• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 05:31 PM

Since I managed to partially collapse my blast cabinet and smash the viewing window, I made some (hopefully) improvements while making the repair.

I would like to say I thought up the improvements myself, but as I searched for blast cabinet modifications I found tons of ideas.

I incorporated some of them now, and will do others as time goes by.

1st, I had to remove the gloves and the plastic thimbles through the cabinet to get the top piece back in place. 

I turned them around when I reinstalled everything so the gloves can be replaced from the outside...easier!

I also drilled the bolt holes a little larger for the viewing window glass casing. I installed 1/4" bolts from the inside out and installed a jam nut.

I also had to enlarge he holes in the plastic casing and allow for the thickness of the jam nuts. I then installed the glass casing using 1/4" wingnuts...Here again, I will be able to remove and replace the glass (& protective sheeting on the glass) much easier in the future.

Some time ago I upgraded the HF blast gun with a better one.

I know everyone loves pictures, so here 'ya go!

20160920_172226_zpsdqjnel7v.jpg

20160920_172220_zpssgiqhvi6.jpg

20160920_171757_zpswarbuvcd.jpg

20160920_171806_zpsquo9jpai.jpg

20160920_171803_zpszsp8nniu.jpg

• Alc, CRFarnsworth, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#2 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 07:25 PM

I made the same upgrade that you did with the glove collars...............DID NOT like it.  The blasting material has a way of collecting in the gloves just outside of the collars.  You can shake most of it back in the cabinet but there will always be some that stays in the gloves and makes it a pain to get the gloves on at times.

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 08:35 PM

Glass changing with wing-nuts is great idea.  My window flips up, is a wood frame and much easier to put on the plastic. Gloves reversed, sounds kinda neat, but I can reach mine good with window raised and you don't change those too often.  Don't forget to make TWO spotlights, one each side to fit and be less shadowy.  That fourescent one they have is no good.

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 04:23 AM

I made the same upgrade that you did with the glove collars...............DID NOT like it.  The blasting material has a way of collecting in the gloves just outside of the collars.  You can shake most of it back in the cabinet but there will always be some that stays in the gloves and makes it a pain to get the gloves on at times.

I don't understand where the media gets into the gloves unless they have holes in them....

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 08:23 PM

I had a 2nd hand plastic "Matco" one at work for a while, got tired of piece mealing it together, so I bought new, HF metal bench top one. Ever since the 2nd time I used this piece o' crap I am wishing for my old one back.  Poster child for why I don't spend much at HF on anything..... figured since it was for me to take to work, and the only one using it, I would not get any $$ for reimbursement, and I got it for use in only about 3 minute spurts cleaning caliper brackets whenever I do a brake job (where the pads like to rust themselves to the brackets)  that's the only time I ever use it (I am a fleet mech for the State) that "cheap" would be fine. Nope.

#6 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 08:42 AM

I'm beginning to think that blasting cabinets are always a work in progress no matter who made them....I've made some changes with parts from TP Products and am happy with all of those changes. VERY HAPPY with the tube and gun in your first photo (ones before from HF and another from TSC were absolute poo, I mean really pure junk)

The reversing glove flange I'm going to try for sure, bought breaks my neck trying to reach in from one end to re-attache a glove. The wing-nut top maybe in my future too, I'm amazed at how fast my static window liners are kaput.

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 08:24 PM

With the gloves on the outside of the cabinet, there is a fold just outside of the cabinet that collects the blasting media.

I don't understand where the media gets into the gloves unless they have holes in them....

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 05:58 PM

Yep! Never-ending story on fixing, replacing stuff on a cabinet.  Tips wear out fast until you spend big money on that special hardened steel one. Window film is always needing changing, specially when media is worn and more dusty. I use plexiglass in mine and still cover with just thick window film you can buy in rolls or by foot at ACE.  Thick stuff, not the cheap kits. I just tape it on the plexiglass in few places to hold while handling to put back in. I still have the plate glass window over all that too. I was just using plexiglass alone, but gets costly to buy that when fogged over. I buy 3ft square one and have them cut it into three 1ft sizes and is exact for my window size.  I've replace a few gloves, not too many, and even the guns will wear out from inside and make pass around grooves that go around the jets in them. They now have a new gun at TP, more money, but might try it, see if easier to hold and last longer or better delivery. Heck, I've even had to replace the pick-up tubes from having holes work in them, mostly on the bent areas. All these parts are from TP tools. NOW, even tho I have metal liner on back and sides of my wooden cabinet, the 2x2 wood cross-pieces holding up the floor grate are now being worn away from sand and one has end completely disconnected from back of cabinet now.  Wood wears out, but I use it alot and been many years. I've been thinking of making a new one. Mine is from the plans that TP tools offers and using their parts. I made mine the 48" wide option, glad I did that.

• jpackard56 said thank you