Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 08:55 PM

Bought this at auction today.  Trying to figure out what it is.  I know picture doesn't show what you need to see.  I'll get better pics tomorrow.

Does anyone know what these 3 wheeled utility buggys are called.  Has 2 person bench seat. Engine under the seat.  F-N-R trans with variable speed belt drive. Step through design.

I believe I used to see small classified adds for them in magazines years ago.  ???

2 much.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP, Traill95 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 09:01 PM

Heald hauler?

• Gtractor and EricFromPa have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 09:33 PM

For some reason I really Want it.I could haul my tool boxes and small gas powered compressor all over the neighborhood and do door to door mower repairs lol

What engine is in it?

The Rampage looks a little light on it's front toes hehe

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 09:55 PM

Engine is 16 horse Briggs twin.   Looks like the key switch is fried, has burnt area around contacts.  Standard looking Indek switch.   Big sparks when I  try to hook up a good battery.  Old battery acts like its taking charge now that I got it unhooked and out.  Gas smells good - for gas - not soured. 

Special thanx to Bmerf for the identification!!!!!

Front view.

Heald Hauler.jpg

• grnspot110, Bruce Dorsi, backwoods and 3 others have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 11:19 PM

Check this out.Available with Briggs 11hp single cylinder engine and briggs 16hp opposed twin.3 wheel and 4 wheel Kits were available back in the 1980s.

http://auction.repoc....cfm?ID=1097379

Popular Science magazine add from October 1982.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by EricFromPa, September 19, 2016 - 11:20 PM.

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 04:01 AM

Yep, it is a HEALD.

I think they used to be advertised in GRIT magazine too.

• Gtractor said thank you

#7 ericjr16 ONLINE  

ericjr16
  • Member No: 54135
  • 347 Thanks
  • 244 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 05:22 AM

Neat machine! Cool old Dodge little truck you got GTtractor!! Haven't seen one in years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 05:45 AM

Nice find!   :thumbs:

Just what you need, ------------------------------------- another project!!!   :D   :D   :D

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 05:50 AM

Kool machine but, as I recall, they were tippy. Be carefull with it. What was in the bed of it? Looked like a bunch of sheets of metal. Good Luck, Rick

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,750 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 06:16 AM

Paint it green and yellow and call it a gator prototype. You'll make millions.
  • Gtractor, EricFromPa, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#11 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 06:39 AM

thats a cool buggy 

#12 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 07:43 AM

Kool machine but, as I recall, they were tippy. Be carefull with it. What was in the bed of it? Looked like a bunch of sheets of metal. Good Luck, Rick

Aluminum frame storm windows.  They were laying in the back when I bought it.  After looking at pictures of other Healds I think this ones bed is totally homemade.  Someone did a fine job building it but there is no tailgate.  Be easy to add later.

Dija all notice it took a whopping 6 minutes to identify this thing on GTT?

I'd been searching for 30+ minutes and couldn't come up with an identity.  Posted it on here and BOOM!

Edited by Gtractor, September 20, 2016 - 07:48 AM.

• grnspot110, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 01:18 PM

I like the add it says (6-8 hours of assembly time) that is 2 weeks and lots of beverages now a days.lol

Wish you could still buy Kits like these.You used to see all sorts of Kits like these in magazines back in the 70s and 80s.I think I even seen mini dozer kits somewhere.

Internet killed the magazine subscriptions for me.Used to get a bunch of Science and mechanic related magazine subscriptions every couple weeks.Still have boxes of old Popular mechanics,Science Digest and some old Hot Rod and a big pile of old Antic and Atari computer magazines up in the attic.

• Gtractor and Marty'70 have said thanks

#14 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 01:49 PM

8 hours labor takes 2 weeks,  :rolling:   you must have the same disease I have.

I think its called oldassitis and sets in somewhere between age 35 and 40.  :(

Eliminated the key switch and hotwired the engine.  Fired right up and run.....  on one and a half cylinders.

Switched the spark plugs.  Then it ran on the opposite cylinder.  :D  With one new plug it runs perfect on both cylinders.

The air filter was installed wrong and could have been breathing dirt.  Couldn't tell for sure.  With your add from 1982 above I'm guessing this is somewhere in there close.  If its a 1982 machine the air filter is a 1986 model.  Looks pretty bad.  Oil looks like someone just opened a can of black paint and poured it in.  Muffler outlet is black like its been run rich - which how could it not trying to breathe through that air filter. 

One side of the engine is slightly oily, not built up to where it can't breathe but needs a good cleaning.  Engine doesn't smoke as best I could tell.  As the oily cylinder came up to temp. with its new plug it was burning that oil off.  After that I didn't see any smoke.

860 feet to the mailbox one way.  Aired the front tire up real tight and me and Poochie headed out fully planning to be walking back up the hill.  By the time I got to the highway it was doing so good I pulled out on the road and retrieved todays postal delivery.   Back up the hill we came just a scootin' along.   Rode it around about 20 minutes.  had to re-air the front tire twice in that time.  Steers terrible hard if the front tire is not pumped up like a basketball.   Back tires are brand new.  Still running on the gas that was in it when I bought it.  Guess the diaphragm pump is working OK because the tank is lower than the carb. 

There was an extra starter laying on it when I bought it so I figured the starter was out.  Its dry for sure - sounds bad but spins the twin right over.  Really need to pull the engine and give it a good servicing.  Drive belt seems lose to me but works fine.  It'll spin out on gravel if I hit the throttle too hard. Variable belt drive is OK but I wish it had a three speed tranny instead of just F-N-R.

Very pleased with my purchase.  Now I can say I have a "side by side"  :poke:  and didn't have to drop $10,000 to get one. 

Counting gas to the auction and back [58 miles each way] and purchase price I'm still under $100 in investment.  

Edited by Gtractor, September 20, 2016 - 01:53 PM.

• grnspot110, Bruce Dorsi, EricR and 1 other said thanks

#15 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 348 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 01:53 PM

I like the add it says (6-8 hours of assembly time) that is 2 weeks and lots of beverages now a days.lol

Wish you could still buy Kits like these.You used to see all sorts of Kits like these in magazines back in the 70s and 80s.I think I even seen mini dozer kits somewhere.

Internet killed the magazine subscriptions for me.Used to get a bunch of Science and mechanic related magazine subscriptions every couple weeks.Still have boxes of old Popular mechanics,Science Digest and some old Hot Rod and a big pile of old Antic and Atari computer magazines up in the attic.

Google Struck Magnatrac  kits  Don

• EricFromPa said thank you