What is the difference

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CurtisJ72 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 83756
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 11:56 AM

I need to fix the pto on my Gravely 810, apparently the pto clutch cones are "stuck" so the pto is always engaged.  I'm going to take the pto apart, and probably put in a new pto gear assembly. The question comes up with the springs.  There are RED springs and BLUE springs. (1) what is the difference (2) why should I care which springs are used?

#2 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61995
  • 883 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 01:25 PM

Springs are typically color coded to identify different spring rates. Mix them up and things won't work properly.

#3 pauljac OFFLINE  

• Member No: 63503
  • 14 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 10:16 AM

A friend of mine has a 8199-KT which he purchased with a stuck PTO clutch. He removed the mower deck and left the U-joint hanging from the tractor. This U-joint hangs down, forming an "L". He took his large rubber dead blow hammer and whacked the U-joint. On the 5th blow the clutch released. He has had no trouble since. This recommendation came from Richards Gravely. Let me know how this works out for you.

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#4 Dennie OFFLINE  

• Member No: 77427
  • 64 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 02:28 PM

The pto clutch is made up of cone shaped parts. After they are worn. the inner cone goes too deep into the outer cone. This will cause them to stick in mesh. You will need to drain to fluids from the engine, trans, remove the battery and set the tractor up on its left side to open the trans and replace these items. It is not an easy job. I worked for a Gravely dealer for eight years and never saw a Gravely I liked.