#1 LilysDad ONLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,253 Thanks
  • 7,483 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 08:00 PM

How to refill or pressurize an aerosol can.  http://www.alloutdoo...oil-pressurize/

• dthomp17 and Bmerf have said thanks

#2 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 481 Thanks
  • 410 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 08:12 PM

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Never seen anything quite like that.  Not sure I would want to try it because I would be afraid of over pressuring the can and having it blow up on me.

#3 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,263 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Don't know if they're still sold but they used to make a can you partially filled w/ whatever liquid you desired and then pressurized via a schrader valve. I've always figured an aerosol can was what the military calls a one time use item.

I just had a go around w/ Rustoleum because the last 3 rattle cans I bought that had the added 25% never would clear paint from the nozzle when turned upside down so it ended up I never got to use the extra because the nozzle would plug by that time. After some E-mailing back and forth w/ no plausible explanation from the guy across the pond I received a $15.83 check for 3 cans.

• Gtractor said thank you

#4 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,327 Thanks
  • 3,756 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 09:02 PM

Very interesting. I am going to try it just for kicks.

#5 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,355 Thanks
  • 890 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 09:39 PM

Just because you can does not mean you should. I have large stainless steel oxygen tank here for a project...they have a 5 year lifespan after which they are sent to scrap and for good reason. I also recall guys trying to repair lead/acid batteries and every now and then one of those would blow up. When poo blows up it does not care that you are trying to save .25 cents worth of paint  from a tin can. 

POLK COUNTY (WCCO) — One person is dead and another is in the hospital after a garage explosion and fire Saturday, according to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.

The Sheriff’s Office says the incident occurred at 657 U.S. Highway 8 in Apple River Township. Stanley Johnson, 81, was inside the garage “actively filling a small 1 lb LP cylinder from a larger 20 lb tank” when the small tank ruptured and ignited the escaping gas.

Johnson’s wife, 77-year-old Nancy Johnson, was in the garage area when the explosion occurred. She was pronounced deceased on scene.

Stanley Johnson was able to escape the garage. He was transported to Amery Regional Medical Center for treatment of his injuries
Wade B AKA: Ruger2506

Edited by Jazz, September 23, 2016 - 09:48 PM.

• Gtractor, Cvans, shorty and 1 other said thanks

#6 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,405 Thanks
  • 3,817 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 10:01 PM

This reminded me of very funny [to me] event that unfolded one day in jr. high shop class. 

A friend wanted to know what the rattler looked like in an aerosol can of paint.  I told him it was just a round steel ball. 

He wasn't satisfied.

Kept asking how I knew - how big is it - etc.

I said its just like the ball out of a ball bearing.  He was a city kid and I'm not sure he knew what a ball bearing was.

Curiosity got the best of him.  He wanted that ball.  Wanted to know how to get at it.  Kept asking me how to get the ball out.

I was working on my project two workbenches over and wasn't watching him very close.  He kept on.

I finally said if you just have to have it, when the can is empty just hold down on the trigger until all the pressure is gone and then cut the can open to get the ball. 

I was speaking from experience.

I had already done this a couple of years before and all went well because I was certain the can was empty.

He expelled all the contents from the can until it spewed no more. 

He asked what now.  I said rap that can hard on the corner of the bench vise.  

He did. 

Again....  harder.

This should have sent up a red flag to me that it wasn't denting the can but remember I was working on something else.

At this point he still didn't have my undivided attention.

He said this isn't working.  I need a better way to open the can.

I said lay it on the workbench, get a sharp chisel punch and a hammer and drive a hole in the can then use tin snips or pliers to rip the can enough the ball comes out. 

He asked if all the pressure was out.  I said push the button and see if anything is left in the can.  He did and nothing came out.

Looks empty to me I said. 

He whacked the can with the chisel punch and hammer.

Didn't even dent the can.

Again, this should have registered that the can was overly tough for some reason.

Here's where things get ugly!  Apparently the tip was plugged and the can wasn't empty.

This time he hit the can hard driving the chisel punch well into the can of Royal Blue paint which erupted in a small explosion blowing the can wide open.   

The can must have been about 1/4 full judging by the amount of blue paint that went flying all over him from workbench height on up to the top of his head.

He was now saturated in Royal Blue paint.  Top part of his jeans, entire front of his shirt, face, glasses, hair,  all blue.

Well, the explosion drew the attention of the instructor who comes over to find a student that is now mostly Royal Blue. 

By now the entire class is laughing at the kid. 

He's not happy!

The instructor is not happy!

The kid starts screaming at me that I [somehow] ruined his clothes and his mom was gonna kill him first, and then she was gonna kill me. 

I assured him it wasn't intentional but he wouldn't hear it.

He got in trouble in school,  had to walk home, get cleaned up as best he could, and walk back to school.  Then his mom got ahold of him.  As I understand that was the worst part. 

Dang near got me in trouble with the school because he told them I told him to do it. 

I had to explain to the instructor I only made a suggestion, after much inquisition, as to how to remove a shaker ball from a can of paint.. 

did not nor could I make him do anything.

His face and hair was blue for about a week. 

Ya couldn't look at him without laughing. 

• olcowhand, grnspot110, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#7 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,362 Thanks
  • 8,697 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 05:13 AM

There lies above the reason why minors can't buy aerosol cans anymore. Squeaky Smurf finally got around to a lawsuit.
  • Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#8 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 06:13 AM

Kris, knowing you personally, do you really expect me to believe you didn't have more to do with it than that???    :D   :D   :D

The mixing balls are now glass marbles, a bit bigger than the older metal ones.  I had a small peanut butter jar full of them in the old shop, don't bother anymore!

• Gtractor said thank you

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,782 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 07:52 AM

I have used a blow gun to successfully add air to a rattle can.  If a nozzle don't blow clear when inverted I put it in a small container of paint thinner for next use.  Once in a while I run into an odd sized nozzle that won't fit on a different can.  What little WD-40 I use is in a spray bottle.  Usually pick up partial cans at an auction once in a while.

• grnspot110 said thank you

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,253 Thanks
  • 7,483 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 07:53 AM

It would be interesting to test a brand new can of WD40 to see what the pressure is.

#11 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,355 Thanks
  • 890 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 10:23 AM

empty rattle cans..i lay a rag over the can, puncture with a pickaroo and remove the steel ball or glass marble for my collection. Done this for years. 

#12 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,238 Thanks
  • 3,228 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 10:26 AM

I don't want to save a couple of bucks a month, that badly.

• Gtractor and grnspot110 have said thanks

#13 jabelman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38843
  • 1,454 Thanks
  • 1,121 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 10:39 AM

I don't want to save a couple of bucks a month, that badly.

agreed, if you have restore aerosol cans you obviously have way too much time on your hands, just spend the 4 dollars on a new can, why waste your time and safety
  • Gtractor and grnspot110 have said thanks

• Member No: 8367
  • 548 Thanks
  • 435 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 10:55 AM

When I was a kid, young, foolish and believing I was invincible, I used to throw "empty" aerosol cans in a fire!

• toppop52 said thank you

#15 Doxey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 48959
  • 107 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 01:36 PM

There's many videos on YouTube how to pressurize a can.   I haven't tried it yet but  I'm always open to new ideas.  Oh, and I sometimes run with scissors.

• Gtractor and LilysDad have said thanks