Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Lesson learned...when in doubt ...check it out...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 10:13 AM

Especially when gas is missing...Just thought I`d throw a potentially disastrous lesson I learned yesterday. I`m rebuilding a 2414 PK I won on auction and finally got to the point of starting the engine to see if it would run. After a few replacements of electrics and carb...only thing that worked from the original tractor was the fuel pump. Well it cranked up and purred like a Kitten. I had only put a quart of gas in the newly cleaned tank and it ran out of gas after about 30 minutes of idling and revving a... little. I thought boy this thing is gonna drink the gas Since I am kinda mocking up just to test engine knowing I would be taking it back apart to finish some stuff/painting. Got it back together after conjuring throttle and choke linkage to test tranny and again put a quart of gas in tank . Rode it around for about 2 minutes and it ran out of gas ?????? I couldn`t see a leak in all new hose. Scratching my head I put a gallon in so I could ride it around a bit. Runs good,,...Tranny shifts good. Park it in Garage for nite. Smell gas the next morn and a little spot under tractor. Could not find a leak but was finding slightly wet places around the bottom of engine...smelled like gas but feeling a little oily. Decided to get it out of the garage and put it on the carport/shop till I could find the leak. Pushed out the door a little just in case it caught fire I could just roll it down the incline driveway. Cranked it up and about 3 seconds later it spewed about a quart of gas out of the Crankcase vent like a garden hose. Needless to say shut it down and rolled it on out. No fire but sure made a mess in Garage. I haven`t drained it yet but I know where the gas went now.....Bad fuel pump. I was leary about it since it has sat dry for no telling how many years. But it pumped fuel in test cranking before I hooked it tto he new Carb. It was actually gravity flowing in to the crankcase even when not running. I guess I was so happy that it drove and ran good .... I figured I`d find the leak when I got the front grill out of the way again. Be wary of unexplained gas loss !!

• DougT, Gtractor, MH81 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 513 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 10:28 AM

At least you'll have a clean crank case!

• boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 11:16 AM

Hope no damage done.
Glad it runs ad drives good.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 11:17 AM

I'm glad that you are okay. Get in the habit of checking the oil on a new engine anytime that you are going to start it. All engines that have sat for awhile should be checked before starting. That 10 seconds of checking has spared many engines for me over the past 50 years. Good Luck, Rick

• Bmerf said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 01:07 PM

I have made it  a habit to check the oil every time it is started for the first time for the day.  I had an Onan do what yours did.  No harm but sure made me think.  Mine was the main needle leaking as it had an electric fuel pump.

#6 todapuckett OFFLINE  

todapuckett
  • Member No: 83303
  • 10 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 10:30 PM

Sounds like you have either a needle valve stuck open or a float that isn't floating in the carb if fuel is gravity feeding through the carb to the crankcase.  Glad things didn't go really bad

#7 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 07:14 AM

At least you'll have a clean crank case!

That`s what I was thinking....PO had put what smelled like varsol in it....Of course I drained it out and wiped out the goo with rags and a long screwdriver. Put a little diesel in it and sloshed it around too. Good and clean when I put the new oil in it before trying to start it. I  got about a gallon of fluid out of it yesterday

Now that I know it will run, I`m probably going with Mobil 1 synthetic.

#8 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 07:19 AM

I usually check my dip stick on my mowers before I start....didn`t this time cause I had only test run and could see no leaks ....usually checking for low oil not extra fluid...lesson learned !