Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,610 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 12:39 PM

Here are some pics of the Kinkade model L I got at the Pella, Iowa auction yesterday. Don't know much about it yet.  The fun part is learning about it.  I was mostly intrigued by the extra wheel and plow attachment.  Enjoy!

Kinkade 1.jpg ,Kinkade 2.jpg ,Kinkade 3.jpg ,Kinkade 4.jpg ,Kinkade 5.jpg

• LPBolens, Alc, Lauber1 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 12:48 PM

One mean looking piece of collected iron there Kris.  Things sell hi or low?  Pretty selected crowd I would guess and would be hi selling.

#3 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,610 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 12:58 PM

There were some fair deals to be had.  Most sold a little high by my thinking - which I was glad to see. 

Market has been soft too long.

Since I have slowed down on collecting due to health, age, and space,  I was happy with the outcome. 

Told the MRS on the way up that unless they are giving stuff away I only want one or two tractors.

I got one, I'm happy! 

• Alc said thank you

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 02:01 PM

I already had the manual posted. You can find it here:  http://gardentractor...-owners-manual/

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#5 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,610 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 10:01 PM

Thanks Doug. 

I didn't get a crank made today.  Had to get out this morning and mow the yard as rain was close.  About 2 minutes after the yard was done it started a light rain.  Was calling for decent rain all day.  It never happened.  Sprinkled for several hours - nothing measurable.

With a 2 hour nap this afternoon and cleaning out the minivan that was about all the energy I could expel for a Sunday. 

This evening I studied the machine for the first time.  Compression is great!  Hooked a Harbor Freight in-line spark checker in the plug wire and spun it over.  Impulse working and a weak spark is present.   I'll need to clean the sediment bowl before introducing some gas.  Tank itself is clean and dry but smells real bad.  Opened the oil petcocks and got about 2 drops of water from each one.  I laid the tractor on its side for transport as it was easier to strap down that way. Tomorrow morning it will have been sitting upright for 36 hours so I'll loosen the drain plug and see if a few more drops of water exit.  With the amount of time it has been sitting I don't think a few drops of water will hurt anything.  Water was very clean and oil is very clean - not milky. Obviously it wasn't run with water in there is why I think its just a little condensation.  We are in the humidity belt. 

• Alc said thank you

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 10:14 PM

I was mostly intrigued by the extra wheel and plow attachment. 

That's the training wheel, feel free to leave it off.   :D

Seriously that is a neat looking 2 wheeler. I've not had much interest in them but it is interesting to see all the different designs that were out there. There must have been a bunch of different manufacturers of those machines for a few years. Seems like every couple of weeks someone is posting photos of another unique machine. 

• Gtractor said thank you

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 10:40 PM

Here are some pics of the Kinkade model L I got at the Pella, Iowa auction yesterday. Don't know much about it yet.  The fun part is learning about it.  I was mostly intrigued by the extra wheel and plow attachment.  Enjoy!

attachicon.gifKinkade 1.jpg,attachicon.gifKinkade 2.jpg,attachicon.gifKinkade 3.jpg,attachicon.gifKinkade 4.jpg,attachicon.gifKinkade 5.jpg

well now I know where you where, as I didn't really see you but I also had a whole group of guys around me most of the day, so it was hardtop get to talk to just one person.

• earthgrinder and Gtractor have said thanks

#8 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,610 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 09:56 AM

I saw and recognized you Jeff but like you say,  people were gathered around picking your brain for information most of the time.

Its your own fault - you're a walking encyclopedia.  :poke:   :thumbs:

• Alc and Lauber1 have said thanks

#9 jimmy G OFFLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 304 Thanks
  • 236 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 12:19 PM

Wow the life of being a guru, I can only imagine being cursed with that much intelligence,if it's that bad at an auction the shows must be hell lol, I'll try to remember this the next time I'm in the presents of great knowledge and limit myself to 40 questions or less (depending on how many people are ahead of or behind me in line of course)
  • Gtractor and Lauber1 have said thanks

#10 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,610 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 01:11 PM

So I made a crank this morning.  Nothing fancy,  found a super long 9/16 carriage bolt that wuddunt much count and modified it. 

Copied it after my Standard Twin crank.  After it was bent to the [somewhat] proper shape I drilled a hole across and screwed in a stainless steel 1/4 inch bolt.  This thing has enough compression I believe it'd bend a grade 2, 1/4 inch bolt over time is why I used the stainless.

Cut the bolt to length and was ready to go.

loosened the oil drain plug and got exactly 23 drops of water before the flow stopped. 

I counted. 

All by myself. 

Wasn't easy, 

Here is my crank.  Its the rusty one.  The blue one is for the Standard Twin. Too cheap to fire up the torch I just clamped it in a vise and went at it with the 4 foot pipe wrench.  Leverage is my friend.

crank.jpg

Removed the sediment bowl assembly.  There were a few drops of water in there as well.  They hadn't been in there long.  Maybe it was rained on just before the sale or stuff got a shot from the pressure washer.  No crud in the tank and no rust.  The bowl was clean except for the trace amounts of water.

sediment bowl.jpg

Figured I better file the points as the spark looked weak yesterday.  

LOTS of white corrosion on the points.  I figured if it could fire through all that crud its really going to have good spark once its clean.

Not necessarily.

You can see the white corrosion on my point file.

corrosion.jpg

Now I was ready to fire it up.

It popped loud on the first revolution - and proceeded to pop once in a while like a hit-N-miss engine. 

