Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 05:20 AM

Does the crank go into the opening to the right of the crankshaft nut ?

• Lauber1 said thank you

#17 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:13 AM

Does the crank go into the opening to the right of the crankshaft nut ?

Yes, that snout between the mag and the shroud. The crank Jeff posted looks a lot like the crank but I think it should be longer from the pin to the end to help hold it straight in the snout.

• Alc and Lauber1 have said thanks

#18 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:32 AM

In the end I got tired of it not firing every other round like it should and put my Dewalt impact on the crankshaft bolt to give it some real attitude.   The impact won't turn it over compression so I switched to the Dewalt cordless drill.  That worked but I have to really hang on.  Once the drill has it spinning good it will run on its own and sounds good. 

All the trouble of building the crank and I can only start it with the drill.  :wallbanging:

I'm guessing the condenser is bad or I suppose the magnets could be weak. 

ANY AND ALL INPUT ON THAT IS APPRECIATED.   ????

Kris, my first thought is the use of the impact. I know a guy that tried starting a Briggs with the impact on the crank nut and snapped the crank off. BE CAREFUL!!! Those L cranks won't be easy to come by!

As for the mag, since you found a lot of corrosion in there, I would take it off and tear it down for a good cleaning. You can ohm check the primary and secondary sides of the coil. The laminations of the coil have to complete the path to ground where they lay on the armature. I rarely see the magnets go bad in those F-M J mags but I suppose it's possible. I'd be more leary of where things ground inside the mag. Also make sure the point arm moves free. It could still be crap in the points. I prefer fins sand paper over a file and then clean with brake clean and a piece of paper or business card. If the spark is weak, then you could try a condenser. They aren't too hard to come by for those.

• Gtractor, Alc and Lauber1 have said thanks

#19 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 04:24 PM

you have been giving me free advice since day one when I posted my late 30s hoe-trac,my dream is to travel the country with a motorhome and trailer packed with tractotos so shaking your hand is a real possibility, I'm looking for gttalk member's at the few shows I get to go to but being small time dairy keeps me close to home and can't do anything fun during hay season,this site and the people like you on it make the pleasure mine

well maybe next yr ill just have to go to a north show, maybe I could go to one up in Midland, or the Baycity area. How far is that from you.?

#20 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 04:26 PM

Yes, that snout between the mag and the shroud. The crank Jeff posted looks a lot like the crank but I think it should be longer from the pin to the end to help hold it straight in the snout.

its a shame I don't know who's crank this is, as I would ship it to them. funny thing about all the cranks is they were removed from the tractors so someone wouldn't walk away with them before the sale, and now it looks like it still didn't help.

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#21 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 04:54 PM

The cranks should have been wired to the tractors the morning of the sale.  I know that won't stop all theft but there still would have been more people get the correct ones.

At a recent auction I went to just outside Kansas City where 375+ antique motorcycles were sold from a private collection, the auction company had security in matching bright yellow T-shirts clearly marked "security" and there were also several security personnel in plain clothes to get the really sneaky thieves.   I thought that most clever. 

• Alc and Lauber1 have said thanks

#22 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 05:59 PM

I remember going to auctions yrs back when they announced that certain people where in the crowd. Those who were named were the ones that usually stole stuff out of your piles or the back of your truck.

• Gtractor said thank you

#23 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 307 Thanks
  • 239 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 07:49 PM

well maybe next yr ill just have to go to a north show, maybe I could go to one up in Midland, or the Baycity area. How far is that from you.?

ok now we're talking my language, that's more than a nibble in my boat so I'm gonna go deep in the tackle box and throw Mr. big hooks at ya, on 9/8 I posted pic's of the escanaba show in off topic, it's closer to you than bay city and the people are way nicer than anything down state.it's the first part of September and runs from Friday through Monday (holiday weekend), and only gives four days to get ready for the Mackinac bridge tractor parade (pic's posted 9/11 in off topic),my girl told me no more watching from the side so we're doing the ride, I will register an extra tractor so you can drive in what could be the biggest annual tractor parade on the planet, it will be full of gas and yours to use on and off parade

#24 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 06:20 PM

I risked life and limb to get some pics of the crank with my tractor. The spinner handle was added by the previous owner.

DSC02763 - Copy.JPG                    DSC02764 - Copy.JPG

DSC02765.JPG                                DSC02766.JPG

• Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#25 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 07:46 PM