7 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 12:17 PM

Sold a dirt bike this morning. The guy called me Friday. Said he'd be at my house at 11am. He showed up at 10:55am. He was polite. We discussed the bike. He handed me cash. We loaded it on his truck and went to the bank to have the title notarized.

Kind of restored my faith in people!

After so many bad experiences it was refreshing to have a nice one. Now if I just sold my 4 Wheeler too!
  • olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 10 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 3,957 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 12:21 PM

It's great to deal with people who have integrity. We just got a leaf vac off craigslist. It was a pleasant experience for us.
  • Alc, Lmiller3358, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 12:26 PM

Usually if I can get them here to look at what ever I have for sale, they rarely argue about the price and after a short tire kicking session they hand over the cash and leave. 

I weed out most of the idiots in the email process. Other than a few no shows, it goes pretty smooth. The jackwagons that start with an email offer of 50% of asking price get deleted. I dont even waste my time on them. I may have missed a few sales that way, but its my crap and I sell it on my terms. If it takes longer, who cares. I dont need the money, I am only selling the stuff to make more room in the shop. If that runs out, I have a 5 acre outdoor "warehouse"

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 12:38 PM

The jackwagons that start with an email offer of 50% of asking price get deleted. I dont even waste my time on them.

I need to learn this. I get so angry. I always respond with "you haven't even seen the item in person, how can you even try to low ball m already"

I always send a few emails back and forth and then throw in are you negotiable on price? That way I know if I can haggle a bit.
  • KennyP, Lmiller3358 and ericjr16 have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 01:37 PM

Most of the sour apples I have had to deal with have been on the stupid $5 items.  Anything of decent value usually have no problem.  Couple times I got lied to but partially my fault. Said they will mail the papers, etc. and never hear from them again.  If i am buying and they want to meet me some place other than their residence I get real leary.  Sold a $3K tractor to a guy 4 hours away.  I siad I would deliver for A fee.  He wanted me to bring it to him.  No way.  You come look at it drive it mow with it.  If you want it,1/2 down the balance plus the trip expense when I get there.  Went real smooth

• Lmiller3358, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 02:22 PM

Am now going through the same deal. Selling a Yanmar Loader tractor for a friend. Everyone that has called lives at least 4 hours away. I will not bring it to them until they have seen it and driven it. Just seems like the sensible thing to do. 

• Lmiller3358, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 04:35 PM

My rule of thumb for CL is phone calls only, no texts or emails to avoid the scammer's, and I  have set hours when to call.. other than that I've pretty good experiences selling stuff, and many times have sold other items when the people showed up !

• Cvans and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 ericjr16 ONLINE  

ericjr16
  • Member No: 54135
  • 352 Thanks
  • 244 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 06:48 AM

CL is a pain for sure! I get a lot of low ballers and time wasters. Buying thankfully been pretty good people except for a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you