Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Kioti Power Steering problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 07:26 AM

My brother owns a Kioti LB1914 and it has "THE STEERING PROBLEM".  Apparently, this is a common problem in these tractors.  You can steer right but you can't always steer left.  There is what is called the steering motor that seems to be the problem.  Now by steering motor I'm not sure if they mean simply a valve or if there is more to it.  He has checked into it and found the part alone to be in the neighborhood of $800.  If it is a valve, that's insane.  He doesn't have that kind of cash to put into this thing right now due to mounting doctors bills and such.  He needs this thing and I want to try to help him out but $800 for the part?  Seriously?  I'm wondering if anyone at all on this forum has experienced this and may have come up with a good alternative solution to fix it.  Would another valve be able to be retrofit in to make this thing work properly?  Is there a way to bypass the power steering?  I never get time to really look at this when I am there because I'm busy trying to get his firewood done or mowing or anything else they might need.  Any help at all would be appreciated.

#2 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 07:39 AM

I'am busy doing firewood , grass and soon leaves.As for the steering I doubt if you can bypass it.If it's like my massey and now kubota the steering cylinder is what does the turning of the wheels so the steering control is what sends the oil to either side of the cylinder. Your best bet would be to try and take the control off and take it apart to see if there's a bad o ring somewhere inside the control . There's got to be something blocking the returning oil. Just be careful when you take it apart. Another thing to consider is the steering cylinder itself. The o ring in the center of the shaft could be letting oil past as well from one side to the other. You need to put it back together with all the pieces being in the same place as when it came apart. Good luck. 

Edited by massey driver, September 21, 2016 - 07:41 AM.

• David Brown said thank you

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 08:18 AM

The o ring in the center of the shaft could be letting oil past as well from one side to the other.

If your talking about the cylinder piston I believe this would happen in both directions though, not just one. 

• massey driver and David Brown have said thanks

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 12:31 PM

If your talking about the cylinder piston I believe this would happen in both directions though, not just one. 

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 04:30 PM

Your right.

• Cvans said thank you

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 05:58 AM

Ok first things first, dont take the steering valve apart!you will be sorry you did.
Second,if it turns pne dieection and not the other i bet the nut came off the rod on the steeri g cylinder. This is way too common not to have a look see..
To test: take off the hose to the opposite side you want the tractor to steer to and put in a clean bucket, start tractor and turn steering in the ditection that isnt really working while watching where the oil comes from. If it comws from the cylinder and the wheels dont move, the nut came off
Or piston seals failed .if oul comes out of the hose in the bucket the steering valve has issues or you turned the steering wheel the wrong way,i personally have not seen a steering valve failure that wasnt an external leak, or it would steer on its own because water damaged the check ball springs internally.
Im willing to bet it only turns the direction that extends the steering cylinder rod.
  • massey driver and David Brown have said thanks