Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone familiar with the kohler 7000 series?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 10:18 AM

I got a 7000 series 24hp Vtwin on my RZT 54 zero turn and just yesterday i went to start it and it would crank all day, but not fire.

I know i shouldnt have but i was in a hurry and snorted a very small shot of ether in it and it fired and ran like a champ. Backed it off the trailer and let it run 15-20 min, never an issue.

Go out today, same thing.

If i grab the choke linkage (it has the choke as part of the throttle, like the older briggs motors) and push it shut further it fires right up.

Is there some sort of adjustment on it? I havent found anything online.

Its still under warrenty but i called today and they only cover carb issues for 90 days.

Any ideas before i fight with MTD?

#2 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 194 Thanks
  • 195 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 10:31 AM

I have never seen one but I would think that there should be a mounting point for the cable that you could adjust to where your choke would work.

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 10:36 AM

Check and make sure your choke is closing all the way, sometimes the cable slips not allowing the butterfly to close all the way.

#4 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 10:58 AM

Its not closing all the way, i didnt know though if it wasnt suppose to close all the way, i looked at the linkages to see if there was a stop screw and theres not, guess ill check the cable

#5 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 11:10 AM

Let me rephrase that so i dont sound dumb...lol.

I know there suppose to close all the way, but these new engines are so different then the 20 year old + briggs stuff im used to messing with i didnt know if they were different

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 11:25 AM

With the EPA crap they throw on these engines everything has to be perfect for them to run, the older engines always had some give but the new engines have to be always in spec as sadly they come out of the factory just barely able to run to begin with, everything is regulated to be so lean. :wallbanging:

#7 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 11:27 AM

This maybe a dumb question but...

I cleaned the air filter pre treat foam before this issue happend, i forgot to oil it, didnt figure it was a big deal but maybe without the oil its allowing it to be to lean to start?

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 11:35 AM

This maybe a dumb question but...

I cleaned the air filter pre treat foam before this issue happend, i forgot to oil it, didnt figure it was a big deal but maybe without the oil its allowing it to be to lean to start?

I would not think that is the issue

#9 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 11:37 AM

I would not think that is the issue

I wouldnt either. Just wanted an opinion.lol

Ill check it over more throughly tmw, thanks you guys.

#10 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 04:00 PM

What did you find out?

#11 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 02:14 AM

The linkage on the throttle was not pushing the choke linkage up enough, therefore not allowing it to choke enough to cold start.

I remidied it for now by taking a zip tie and leaving the square zipper part between two said linkages.

Once mowing season is over ill fix it properly. I just dont need it sitting at a dealer for weeks, plus, i doubt theyll even warranty it, i called and got a run around. Seeing as how its such a minor issue i may just deal with it myself
  • Alc said thank you

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 05:12 AM

It's a shame that you got a run around on the warranty, especially since you fully diagnosed it. But at the same time, we gotta remember that the dealer is used to dealing with people with no common sense.
Years back my dad dropped a mower off at the dealer for what he thought should be warranty work. The next day he got a nasty phone call about this abused mower and how the abuse voided the warranty. So my dad, being a peaceful man, decided he will pick it up and fix it himself. When dad showed up in his mechanic's uniform, the dealer realized that this guy knew what he was talking about and was willing to try to make things right. He didn't have the parts on hand so he thought he would pull the parts off a new mower. Except they were defective on the two brand new mowers he checked.
  • Alc said thank you

#13 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 06:51 AM

Yeah, as soon as i said carb the guy interupteded me and said "MTD Only warrents carb issues for 90 days because of ethanol"

I tried to explain it wasnt the carb itself, i told him its in the linkage but he wasnt having it. So whatever.

Ive had it since late april, but im sure theyd hollar abuse since it shows a few battle scars, and i have put 60hrs on it which im sure is gonna be considered "exccissive".

So it is what it is, If it was something serious like a hydro id go have a friendly chat with them.

Other then that, ive been impressed with the machine itself, i mow a few yards with it as a side business and it cuts fast and well, and handles ditches with ease that i know would hang up most mowers.

Edited by DZG, October 06, 2016 - 06:53 AM.

• shorty said thank you

#14 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 194 Thanks
  • 195 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 08:37 AM

I'll say one thing I am glad I have a good dealer. If I have a problem they will listen to me. I had bought a new 99 GMC truck from them is how I new they were a Simplicity dealer.

#15 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 09:47 AM

We have 3 cub cadet dealers close by.

The closest one my dad had a very bad experence with, ill buy parts there but never service.

The 2nd closest is run by a bunch of total assholes who i wouldnt buy a can of chew from.

The 3rd place is 45 min away, but theyve always been good to me with parts/advice but not this time