yesterday, and what did I find on the end of the driveshaft? That's right, a 3/4" keyed yoke. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. Anybody got a spare lying around? ;-)

That same yoke should be found on all tube-frame mower decks and snowblower attachments where they attach to the right-angle gearboxes.

#8 Aussiedog OFFLINE  

Aussiedog

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3089
  • 56 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted May 30, 2011 - 12:43 PM

I'm glad you solved your problem. I was wondering if a PTO adaptor might also have worked. Here is a link to a site that offers those...

Hub City Inc - PTO Products

Other sites offer adaptors that might be better suited to your purpose but I didn't search too long. Good luck!

Edited by Aussiedog, May 30, 2011 - 10:20 PM.