• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 08:54 PM

Hi My 455 power steering cylinder is pouring oil out of it.  From what I see they cannot be rebuilt or new seals put in.  Is there a trick that someone has?

Other than paying big $$ for new one and even the ones I find on Ebay are not cheap.  Anyone know of an aftermarket cylinder out there?

Thanks

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 09:00 PM

I have never seen a cylinder that cannot be rebuilt. Maybe some cheap Chinese junk but nothing that is mounted to any decent tractor. You just need to find a parts breakdown and it should be fairly straight forward from there. If that is the same cessna unit used on the 400 then unless the housing is cracked, and most are, you can simply buy the oring and scrubbers and it is very easy to rebuild. If it is the cylinder I mentioned I just rebuilt on so can help if you need.

#3 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 09:07 PM

I have never seen a cylinder that cannot be rebuilt. Maybe some cheap Chinese junk but nothing that is mounted to any decent tractor. You just need to find a parts breakdown and it should be fairly straight forward from there. If that is the same cessna unit used on the 400 then unless the housing is cracked, and most are, you can simply buy the oring and scrubbers and it is very easy to rebuild. If it is the cylinder I mentioned I just rebuilt on so can help if you need.

I been looking for rebuild kits have had no luck so far.  Going to pull it off and dig into it see what I find.  Thanks

#4 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 09:15 PM

I been looking for rebuild kits have had no luck so far.  Going to pull it off and dig into it see what I find.  Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/...jgAAOSwpDdVPlgt

http://www.ebay.com/...jgAAOSwpDdVPlgt

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 09:22 PM

That is certainly not the cylinder I was thinking of but can help if you need anyhow. Best of luck tearing it apart seems pretty straight forward.

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 09:45 PM

I just checked the 455 Manuals I have and can not find any instructions to repair the steering cylinder.

Take it to a reputable hydraulic repair shop and they can take care of it for you.

Some of this stuff is made to not be repaired and the manufacturer will charge you Deere-ly for the new part.

A hydraulic shop can cut it apart, reseal and weld it back together at a much lower cost. They will have or can get the seals it needs.

#7 pidjones ONLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 05:43 AM

Have you tried a power equipment dealer? Most places that repair hydraulics for bulldozers, etc. should be able to give you an idea if it is rebuildable.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 08:13 AM

Take it to a reputable hydraulic repair shop and they can take care of it for you.

A hydraulic shop can cut it apart, reseal and weld it back together at a much lower cost. They will have or can get the seals it needs.

Don is right, it can be rebuilt.  I've cut ends off myself, rebuilt, then welded the end cap back on.  

• Alc said thank you

#9 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 10:46 PM

I looked at it tonight and it would have to be cut apart.  Hmm.  So, is it just me.  Or does not the thought of cutting would expose the hydro system to a hole wack of contimnation.  I guess a good hydralic shop would be equipped for that, thinking that still going run couple hundred $$.  

Is there any aftermarket cylinders avaiable?  Cheaper that OEM.  I do see few used ones on Ebay.

Thanks