• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 06:24 PM

who knows what about them?  Just brought one home from a garage sale,  not running yet, fingers crossed about engine health (dual shaft horiz/ engine= tough to find if need one) anyone know any  Pitfalls with this series? Going by engine numbers this appears to be a 1983 model. so hopefully still within Troy Bilt's "good old days"....

Edited by dodge trucker, September 24, 2016 - 06:25 PM.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 06:51 PM

if it is a 1983 built by Garden Way it is a good one.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 07:16 PM

Cant go wrong with one from that era!

• dodge trucker said thank you

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 08:01 PM

Grandma had one that she used for years and it was a tank.  IIRC it was from that time period.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 08:33 PM

I bought a new Pony in 2000.  Had to put a 3 gal bucket 1/2 full of lead wheel weights on it to keep it down.  Was more like a bucking bronco than a Pony and was tilling up fresh fill over a new filter bed.  Traded it for a Briggs engine and put it on my old BCS rear tine.  Best move I ever made.  Lot of difference in years between what I had and yours for sure.

• dodge trucker and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 08:25 AM

I basically got it for scrap price at a garage sale, seller said it was his Dad's and it sat in the garage a while.

The 1st thing I noticed about it sitting there was the peeling decals,and the missing flywheel screen. though most of the actual paint looks original and good shape. Appearance wise the worst part is the tine shield which is a bit rusty and wrinkled.

I tried pulling the starter rope and it seemed locked up. so I offered a little less than the marked price and he took it. Said "Yeah" almost too easy.  I am cringing a bit on this one because it seemed "locked up" when I pulled the rope. Yet when I got it wheeled into my Dakota's bed, I grabbed the flywheel fins and am able to turn it, and it seems that something is engaged because the wheels wanted to turn with the flywheel. Yet it freewheels fine when I push it.   I moved all the levers to each position and no change. I'm hoping for a rusty pulley or something holding things up once I get the cover off to investigate.

I looked at it the 1st time we went to town about 9:00, didn't say anything about it to the seller, then.

I came home and looked around CL for an engine, found 3 great looking candidates real cheap on CL so when we went back to town a few hours later I made my offer and paid him, but I was in the Wrangler and had my dogs with me (took them for bath+nail trim  so no room for the tiller), had to go back a 3rd time to actually pick it up. It wasnt til I actually picked it up that I saw that it has a dual shaft engine and hoped I didnt make a mistake buying it, I was relieved when I saw that I could turn the flywheel.....

if I can get it running reasonably I may wind up buying new decals for it.....

my last tiller, a Horse that I had used once for like 45 minutes after putting a brand new engine onto, was stolen from me shortly after. This one is a little smaller, the Horse was actually a bit of overkill for my occasional tiller needs.

Edited by dodge trucker, September 25, 2016 - 08:26 AM.

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 12:49 PM

well it runs, no replacement engine needed. All that was wrong was that the lower  most tab on the recoil starter that is tack welded to the shroud was busted off,  and bent into the flywheel fins.... I didn't crawl on the ground to see that while at the sale. I took the shroud and starter off,  straightened it out on the vise with a flat punch and hammer and MIG'd it back in place.... started right up, IDK how long it has been sitting since last run and the seller apparently didn't know,  either.

I went out to a spot in my yard where the grass is pretty much dead (shady area that grass doesn't grow well in anyway) and tried it out... wow you really gotta hang on breaking hard ground, otherwise itll take ya for a ride.... surprising for the size of this thing...

This one doesn't have, but I thought the Pony was the TB model with counter rotating tines?  

I know this one could use new tines, but the ones on it should hopefully "do" for my occasional need for a tiller.....

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 10:05 PM

thee is a guy at my work that has a side business as an auctioneer that asked me if  wanted to sell my pony, I wasn't thinking about it, though my wife would probably like to see it leave, she's been on me about "all my stuff" lately....

Edited by dodge trucker, September 28, 2016 - 06:11 AM.