2 replies to this topic

#1 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 862 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 03:24 PM

Here is a unique Lawn Boy I saw at the Susquehanna Old Fashioned Field Days on Saturday.  A pre-WW II vintage Lawn Boy by Evinrude.  A fellow forum member, cheapjunk, just acquired this vintage mower on steel wheels.  As I was there listening to what he knew about it a fellow stopped by and told us as a kid he mowed grass with one and proceeded to tell us about the controls.  If you pull back on the handle bar grip, the wheel drive disengages and when you let the mower rest on a foot mounted on the left side of the mower,(lower blue arrow in the photo) the reel drive stops.  You will note there is a clutch noted by the second blue arrow in my photo.  Neither he or the new owner have any idea about the empty socket on the handlebar knuckle where handlebar height is adjusted.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1640 (Medium).JPG
  • IMG_1662 (Medium) copy.jpg
  • IMG_1661 (Medium).JPG

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, Traill95 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Rustysteele OFFLINE  

Rustysteele
  • Member No: 72710
  • 140 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 05:00 PM

The empty socket on the handle I believe is so the handle can be moved over to the side so the operator can walk alongside of it, possibly to make room for a collection bag?

• earthgrinder said thank you

#3 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 862 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 08:22 PM

The empty socket on the handle I believe is so the handle can be moved over to the side so the operator can walk alongside of it, possibly to make room for a collection bag?

Not an easy task.  There is a rod or cable running inside the handlebar to disengage the wheel drive.