• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• Member No: 1713
  • 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 10:23 PM

the 116 hydro i just got is running nice, etc., but when mowing the motor dies . if i can reach the switch fast enough and turn it off, the engine recovers- sometimes.
then when trying to start motor, i have to kick the brake pedal really hard or it will not start.
i am totally baffled..........:wallbanging:

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 10:29 PM

Sounds like a safety switch to the brake is faulty on the starting issue. Could be a safety switch doing the engine dying down also.

#3 chjr69 OFFLINE  

chjr69

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3330
  • 5 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 11:19 AM

Hello it could be the ignition switch its self going bad

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 11:52 AM

Sounds like a safety switch to me too.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 05:51 PM

I would have a good look at all the electrical connections including those mentioned above. Sometimes a bad connection can be very consistent in how it will manifest itself. At some point it probably won't run at all.

#6 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• Member No: 1713
  • 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 11:13 PM

thanks,
i will check all the connections(as Brian suggested) first, -clean the corrosion off,etc...., then check the safety switches- when i do this, can I simply unplug them?
I read that the wires leading to some need to be re-connected? is this so with any of the switches on the 116 hydro?
zolt

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 10:15 AM

thanks,
i will check all the connections(as Brian suggested) first, -clean the corrosion off,etc...., then check the safety switches- when i do this, can I simply unplug them?
I read that the wires leading to some need to be re-connected? is this so with any of the switches on the 116 hydro?
zolt

I'm not sure I understand what your concern is. I'm not familiar with the 116. To check the switches disconnect the wiring from the switch and use an ohm meter to check the switch. Most seat switches will be open (high ohms) when no weight is on the seat and shorted(low ohms) when the seat is occupied. The other safety switches can be tested the same way. If you have a wiring diagram it would make troubleshooting easier. Do a visual on the switch if you can and see if it is adjusted properly. Sometimes the wiring gets dirty and the connections get loose and the connection starts to breakdown. Crimped connectors can also develope bad connections over time. Make sure you have a good connection from the engine block/chassis to the battery - terminal.

#8 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 10:51 AM

I had a 116 and the ignition switch connection would go screwing on mine. I called the Jd dealer and tried to order a new switch, he told me to go out to the shed, clean the terminals up real good and put some de-electic gress on them and press the connector on tight again. Seemed todo the trick. I had issues starting, running the electric PTO etc, it all came from the circular connector on the back of the switch. Just my 2 secs worth,
  • JDBrian said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 10:33 AM

I had a 116 and the ignition switch connection would go screwing on mine. I called the Jd dealer and tried to order a new switch, he told me to go out to the shed, clean the terminals up real good and put some de-electic gress on them and press the connector on tight again. Seemed todo the trick. I had issues starting, running the electric PTO etc, it all came from the circular connector on the back of the switch. Just my 2 secs worth,

Bad connections just happen over time with all the dirt, moisture, vibration and heat that the electrics experience in a GT. I think I have that same connector in my 314 and I will be having a look at it before it goes back together.