• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 06:12 PM

Hi all, I got this Bolens 1050 in a deal for a Simplicity 7790, got it home today, I know very little about Bolens GT's this one has had the engine replaced with a Honda 16HP twin V I intend remove the Honda and install a Tecumseh OHH15, the Tec came out of a Bolens tube frame so it should fit.

100_0582.JPG 100_0583.JPG 100_0595.JPG 100_0596.JPG

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862, Nato77 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 06:23 PM

Congrats on your first Bolens !

Thankfully the previous owner installed the tank externally and didnt cut the hood up to make stuff fit under there.

The original engine was a TR10D or TRA10D Wisconsin depending on year, I think I would look to find a Wisconsin as your not going to get the OH series to clear the hood, the models that has the OH Tecumseh's had a hood scoop which allowed for the valves to sit slightly above the hood.

If you have any questions as away lots of good Bolens guys here

• boyscout862, MailmAn, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 06:37 PM

I picked up a Bolens G12 with a Tech 1`4 in it a year ago or so.  It had an open hole in the hood with the valve cover sticking out.  Just to clean the looks up a little I built a box & mounted it over the hole.  Since I have a H14 hood that I will put on it to have the original scoop.  G12-4.JPG

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862, MailmAn and 2 others have said thanks

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 07:32 PM

Got a question, when we loaded the Bolens the fellow has a very nice John Deere Compact tractor with a FEL with forks, we used straps and lifted the tractor onto the trailer when we got to my place I couldn't lift it off with the Power king so just pulled it off but the trans would not shift out of gear so the rear wheels slid, any ideas as to what maybe the problem?

Hi chieffan, sounds like if I want to use the Tec 15 hp OHV engine I'll have to do like you did and fabricate a bump in the top of the hood.

Edited by MNGB, September 22, 2016 - 07:34 PM.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 07:47 PM

Sounds like the freewheeling pin is still in

post-8-132893900114.jpg

• MailmAn, ClassicBolens and MNGB have said thanks

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 07:59 PM

Thanks Bolens 1000, I'll check that out in the morning, as I said I know little bout these machines but am learning.

#7 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,638 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 10:35 PM

Nice tractor!

If you decide to go with a Wis engine I have an extra one. Don't really know to much about it but can check it out more if you'd like.
  • MNGB said thank you

#8 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 02:14 AM

Got a question, when we loaded the Bolens the fellow has a very nice John Deere Compact tractor with a FEL with forks, we used straps and lifted the tractor onto the trailer when we got to my place I couldn't lift it off with the Power king so just pulled it off but the trans would not shift out of gear so the rear wheels slid, any ideas as to what maybe the problem?

Hi chieffan, sounds like if I want to use the Tec 15 hp OHV engine I'll have to do like you did and fabricate a bump in the top of the hood

to add to what Brian said about the free wheel pin, sometimes those pins will get stuck/seized in the hub. If it wont come out by rocking the tractor alittle and pulling the pin by hand, spray it up with penetrating oil and remove the tire on that side of the tractor to drive the pin out of the hub. If you don't remove the tire, you usually end up breaking the cast ear on the hub.  I'm not sure if your planing to totally restore the tractor, or if you plan to paint the tins, or if you plan to just use it as a work horse and you don't care what it looks like. But if it were me,  I'd stick with a Wisconsin. The Wisconsin that came in that tractor was pretty much bullet proof. If you do have to go with the Tech. motor you could maybe find a hood from a h14, g14 or another bolens model that needed the scoop, then remove the decals and add the 1050 decals on the side. Just my .02, enjoy the tractor!

• Bolens 1000, Nato77, MailmAn and 2 others have said thanks

#9 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Hi, worked on the Bolens today, this poor old tractor has had a pretty tough life, thanks to advise from fellow members here I got the freewheeling pin out, it was very stuck used penetrating and heat from the smoke tool and a big hammer (I did remove the wheel as advised). Next I worked on the shift lever the bolts that hold the upper and lower flange plates must have came lose and the plates were off and the lever hanging down as far as it could go. Cleaned the rust off the parts and reassembled the shifter and it is working as it should, next was to reconnect the park brake control. Then I connected a battery and tried the engine squirted some gas into the carb throat and cranked it it started up and ran as long as I squirted gas in. set up a small temp gas tank replaced the dry rotted gas hoses and cranked it again it started and ran but some there was gas squirting out the overflow the needle valve was not shut off the flow as needed. Tomorrow will have to clean the carb to get it running as it should.

I have a question what is the shift pattern I looked in the manuals I've been able to download have no pictures of the pattern. 

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 07:47 PM

Heres the shift pattern

Attached Thumbnails

• 1050_Decal_Set__32984.1268753247.1280.1280.jpg

• MNGB said thank you

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 08:53 PM

Hey Bolens 1000 thank you very much that will make it much easier

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 06:50 PM

Today I cleaned the carb (by the way its not a Honda but rather a B&S Vanguard must be getting old) boy was it varnished up inside the shutoff solenoid valve was stuck solid got it out, sprayed carb cleaner on it and it finally let lose reinsatlled it reassembled the carb and it runs great and the Bolens has now moved under its own power, not very far as the qt of gas got used up but it moved just the same forward and back. Took the flywheel screen and blower hosuing off to get all of the mouse nest and what ever out of the cylinders. Looked in the gas tank and my it was a sight sloshed gas around a couple of times some nasty looking stuff came out and it looked better so I poured some lacquer thinner and MEK in it and left it to soak over the weekend.

HPIM2591.JPG

• Bolens 1000 said thank you