#1 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 12:46 PM

Was wondering if an older Cast end 42" deck off of a 1960s CC 100 would work on a Cub Cadet 582.

I found a really nice 42" Cast end deck with smooth spindle bearings and zero cracks Cheap and I need to know if I can pull the quick attach hangers off of a rusted out 44" 44C deck and just stick them on an old cast end deck.

The deck on the 582 is rusted apart.Spindles are all frozen up and the middle spindle is rusted out so bad it fell through the deck.Hangers are the only part on it worth saving.

#2 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 03:43 PM

I'm not 100% sure but looking through the parts books for both decks it looks like it might be possible.  You'd have to drill the holes in the back of the deck for the hangers, maybe drill out the holes for the front lift eyes, and get a center pulley off a 38c mower from the 582 or 1810 ect generation of tractor with the 5/8 belt.           Stewart

• EricFromPa said thank you

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 07:36 PM

I think I'm going to jump on the older cast deck.It's in really nice condition.He wants $100 for it with the mule drive.Spindles are butter smooth and the blades look like they have never been sharpened.Still have a good sharp edge on them to.

I had a 1440 with 42" deck here that I bought out of a scrap yard for $40 and sold the engine for $250 and kept 2 good spindles and the center pulley and the whole mule drive.It had a 5/8" belt.

I think I still have the PTO and the whole wiring harness for it in a box somewhere.

No one wanted any other parts off of it so I kept the rims,CV driveshaft assembly (easy to convert to CV driveshaft on the Cub Hydros No more Rag joints or roll pins to fail so I kept it for a future project lol) and a bunch of other small parts.It had a burnt up hydro pump (from someone hitting something and knocking a hole in the pickup tube) and the rest of it was all rusted and busted up.

Should be able to make something work out of the 3 carages.

I like how flat the 42" cast end decks cut.Had one on my 102 before I sold it like a dumb butt.

My 582 has Manual lift with the lift assist spring and a nice long handle so the extra weight should not be that bad.

Got a heck of a deal on the 582.He JUST had new tires 6 Ply Titan 23 10.50 12 and tubes (front and rear) put on it and fully serviced and brang it home,put the deck back on and mowed with it.While mowing the middle spindle dropped through the deck.He asked me if I wanted the deck and I took 1 look at it and said nope.Never seen one quite that rusty under the belt cover.The support plate and deck material under the belt cover was GONE.Looked like someone soaked it in salt water for a couple years lol. 

I'll post pics of it as soon as I give it a bath.It looks pretty sad with Silage,straw and dirt all over the poor thing.Oil is clean plugs are new fuel lines and clamps look new and it has a new air filter and pre filter on it.

Paid $250 for it and plan on it being a keeper.Briggs Opposed Twin and a Fine spline axle wet brake cast iron center aluminum axle tube transaxle.Would be a good one to make into a puller but I'm going to clean her up and put her to work.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 25, 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#4 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 08:48 PM

The 42" deck from the 1440 is a completely different design and the double pulley won't work on the old one.  The pulley you need goes right on the spindle itself and is part number IH-144408-C1 or the new number is 756-3004