Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

GT 20 Loader

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nmlange OFFLINE  

nmlange

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3096
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 07:47 PM

Hello, I am a new memer here, I purchased a GT20 last fall, and am now looking at building a loader for it, does anyone out thre have a loader mounted to their GT, and how do they like it.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 8,403 Thanks
  • 12,499 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 07:53 PM

nmlange, First off Welcome to GT talk. I had a ARK 500 loader on a Wheel Horse GT14 and loved it. I had a weak moment and sold it, STUPID, I know. There are several members here with loaders on their GT's. Glad you found us and have fun.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,569 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 08:33 PM

:wave: nmlange Welcome to GTTalk! Great to have you with us. As was said above, there are several members who have them and I'm sure that they'll be along soon! I would also love to have a loader and a backhhoe for a GT...maybe someday!
  • nmlange said thank you

#4 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• Member No: 611
  • 36 Thanks
  • 134 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 03:15 PM

I have a GT20 that I use for mowing and snowblowing, and I have a GT17 with a custom built loader. I love both machines. The GT20 is an excellent tractor. It is very maneuverable which makes it easy for mowing, and the snowblower is like nothing else I've ever used. I have a gravel driveway, so the floating feature on the blower is great, plus it uses a clutch rather than shear pins to protect the gearbox. It's a nice feature, since I suck up so many rocks I'd be replacing shear pins 8 times per storm.

My loader experience is limited to only my tractor (never used anything else), but as I see it the GT series is a bit tricky for this application. The person who built my GT17 loader changed the stearing pump so that the steering ratio is much quicker than my GT20. The quicker steering makes it much easier to swing it around in tight spots. Without that feature it would be a lot more cumbersome to use, so keep that in mind with your build. But the biggest issue I have is traction. I have wheel weights, a weight box full of cement, another cement weight hanging off the weight box, and 2 50lb sand bags on top of the weight box. Despite this massive counter weight (easily over 400lbs), I still have trouble getting traction with a full bucket. A locking differential would go a long way to making this a more usable machine. Also, anything you can do to lighten the load up front would help. Not overbuilding it is key.

At the moment I am also having an issue with powering the pump for the loader. The coupling built by the original owner between the front PTO and the pump just snapped. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out a better way to connect the two. The Ariens 15 spline front PTO shaft really limits your options.
  • nmlange said thank you

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 03:41 PM

nmlange,:welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.
  • nmlange said thank you

#6 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 637 Thanks
  • 1,057 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 04:27 PM

Loaders are awesome.I'm looking for a Johnson "Work Horse" 10TC myself.
Manual for 10TC http://gardentractor...8183c4d08572866

If I can't find one reasonable I may build one.
I found this nice Loader Cad Blueprint a while back,it looks fairly simple to fab up most of the components.
http://gardentractor...f631c4d0e19434c
  • nmlange said thank you

#7 Encrypt OFFLINE  

Encrypt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 502
  • 9 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 06:26 PM

I have a GT18 and looking to put a Loader and Backhoe on mine. If I don't find one I will most likely build it myself. I would like to get the Kwik-Way system but I have heard they are pretty expensive. I have found some really nice plans for some loaders and may just go that route if I have to.

#8 nmlange OFFLINE  

nmlange

• Contributor
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 10:27 PM

I have looked at quite a few plans, and loader manuals, I think that I am going to end up building my own, trying to take the best features from what I have found. I will post pictures of the project as I go along, and will let everyone know how it goes when I'm finished.

#9 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 1,846 Thanks
  • 3,139 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 10:45 PM

:welcome: to a great GT tractor site. I have a couple of loaders and think you will find them very useful especially if you live in the country. The best advice I can give you is to set your hydraulic relief vale so you don't over stress the tractors front axle. 400 lbs is a lot to move with a garden tractor.
Good luck with your project!
  • nmlange said thank you

#10 nmlange OFFLINE  

nmlange

• Contributor
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for the advice, I pretty much have my design done, at least in my head, now to get it on paper, make about a 100 changes, and then the on to welding table.