Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Troy-Bilt Bolens Model 14052 side discharge 48" mower deck.

troy-bilt bolens mower 14052

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kim Weaver OFFLINE  

Kim Weaver
  • Member No: 84702
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 09:03 AM

I bought a used Bolens Troy-Bilt tractor with a Model 14052 side discharge mower deck.  The tractor is a 23" rear wheel.  The deck came with the tensioner arm and pulleys unmounted and the middle pulley unmounted as well as the springs.  I assembled as best I could using the parts list as a guide.  The tensioner bottom pulley is rubbing on the arm of the middle pulley where the spring attaches.  Clearly, I have it assembled wrong.  Where do the springs mount and how do I mount the tensioner and middle pulley arms to prevent rubbing?

Pictures are attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3037.jpg
  • IMG_3038.jpg
  • IMG_3039.jpg
  • IMG_3041.jpg
  • IMG_3036.jpg

• MH81, blackjackjakexxix and MailmAn have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 09:16 AM

Welcome to GTT. What does the belt diagram show? Sometimes the pivots wear and get loose. You may need to replace a worn bolt or weld up a hole that has worn too large. Good Luck, Rick 

• Kim Weaver said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,139 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 10:18 AM

Have tried to put the belt on yet?  Looks like about the same set up the deck under my QT has only it is shaft driven.  I think when you get the right belt on that arm with the short spring will move away from the pulley far enough to clear.  Just my guess by looking at it.

#4 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 946 Thanks
  • 375 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 10:30 AM

Here's a quick copy of the parts manual. I'll see if I have an owners manual later. Hope this helps.

Attached Files

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 2 others have said thanks

#5 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,100 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 10:39 AM

There is a parts break down on MTD's web site as well by the looks of it - http://www.mtdparts....-A/070022800001 .

You can then take the part numbers and enter them in the search box at the top of the MTD site.  Some of them will show an actual picture of the part # such as item # 29 1756596  http://www.mtdparts....tdparts/1756596 which may give you a better idea of whether the parts on your deck are correct. 

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and Kim Weaver have said thanks

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 04:58 PM

The tensioner bottom pulley is rubbing on the arm of the middle pulley where the spring attaches.  Clearly, I have it assembled wrong.  Where do the springs mount and how do I mount the tensioner and middle pulley arms to prevent rubbing?

Sorry to say I can't answer your question, but I do know Bolens mower belt routing is not always intuitive.  .....Please consult the belt routing diagram in a manual.

A little tip to check belt routing:  ....If a pulley has a v-groove, it contacts the inside of a belt.  ....If a pulley has a flat surface, it rides against the outside of the belt. 

• blackjackjakexxix, MailmAn, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#7 Kim Weaver OFFLINE  

Kim Weaver
  • Member No: 84702
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 01:33 PM

The routing is easy.  They put a very clear diagram on the mower dexk  It is the spring routing and the actual arrangement of the tensioner arm.

#8 bonusbuilt1950 OFFLINE  

bonusbuilt1950
  • Member No: 82972
  • 93 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 09:07 PM

Take a look at this. It shows the belt off to the side in the pic. It is the same setup as a 42" deck that I have on my Troy Bilt/ Bolens LTX16 hydro.  I am looking for a 48" deck for mine. Can't seem to find one in the New England area.

Attached Thumbnails

• iplimage (6).png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: troy-bilt, bolens, mower, 14052