• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 victor3ranger ONLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 09:45 PM

Ok, I have a JD316 frame that still has the front axle and front hydro lines. My idea on the front axle is to turn it around so the steering is attached to the tongue but don't know exactly how to go about this. If anyone has ideas I am hear to listen.

The other part I need help on is....Where to position the lift cylinder to lift the bed.

• KennyP said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 10:43 PM

If you pivot the tongue right behind the axel and attach the steering linkage behind that pivot point?

#3 victor3ranger ONLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 10:56 PM

I was thinking flipping the front axel so the linkage is in the front, that way I could make the pivot point at the axle with the linkage attached to the tongue?

• KennyP, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 07:46 AM

Just making more work to turn the axle around.  Your going to have to pivot the tongue at some point, and attach the tie rods to the axle at some point.  Like MH81 said, pivot right behind the axle and attach the tie rods to the tongue.  You can vary the attachment location to get the right wheel angle with the tongue.  Have done a couple both ways.

Couple different way to hook the cylinder up.  Use a scissor set up under the bed like the older farm wagons but will take more hydraulic pressure that way.  Vertical in front of the bed to lift it up.  Long hydraulic jack like on some engine hoists works good but not fast and is manual.

• Alc said thank you

#5 victor3ranger ONLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 05:49 PM

Just making more work to turn the axle around.  Your going to have to pivot the tongue at some point, and attach the tie rods to the axle at some point.  Like MH81 said, pivot right behind the axle and attach the tie rods to the tongue.  You can vary the attachment location to get the right wheel angle with the tongue.  Have done a couple both ways.

Couple different way to hook the cylinder up.  Use a scissor set up under the bed like the older farm wagons but will take more hydraulic pressure that way.  Vertical in front of the bed to lift it up.  Long hydraulic jack like on some engine hoists works good but not fast and is manual.

Do you have any pictures of the ones you have built?

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,622 Thanks
  • 3,916 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 07:10 PM

You'll need to read this if you are going to build a 4-wheel wagon.

https://en.wikipedia...eering_geometry

• KennyP said thank you