FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 30, 2011 - 07:28 PM

Just a little fabbing tip for you... Next time, use a solid 2" bar and make your cuts on the outside. If you cut a wood form with the 45's much like you did, the "V"'s for the bend are on the outside. This will give you un-cut side on the inside, and a wider "V" on the outside. Doing it that way, will give you an easier fill with the welder, better penetration, and it's a lot easier to grind down the outside than the inside of a corner.

Your hitch looks awesome! You have inspired me to get off my rear end and start in on mine! I just need to get that 225lb weigh package off the back end first!

You did give me an idea about how to work around something I was debating too. I wanted to make the part in the very rear, boxed. Easy to do with 2" angle iron. That way my pin holes could go through the box, and I could use a shouldered pin hole sleeve that I turn on my lathe. That way I can weld in on the inside for a very clean look. I planned to do much the same for the bolt to lock the attachment. I would turn a sleeve with shoulder's and then tap the threads inside it. If you were to look at the top, there would be either one, maybe three pin holes (for offsets) with just a nice clean 1/2" thick shoulder. Because all the welds are under the top angle iron, no welds would be seen. The lock bolts would show the same 1/2" shoulder facing the rear, but tapped. The bolts will have to be much longer, but have a stronger hold. Again, a very clean look and the welds on the inside not only look better, but with the shoulder, and the weld they are locked to the receiver with more than just the weld.

My problem is, that the 2" side arms would of been notched down and on the inside of the 2" angle iron. However, to gain the strength, I need to have a square hitch, where I want the rounded corners. But, looking at you arms, THAT would work to angle mine if the 2" angle iron was angled as well. That really solved a problem I had with my concept!

#32 Justpics OFFLINE  

Justpics

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3424
  • 10 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted May 30, 2011 - 08:31 PM

glad I could help. I actually had a 2" square piece that I welded in. I like your concept of the outside v's. I plan on making a few of these if someone wants them. will make a template. I might even just bend them.

The lift mechanism is giving me fits now it looks (to me) that the drawings I got has the arms at the wrong on the shaft. so I am going to refab the way i think it should be. I wish I had a lathe, and knew how to use it.

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I do enjoy making things I need. looking to upgrade to a gas mig welder, less splatter I think.

#33 Justpics OFFLINE  

Justpics

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 04:12 AM

I quit working on the tractor at 11pm tonight, did a trial fit last night , there were some things that needed changing. cut and shortened the lift shaft so the lift arm that comes out the back was in the center of the slot. re drilled the holes on the right side collar that holds the shaft to let it move to the right some. fabricated the linkage and got that to work smoothly. tomorrow evening I will re fabricate the lift shaft to what I have now.
debating to continue to tear it sown and so the restoration now as I have the seat and left side cover and foot rest off. sure is tempting. what to do? what to do?

#34 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 06:32 AM

For the time being, now that you have the sleeve hitch done, I'd try to get it running &driving right before you restore.

Never fun to put a lot of work in, then find out a ring and valve job is in order. Or the tranny needs detent balls. Or any of a hundred little things that can show up when a machine first goes back into operation.

#35 Justpics OFFLINE  

Justpics

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 12:44 PM

good advice. it starts right up now that I replaced the solenoid. has a little smoke initially. tranny seems to be ok moves thru the gears sometimes a little stiff tho. its the governor that has me stumped. never worked on one before. I think that is my problem to it dying under load.

#36 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 08:50 PM

Try opening the main jet a quarter turn and see if that helps. Just remember to put it back if not.
  • Justpics said thank you