• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • Member No: 84646
  • 6 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 07:42 PM

So, once my Sovereign is back in action, where are some good places to look for attachments?

Some things I've been interested in would include:

-Rear tiller for a garden

-Possibly a plow or disc harrow or similar...something to cut through sod? I have an area for a garden next year that is grass now, and I want to work on food plots for deer where I hunt, if possible. 

-sickle mower....seems like these were not made in great numbers, but one would be super useful for me for maintaining access roads where I hunt...cutting back the weeds on the edges is a major pain in the butt. 

I thought about a snow blower for the front, although my tractor came to me with a dozer blade, which should work for most of our snow falls (vast majority are under 6"). 

Any suggestions on finding such things, and/or what to look for if/when I do find them?

Thanks!

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 11:12 PM

Tractor shows, swap meets and CL are your best shots. I've bought tractors just to get the attachments that came with them. Good Luck, Rick
  • tddeangelo said thank you

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 08:53 AM

Should be pretty easy to find most of the items you are looking for.  Once you grab a sleeve hitch for the back, any sleeve hitch or brinly style attachments are fair game, and plentiful.  Tillers and other powered implements are pretty common too.  The sickle is a stretch, but they do pop up occassionally.  I have one I'm listing for sale today, to pay for other needs.

http://gardentractor...990785-dorr-mi/

• tddeangelo said thank you

#4 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • 6 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 10:18 AM

Thank you! 

Help a clueless tractor guy out.....what is a sleeve hitch?

#5 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 878 Thanks
  • 493 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 11:40 AM

A sleeve hitch attaches the implement with a single pin.  The pin goes through 3" or so sleeve on the hitch so the implement can be raised or lowered.  It's the modern system for garden tractors and seems to have replaced the category 0 3-point used on older GTs.

I believe the Simplicity is a bit different than others in there is a bar with a chain that actually does the lifting, the sleeve hitch just provides a pivot point and does the pulling.  Here is a picture of one with a plow attached :IMGP5863.jpg

I just bought a Simplicity plow that came with the Simplicity sleeve hitch and the lift chain (no bar).  The plow was purchased near my mother's house in Akron and she still has it, I'll be picking it up this weekend.

I expect I'll be offering it for sale as early as next week.  If you're in western PA and want to take a trip to Akron this weekend we could probably work something out.  You could make the lift bar with a piece of pipe.

There are some pictures of the plow before the hitch was removed in this discussion:http://gardentractor...moldboard-plow/

The pin was seized in the sleeve and was cut off to free it from the plow.  The pin needs to be pressed out.

Edited by MiCarl, September 19, 2016 - 11:51 AM.

• SimplyRad said thank you

#6 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 193 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 02:02 PM

MiCarl

I would be interested in buying that sleeve hitch for the Simplicity. I do need on and would keep me from fabricating one.

#7 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • 6 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 02:04 PM

So I'm gathering that having a sleeve hitch would be good....could remove it I find an attachment for a price I want to pay that would need the 3pt hitch, or use if if I find stuff for a sleeve hitch? Probably should just get it when I need one, unless they're hard to come by?

My spidey sense is tingling. Something tells me that my "get a throw-away mower" quest that turned into "hey that's a pretty cool garden tractor, I could do some stuff with that" has now turned into a hobby I didn't expect? :)

Edited by tddeangelo, September 19, 2016 - 02:05 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 03:43 PM

So I'm gathering that having a sleeve hitch would be good....could remove it I find an attachment for a price I want to pay that would need the 3pt hitch, or use if if I find stuff for a sleeve hitch? Probably should just get it when I need one, unless they're hard to come by?

My spidey sense is tingling. Something tells me that my "get a throw-away mower" quest that turned into "hey that's a pretty cool garden tractor, I could do some stuff with that" has now turned into a hobby I didn't expect? :)

Its a great hobby that helps around the house. It makes mowing, gardening and snow removal fun. When you are properly setup. you have a tractor with attachment for each chore. That way you don't have to switch attachments. Good Luck, Rick