Long story short, It only hits when the impulse snaps.  Went around and around with it for the longest time.  Nothing I did made an improvement.  Its still sparking when turning faster than the impulse is set up for but the spark is not as good.  Makes a good sounding hit-N-miss,  but that's not the goal.

In the end I got tired of it not firing every other round like it should and put my Dewalt impact on the crankshaft bolt to give it some real attitude.   The impact won't turn it over compression so I switched to the Dewalt cordless drill.  That worked but I have to really hang on.  Once the drill has it spinning good it will run on its own and sounds good. 

All the trouble of building the crank and I can only start it with the drill.  :wallbanging:

I'm guessing the condenser is bad or I suppose the magnets could be weak. 

ANY AND ALL INPUT ON THAT IS APPRECIATED.   ????

• Lauber1 said thank you

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 01:44 PM

Holy cow, someone else old enough to know what one of those is.  :D

#12 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 06:35 PM

So I made a crank this morning.  Nothing fancy,  found a super long 9/16 carriage bolt that wuddunt much count and modified it. 

Copied it after my Standard Twin crank.  After it was bent to the [somewhat] proper shape I drilled a hole across and screwed in a stainless steel 1/4 inch bolt.  This thing has enough compression I believe it'd bend a grade 2, 1/4 inch bolt over time is why I used the stainless.

Cut the bolt to length and was ready to go.

loosened the oil drain plug and got exactly 23 drops of water before the flow stopped. 

I counted. 

All by myself. 

Wasn't easy, 

Here is my crank.  Its the rusty one.  The blue one is for the Standard Twin. Too cheap to fire up the torch I just clamped it in a vise and went at it with the 4 foot pipe wrench.  Leverage is my friend.

attachicon.gifcrank.jpg

Removed the sediment bowl assembly.  There were a few drops of water in there as well.  They hadn't been in there long.  Maybe it was rained on just before the sale or stuff got a shot from the pressure washer.  No crud in the tank and no rust.  The bowl was clean except for the trace amounts of water.

attachicon.gifsediment bowl.jpg

Figured I better file the points as the spark looked weak yesterday.  

LOTS of white corrosion on the points.  I figured if it could fire through all that crud its really going to have good spark once its clean.

Not necessarily.

attachicon.gifcorrosion.jpg

Now I was ready to fire it up.

It popped loud on the first revolution - and proceeded to pop once in a while like a hit-N-miss engine. 

Long story short, It only hits when the impulse snaps.  Went around and around with it for the longest time.  Nothing I did made an improvement.  Its still sparking when turning faster than the impulse is set up for but the spark is not as good.  Makes a good sounding hit-N-miss,  but that's not the goal.

In the end I got tired of it not firing every other round like it should and put my Dewalt impact on the crankshaft bolt to give it some real attitude.   The impact won't turn it over compression so I switched to the Dewalt cordless drill.  That worked but I have to really hang on.  Once the drill has it spinning good it will run on its own and sounds good. 

All the trouble of building the crank and I can only start it with the drill.  :wallbanging:

I'm guessing the condenser is bad or I suppose the magnets could be weak. 

ANY AND ALL INPUT ON THAT IS APPRECIATED.   ????

ok well heres the crank I got given to me after I brought the big Planet tractor. When we went to load someone had put the rest one with it.

sale tooling 007.JPG

#13 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,610 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 06:40 PM

Holy cow, someone else old enough to know what one of those is.  :D

You've got 20 years on me.  :poke:

• Cvans said thank you

#14 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 06:47 PM

Wow the life of being a guru, I can only imagine being cursed with that much intelligence,if it's that bad at an auction the shows must be hell lol, I'll try to remember this the next time I'm in the presents of great knowledge and limit myself to 40 questions or less (depending on how many people are ahead of or behind me in line of course)

Well it really has nothing to due with guruness. I've been collecting and farming with walking tractors for around 35 yrs now. Im also rebuild tractors for the modern truck farming people to use in their operations. About half the people in my group that day are current farmers looking for advise on what the buy and what not to buy, as they need them to be workable units without a lot of missing items. The other half of the group was people from  around the county that I've meet over years and at other sales,  and since they live out of state like to chat. I' ve always got time to give advise and recommend one tractor over the other to people in the need. Big sales like this one don't happen but once a yr or sometimes several yrs aprt. Most of them are to far to travel to, and take time off work for. You come to a show I attend some time and pull up a chair, then ask all the questions you'd like, charge you the same free price as I do everyone else.

• earthgrinder, DougT, Gtractor and 2 others have said thanks

#15 jimmy G OFFLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 304 Thanks
  • 236 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 01:57 AM

Well it really has nothing to due with guruness. I've been collecting and farming with walking tractors for around 35 yrs now. Im also rebuild tractors for the modern truck farming people to use in their operations. About half the people in my group that day are current farmers looking for advise on what the buy and what not to buy, as they need them to be workable units without a lot of missing items. The other half of the group was people from around the county that I've meet over years and at other sales, and since they live out of state like to chat. I' ve always got time to give advise and recommend one tractor over the other to people in the need. Big sales like this one don't happen but once a yr or sometimes several yrs aprt. Most of them are to far to travel to, and take time off work for. You come to a show I attend some time and pull up a chair, then ask all the questions you'd like, charge you the same free price as I do everyone else.

you have been giving me free advice since day one when I posted my late 30s hoe-trac,my dream is to travel the country with a motorhome and trailer packed with tractotos so shaking your hand is a real possibility, I'm looking for gttalk member's at the few shows I get to go to but being small time dairy keeps me close to home and can't do anything fun during hay season,this site and the people like you on it make the pleasure mine
  • earthgrinder, Gtractor and Alc have said thanks